Now that Crash and Compile is over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that Crash and Compile is over...

People were interested in seeing the problems and test cases used during the contest. I created a git repo with all that information.

https://github.com/krux702/crashandcompile

Once I get the code cleaned up and pretty, I'll post the grader/web code as well.

I did have some great ideas to eliminate the problem we had with my dev environments matching your dev environments. That'll involve a complete grader rewrite, but will let you run the code on your own machine. This fixes two big problems. One, of course is that if my machine doesn't match yours, then your code may or may not compile, and that's hard to troubleshoot. Two, it's a real problem for me running the server, since I have to take random code that you wrote, compile and execute it, trusting that you haven't been up to any funny business.

Since it was my first year running the contest, I essentially took Austin's grader script from last year, and rewrote the web/database part from scratch. Didn't have the experience with how the grading part actually worked for the contestants, since we were the crazy people who couldn't use it since our dev platform was a 30 year old mini computer we turned into a robot.

New version of the grader will work like this...

You submit your code to the server.
    Server generates a test case or test cases for you, and starts a timer.
    You run the test case against your code and submit the results back to the server.
    Get the result on if you passed or failed.
    The test case(s) would be large enough that you couldn't solve them by hand within the allowed time period.
    And since doing all that is a pain, there would be a series of scripts written that automates all this for Windows/Mac/Linux
    This also lets you get creative and modify the script to support using other platforms. Want to run it on a PDP11/23 you turned into a robot? You can do it.

I'm really happy that the contest went well, despite the hickups, and have some awesome plans for next year. I want more people to be able to participate, and so having a more fool proof grader should help us do that.
    perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Re: Now that Crash and Compile is over...

thank you again for the awesome contest and for posting the test cases. Now, off to figure out where my code failed the tests...

Comment

Thanks for putting on an epic contest!!
      Trying to decide if I want to try the coding part of it next year or volunteer for Distraction again :) Looking forward to it either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dionysus View Post
        Thanks for putting on an epic contest!!
        Trying to decide if I want to try the coding part of it next year or volunteer for Distraction again :) Looking forward to it either way.
        Go for the contest!

Comment

Originally posted by tecknicaltom View Post
          thank you again for the awesome contest and for posting the test cases. Now, off to figure out where my code failed the tests...
          Keep an eye out on the @crashandcompile twitter feed. Once the new grader is up and running, I want to run another round. Of course teams will be on the honor system as far as drinking is concerned, but it'll give people a chance to hone their skills for next year.

Comment

Working...
          X