X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCCC DEFCON 21 Offical Rules

BCCC DEFCON 21 Offical Rules
    General Parameters

Teams will be tasked with cooling a beverage to the target temperature of 38 Fahrenheit in the quickest and most creative way possible.
    Competing teams shall consist of up to three badge-wearing DefCon attendees.
    Teams shall pre-register for this competition in a signup thread to be announced in the "Unofficial Contests" area of the DefCon forums.
    All contest beverages will be provided at or above ambient room temperature. Cause that shit is undrinkable after sitting in the sun that long.
    Cooling contraptions won't be judged on cooling speed alone but also cooling accuracy.
    Any beverage that passes through a team's contraption will become the property of that team and may be distributed to bystanders, but the contest organizers shall have no control nor responsibility of such distribution and consumption by third parties.

Specific Requirements

All contraptions will be tasked with cooling the beverage by nearly any means necessary.
    No direct contact with coolant fluids, water or water based ice. Co2 and LN2 excepted from this rule as they are commonly used in many beverages. Our beverages must be pure.
    The contest will provide the beverage. You cannot provide your own beverage during the contest.
    No commercial appliances.
    All contraptions must be constructed and designed by the team.
    Power will be available but is by no means required.
    The goal is to have the fastest time to cool a 12oz beverage and have them transferred into cups at the target temperature.
    Due to potential foam issues multiple cups will be allowed per beverage poured.
    There will be 3 separate runs for time/Temperature
    The temperature will be measured in each cup as it is being transferred.
    The target temperature is 38 degrees Farenheit.
    Time will be added for each degree off of the target temperature.
    Time will be subtracted for each 12oz beverage cooled and transferred into cups
    This year, the contest will be back at its traditional time of 12:00pm on Friday

Scoring

Total Time for the 3 timed beverage: time in seconds
    Off target scoring: +2 seconds added for each degree off target (no penalty if on target)
    per 12oz beverage conatiner cooled: -.5 seconds (You can cool as many beverage as you can, not just the 3 timed beverage.)
    note: the total number beverages we will have is not unlimited. We will eventually run out of them.
    +2 seconds added for flavor tainting and ie: a metallic taste or other off-notes to their beverage
    +2 seconds added for completely flat beverage
    +1 seconds added for each incident of spillover - Try not to waste our precious beverages.

Fastest total time WINS!

Prizes

Prizes will be given for:
    BCCC Winner (1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes)
    Team Style prize
    Design prize
    Last edited by Nz0; June 7, 2013, 01:47.
    Paid for by the Our Thing Foundation

Re: BCCC DEFCON 21 Offical Rules

Not that I am likely to be involved, but can you state what the target temperature is, because there are two different ones in this initial post.

Teams will be tasked with cooling a beverage to the target temperature of 38 Fahrenheit
    and

The target temperature is 42 degrees Farenheit

Comment

Fixed it. Gah.. proofread by 3 people and we all missed that one. Thanx pointing that out.

Comment

How about as time goes on and folks hit the target temperature often, you can draw a number out of a bowl and you have 13:37 to adjust your system to attain that temperature.

Comment

Clarification:
          Does at or above room temperature mean the beer will be left in the building then taken out instead of being left in the sun first?

What exactly does "no commercial appliances" mean?
          A. you can't bring an item that you just paid money for with no configuration to it?
          ( say a kegerator for example?)

B. you can't buy a number of items and just bolt them together?
          ( say a copper manifold and a coolant pump).

C. does no direct contact with coolant fluids apply if the coolant fluid becomes a gas or if the coolant is non liquid ( ie no dumping LN2 or pellitized co2 to the precious beer)?

D. do the three beverages have to be done in sequence or can they be done in parallel, ie opening all three and pouring into device.

Comment

my same question that came up last year: is this going to be a Friday or Saturday event? noonish or some other time? I'd really hope to be able to watch if possible, and some of the team members who are free on Friday but not Saturday would love to have a go at the contest again.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
              How about as time goes on and folks hit the target temperature often, you can draw a number out of a bowl and you have 13:37 to adjust your system to attain that temperature.
              Interesting Idea. However, this could make for a very long contest to judge. I suppose I could limit it to 1 run that way and get away with this idea. I chose the 3 runs so that adjustments could be made for in time for the next run. Skip to the next team ect... if a team needed more time. There needs to be a good "flow" of "beverages" this contest. Long breaks make it much less interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by stormking View Post
                Clarification:
                Does at or above room temperature mean the beer will be left in the building then taken out instead of being left in the sun first?
                The beer will be left in the sun for some time prior to the contest. I plan on treating the beverages much as I did last year and setting it out before the contest begins. Temperatures are likely to be at least 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

What exactly does "no commercial appliances" mean?
                A. you can't bring an item that you just paid money for with no configuration to it?
                ( say a kegerator for example?)
                Exactly; I don't want someone to just bring in something they bought at a store. There needs to be some design to it. A kegerator straight from a store would be disqualified. (and it would be way too slow and lose.) However, a kegerator that was stripped down and the compressor, tap, or insulation was used as parts and hacked together with an engine from a Harrier jet would be perfectly acceptable.

B. you can't buy a number of items and just bolt them together?
                ( say a copper manifold and a coolant pump).
                This is actually perfectly acceptable. Be creative. Have fun. I suspect you will need a bit more design that 2 parts in order to win.

C. does no direct contact with coolant fluids apply if the coolant fluid becomes a gas or if the coolant is non liquid ( ie no dumping LN2 or pellitized co2 to the precious beer)?
                This was something I debated during my proofreading of the rules with people. This is mostly about the safety of anyone that must juge or dispose of the beverages. Obviously, most coolant will affect the flavor and or toxicity of the beverages. Also, I don't want diluted beverages. The goal in this rule is to keep the beverage pure and safe for anyone who might end up being charged with the judging or disposal of the beverages. There should be a barrier of some type between any coolant used (I just don't like the flavor of gasoline.) and the beverage to keep the beverage from contamination. However, I will make an exception for co2 or LN2 as they are commonly used in many beverages. I will amend the rules to this end.

D. do the three beverages have to be done in sequence or can they be done in parallel, ie opening all three and pouring into device.
                The 3 timed runs are to be done separately. Scoring is the total of all 3 runs. If adjustments need to be made to a contraption, it can be done in between runs. And remember, time is subtracted for each beverage chilled in addition to the 3 timed runs until we run out of beverages. Thus improving your score. Adjustments can also be made prior to the start of the contest. Feel free to set up and make adjustments with your own test beverages as early as 1 hour before the contest (Contest likely starts Friday at noon.)

-Nz0

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                  my same question that came up last year: is this going to be a Friday or Saturday event? noonish or some other time? I'd really hope to be able to watch if possible, and some of the team members who are free on Friday but not Saturday would love to have a go at the contest again.
                  I also really hope you will be able to watch this year.

The consensus last year was that Friday was a better time. So to quote from the rules..

Originally posted by Nz0 View Post
                  This year, the contest will be back at its traditional time of 12:00pm on Friday
                  -Nz0

Comment

So to quote from the rules
                    heh, derp. i didn't read the whole rule list because i'm not a participant. it pays to read, though, so now i know. :-)

see you on Friday.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

BCCC DEFCON 21 Offical Rules
                      Great scoring system. Hopefully I'll make it out next year to test it out. ;) Good luck to all the contestants!
                      "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Comment

Gentlemen, start your contraptions!

Comment

Working...
                        X