Amateur (Ham) Radio Exams!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur (Ham) Radio Exams!

Hello all! This is Brendan, K3QB, back to give you all another exciting round of ham radio exams.

Do you come back from DEF CON and wish that you had something more awesome than a many-day hangover and a stack of t-shirts to show for it? Are all your friends showing off their work with an SDR, long-range RFID, or other crazed wireless shenanigans? You, too, can get your ham radio license and use 15 *thousand* times the power of ordinary WiFi (or many other things)!

I'll post more details on taking the exams soon, but for now: if you're a licensed ham radio operator at General class or above, and have *any* interest (or can be beaten into having some) in helping with the ham radio exams on Sunday, please contact me: k3qb at arrl dot net. We had more than 150 exams last year, and we're hoping for this year to be significantly bigger, so we need all the help we can get! If you're not a licensed Volunteer Examiner, you've got plenty of time to get that done (it takes nearly no time and no cost); email me and I'll show you how. Yes, GENERAL AND ABOVE. You do NOT need to be an Extra to help out. And yes, even if you've never helped with an exam session before, WE NEED YOUR HELP! It takes just a few hours and is a blast.

(If you see this, and you think you're already on my list: no harm in emailing me anyway, though I'll try to send an email to my current list soon. But seriously, just email me.)

Questions? Comments? Want to tell me how ham radio has changed your life? k3qb at arrl dot net.

See you there!

Re: Amateur (Ham) Radio Exams!

Originally posted by USSJoin View Post
    Hello all! This is Brendan, K3QB, back to give you all another exciting round of ham radio exams.

Do you come back from DEF CON and wish that you had something more awesome than a many-day hangover and a stack of t-shirts to show for it? Are all your friends showing off their work with an SDR, long-range RFID, or other crazed wireless shenanigans? You, too, can get your ham radio license and use 15 *thousand* times the power of ordinary WiFi (or many other things)!

I'll post more details on taking the exams soon, but for now: if you're a licensed ham radio operator at General class or above, and have *any* interest (or can be beaten into having some) in helping with the ham radio exams on Sunday, please contact me: k3qb at arrl dot net. We had more than 150 exams last year, and we're hoping for this year to be significantly bigger, so we need all the help we can get! If you're not a licensed Volunteer Examiner, you've got plenty of time to get that done (it takes nearly no time and no cost); email me and I'll show you how. Yes, GENERAL AND ABOVE. You do NOT need to be an Extra to help out. And yes, even if you've never helped with an exam session before, WE NEED YOUR HELP! It takes just a few hours and is a blast.

(If you see this, and you think you're already on my list: no harm in emailing me anyway, though I'll try to send an email to my current list soon. But seriously, just email me.)

Questions? Comments? Want to tell me how ham radio has changed your life? k3qb at arrl dot net.

See you there!
    Thanks for your announcement!

I created the forum for wireless village last night, and finally made it to this event. I've moved your radio exam thread here, but have left a permanent redirect from the wireless village forum to this forum and thread. This gives your topic a presence in both locations, but retains all discussions in one thread.

HTH,
    -Cot
    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 9, 2014, 06:57.

Comment

See you there!
      I see this request from twitter:

https://twitter.com/USSJoin/status/421767669755281408
      Originally posted by tweet
      @TCMBC Hey---could you update the forum description link (currently ARRL) with ConHam .org? Trying to provide a basic FAQ. Thanks!
      Does this mean you want to see this forum description changed from :

Originally posted by present
      Want to get your amateur (ham) radio license? (Registered ARRL Event)
      To:

Originally posted by future
      Want to get your amateur (ham) radio license? (site)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        I see this request from twitter:

https://twitter.com/USSJoin/status/421767669755281408

Does this mean you want to see this forum description changed from :

To:
        Yes, please. The ARRL event link is from last year in any case, and the new ConHam.org will try to be a source for quick information (including the new ARRL link, when it goes live in two weeks).

Thanks much!

Comment

Yes, please. The ARRL event link is from last year in any case, and the new ConHam.org will try to be a source for quick information (including the new ARRL link, when it goes live in two weeks).

Thanks much!
          Done! Please let us know if there are more changes desired to description or more links to add.

Good luck!
          -Cot

Comment

Looking forward to helping this year!

Comment

We are now confirmed; Sunday, 12pm-3pm, in the Crypto/Privacy Village. For those of you who were at the DC21 session, that means we'll have *much* more room, and hopefully *many* more examinees to fill the seats! In addition, it looks like the Wireless Village will be running an exam cram session on Sunday morning to help you finish (or start) studying! Get to those books....

Comment

Just to confirm: exams will be available for Extra-class as well as the lower levels?

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
                  Just to confirm: exams will be available for Extra-class as well as the lower levels?
                  Absolutely! We have a massive horde of Extra-class VEs available to grade the exams, so we'll be offering Tech, General, *and* Extra-class licenses.

Comment

See you there!
                    Brendan, you do you guys need extra VEs to help? I filed my paperwork with ARRL HQ yesterday, might be processed in time..

Comment

Originally posted by Station View Post
                      Brendan, you do you guys need extra VEs to help? I filed my paperwork with ARRL HQ yesterday, might be processed in time..
                      We can always use an extra hand; after the huge number of people we had last hear (and we're hoping more this year!), more VEs are a good thing. Email me:k3qb -at- ARRL -dot- net.

Comment

See you there!
                        Hey, one more question: I have a friend who's interested in testing up. He's had his Technician-class license for several years, but doesn't know where the paper copy is. When upgrading to a higher class, must one provide a physical copy of one's current amateur license, or is a valid lookup (with verified personal information) on the FCC website sufficient?

Comment

Hey, one more question: I have a friend who's interested in testing up. He's had his Technician-class license for several years, but doesn't know where the paper copy is. When upgrading to a higher class, must one provide a physical copy of one's current amateur license, or is a valid lookup (with verified personal information) on the FCC website sufficient?
                          He can request a replacement copy on the FCC web site. Usually takes a 10-14 days to receive it. A paper copy speeds up the check-in process, and he'd need it should the FCC come visiting. When he gets the replacement, he can (should?) cut out the wallet "card" and keep it in his wallet anyway if he's using HTs.

Larry - AE5WH

Comment

Lookup on the FCC website is entirely sufficient, and we'll be able to do that at checkin. Larry's answer, above, is not untrue---it's easy to get a replacement from the FCC, and it can help in certain cases---but you don't need to bring it to DEF CON just for the exams.

Comment

Lookup on the FCC website is entirely sufficient, and we'll be able to do that at checkin. Larry's answer, above, is not untrue---it's easy to get a replacement from the FCC, and it can help in certain cases---but you don't need to bring it to DEF CON just for the exams.
                              Thanks, Brendan. That answers my question. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X