DC 21: Murder, Mayhem and Mysterious Diseases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC 21: Murder, Mayhem and Mysterious Diseases

Get ready for the ultimate forensics challenge! This year's Network Forensics Puzzle Contest is the first in our new "P.I. Series." Your evidence will include:

- Blackhole Exploit Kit 2 infection traffic
    - VOIP (SIP) traffic
    - GPS data
    - Android filesystem dump (yep, it's more than just network forensics!)
    - MMS video messaging
    ... and more!

Follow the trail of dead bodies, leaked documents, and mysterious diseases. Featuring Jack Stone (private investigator), Victoria Jensen (the suspicious wife), a strange blackmailer, and the CEO of a large DoD contractor. Can you unravel the twisted web they weave... or will the murderer get away?

Come by the Network Forensics Puzzle Contest on Friday to register and pick up your evidence CD!

Re: DC 21: Murder, Mayhem and Mysterious Diseases

Originally posted by sherri View Post
    Come by the Network Forensics Puzzle Contest on Friday to register and pick up your evidence CD!
    I am unfamiliar with this contest (I didn't notice it last year...), so I'd like to ask: are teams allowed? Or is this only for solo contestants?

For instance, I don't want to spend hours to do the entire contest on my own, but one of my degrees is in microbiology, so I may be helpful in some capacity. Also, I've studied immunology, epidemiology, as well as the pathology of environmental toxins, which makes me an unofficial but potentially good resource when it comes to "mysterious diseases"...

Regardless, I hope the contest goes well and I suggest you try to keep the barriers of entry a reasonably low and allow team-work... otherwise, people are much less likely to sign up for the contest, let alone actually complete it. I'm not sure what you've got planned for a prize, which is another good incentive, but I love the contest title! I will definitely try to remember to stop by and pick up a CD, regardless of my free time at DEF CON... I'd also like to hear about who wins (at closing ceremonies or online after the convention... ideally both) and what kind of storyline was involved (I assume the preliminary information will be on the CD).

Organizing a contest isn't easy, but it doesn't have to be tough either. Most of all, it needs to be fun, challenging enough for your target audience, and ideally social too. Best of luck!

[edit: I just found this website ( http://forensicscontest.com/ ), which seems to explain the years past and leads me to assume there will be no teams this year... but please correct me if I am wrong.]
    Last edited by nulltone; July 11, 2013, 12:01. Reason: found a URL

Comment

Re: DC 21: Murder, Mayhem and Mysterious Diseases

Originally posted by nulltone View Post
      I am unfamiliar with this contest (I didn't notice it last year...), so I'd like to ask: are teams allowed? Or is this only for solo contestants?
      Teams are allowed and encouraged! In real life, investigations are a team effort, and so is the Network Forensics Puzzle Contest.

Comment

Working...
      X