No announcement yet.

That Whitenoise Challenge That Black Hat Would Not Take has officially started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Whitenoise Challenge That Black Hat Would Not Take has officially started

That Whitenoise Challenge That Black Hat Would Not Take has officially started. Please go to:

http://www.wnlabs.com/news/challengeDEFCON.php

Rules : http://www.wnlabs.com/news/Rules.php

A link to the contest files will be email to you within a 24 hour cycle.

Launch thoughts:

Some people on the outside look at us at DEFCON as freaks. I see all of us as part of our best hope in answering the question of how we balance Privacy and Security. The answer to this question will fundamentally impact what democracies look like in the future.

In days past, art, cartoons and imagery led to sea changes in systems. Even recently a religious cartoon resulted in carnage around the globe.

That role is likely to pass to technophiles who have an ability to communicate to millions of people instantly. That has never been possible before.

As we work together to fix network communications security, we have a chance to impact democracy – and it’s simple!

Democracies work just fine when the majority of people given the gift of democracy actually use it.

Currently about 7 out of 10 persons let the other 3 out of ten people vote for them.

If that was simply reversed, and 7 out of 10 participated then resulting outcomes would reflect the image of current societies.

We only need another 4 of the 7 to step up – and this challenge is about stepping up.

Even today in 2013, in a lot of countries, many of you would be jailed, killed, marginalized, silenced and the like for having tattoos, Mohawk hair cuts, nose rings, and most threatening of all – the ability for critical thinking and an opinion.

But, just try to imagine the panic at DEFCON and Black Hat if a critical infrastructure or electrical grid went down. It would make an interesting film to see DEFCONian reactions if we couldn’t turn our computers, tablets, or smart phones on anymore.

In any event, the question of our age, How Do We Balance Privacy and Security, can not be answered in a balanced way without our involvement and oversight and participation.

The challenge now is too much information. How do we sift through all the WHITENOISE and find the honest brokers so that we have honest, even and balanced communications as we search for the best answers.

Good Luck on the Whitenoise Challenge That Black Hat Would Not Take.

DIVA

Re: That Whitenoise Challenge That Black Hat Would Not Take has officially started

What is the prize of this contest? I see in the rules:

There is one prize available to be won, consisting of 200 Ks (the "Prize"). The prize(s) may be cash, any corporate financial instrument that is liquid and convertable, or any instrument of equivalent value. The choice of the instrument used for the "Prize" will be determined at the sole discretion of the contest sponsor(s) and Whitenoise Laboratories Canada Inc.
    But it's not really clear what the "Ks" are that you keep talking about. USD$200,000 (in cash or some other instrument of equivalent value), CAD$200,000 (in cash or some other instrument of equivalent value), or something else? I sure hope it's not the case, but the way you keep using the awkward phrasing of "200 Ks" leads me to be skeptical or even think that this contest is deliberately being deceptive about the prize. I hope that's not the case, and I look forward to seeing your clarification.

Comment

Re: That Whitenoise Challenge That Black Hat Would Not Take has officially started

Originally posted by tecknicaltom View Post
      What is the prize of this contest? I see in the rules:

But it's not really clear what the "Ks" are that you keep talking about. USD$200,000 (in cash or some other instrument of equivalent value), CAD$200,000 (in cash or some other instrument of equivalent value), or something else? I sure hope it's not the case, but the way you keep using the awkward phrasing of "200 Ks" leads me to be skeptical or even think that this contest is deliberately being deceptive about the prize. I hope that's not the case, and I look forward to seeing your clarification.

I bet it is 200 foam letter 'K's.

Comment

Tom

the prize is in Canadian dollars. Please review clarified rules page.

Inquiries to participating in this contest can be directed to info@wnlabs.com

DIVA/Andre

Comment

Where is it normal to use language like 200Ks to mean $200,000 in official rules of a contest? This whole contest (IMO) reeks of illegitimacy and I really get the impression that if somebody were to take the time and crack it, that they would be denied the prize due to one of the weird legal quirks of the rules.

Comment

Excellent point, for a contest with this much money on the line I'm sure the company would agree to put the money and the official judging criteria in escrow so that they don't have the ability to reneg on anything.

Up for it?

Kallahar
            --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Working...
            X