Tips on getting liquor at RIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on getting liquor at RIO

If you drive to Las Vegas, you can bring all you will drink, but for those who fly in, it can get quite expensive to keep buying liquor from the RIO store.

As far as I know there is no liquor store within walking distance.

One option is to ask a new friend with a car to drive you or just take a taxi to the nearest liquor store, which last year cost me $15.

Another option - in late 2012 new shop opened at the McCarran airport: Liquor Library - "Americas' first non-Duty Free airport liquor store! The best prices at the most convenient location, inside the Terminal 1 Baggage Claim across from Carousel #1! Beer, Wine, Spirits, and much, much MORE!".
    Not sure how good these "best prices" are, but I will be sure to check it out when I land.
    ..::800xl::..

Re: Tips on getting liquor at RIO

Getting a six-pack for yourself is fine. If you plan to have a party you better have the blessing of the hotel by buying their alcohol or else you'll most likely be shut down. So, personal consumption only.

Comment

Yeah, I've found that a great way to do it (if you want to get smashed) is to carry around a drink bottle (coke, nalgene, etc) and a bottle of rum/vodka/etc in your backpack. Buy the soft drinks from the hotel, and discretely mix your drink, then just drink from that. As long as you keep it low key you probably won't get hassled. Same goes for beer. If you're discrete you'll be just fine. Remember that even if what you do is legal, it's also legal for the hotel to trespass you just because they don't like you.

Of course, if you get "caught" by a security goon you should offer them a drink. You know, just because we're all friends around here.

Kallahar
      --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

If you buy it at the airport, stuff it in your luggage. "Offsite" liquour being brought in to the hotel has attracted the "eye in the sky" before. During con, stash the actual bottle of alcohol out of sight where you can access it easily, in relative privacy, and restock your "innocuous" soda/water/flask in relative privacy, as noted by Kallahar.
        "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
          "Offsite" liquour being brought in to the hotel has attracted the "eye in the sky" before.
          Has that really been an issue I have seen multiple coolers/bottles etc. at the con the last 2 years never noticed and issue?

Not really concerned if it is we should all be innovative enough to make it discrete.

Comment

1. Buy one beer at a shop in the Rio.
            2. Keep the receipt.
            3. Only carry and drink that one brand for all of DefCon.
            4. If questioned as to its origin, pull out your receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by lanrofls View Post
              Has that really been an issue I have seen multiple coolers/bottles etc. at the con the last 2 years never noticed and issue?

Not really concerned if it is we should all be innovative enough to make it discrete.
              You probably saw them either a. only briefly before they were put under cover somewhere and opened as needed or b. full of something that may not have been booze or booze that was previously purchased from the hotel. It isn't a HUGE problem, no, as long as you are, as noted, discrete.

The hotel likes to make money. It knows the con drinks A LOT of it. They probably won't care about a bottle or a six pack but roll in with a case of booze or a keg and they care. :P
              "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by 800XL View Post
                If you drive to Las Vegas, you can bring all you will drink, but for those who fly in, it can get quite expensive to keep buying liquor from the RIO store.

As far as I know there is no liquor store within walking distance.

One option is to ask a new friend with a car to drive you or just take a taxi to the nearest liquor store, which last year cost me $15.

Another option - in late 2012 new shop opened at the McCarran airport: Liquor Library - "Americas' first non-Duty Free airport liquor store! The best prices at the most convenient location, inside the Terminal 1 Baggage Claim across from Carousel #1! Beer, Wine, Spirits, and much, much MORE!".
                Not sure how good these "best prices" are, but I will be sure to check it out when I land.
                IIRC, there's a liquor store not too far away from Rio on either Flamingo or Valley View.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  IIRC, there's a liquor store not too far away from Rio on either Flamingo or Valley View.
                  Walking distance?
                  ..::800xl::..

Comment

There's a Food 4 Less (grocery store) about 2 Vegas blocks West of the Rio.
                    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Walking distance?
                      I'll double check the next time I'm over that way.

Comment

I can agree with the previous comments on discretion. I can also attest to being hassled about outside alcohol, as certain other attendees can attest to.

Onsite prices aren't all that horrible when compared with any other high traffic store, but they aren't nearly as nice as prices from nice inexpensive stores.

If you have to buy offsite, keep your booze in your room and only carry what you're drinking and you'll be okay. If you wanna carry lots of booze out and about, buy it onsite.
                        Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Walking distance?
                          The one down Valley is about .7 miles (per Google), Green Valley Grocery.

Comment

There is one of the best priced liquor stores near the strip in the Gold Coast Hotel. That is within walking distance of the Rio. I personally am driving up and bringing my booze. An extra suitcase is useful for getting it in. I buy these these soft side skins from the liquor store called shark skins. They are great. Another tip is buy the shooters at your local store pack them and just buy mixers at the RIO store. Plus I hear the goons like a shooter now and again.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                              1. Buy one beer at a shop in the Rio.
                              2. Keep the receipt.
                              3. Only carry and drink that one brand for all of DefCon.
                              4. If questioned as to its origin, pull out your receipt.
                              Unless it's Rolling Rock, then throw it away. That beer is shit.

Last year I flew with a couple bottles of booze in my luggage, and that was enough for me and some to share with friends. I found that beer took up too much room in the Rio mini-fridge and just purchased those from the bar (or traded for liquor).

Bring a flask and if you donate some $ to a cause he cares about, Y3t1 might be willing to put some of his amazing art on it for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X