Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The bleeding Zombie targets will be returning this year :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bleeding Zombie targets will be returning this year :)

For last year's DEFCON Shoot, I decided it was time to give something back to an event that (as a non-free citizen) I enjoy so much. So, I loaded up the rental with 8 Zombie targets from Zombie Industries and drove from San Diego to Las Vegas. I so wanted to take them out of the box and place them in the spare seats, seat belt on, and then get pulled over by the cops :)

Anyway, the feedback that Deviant got about them being there and available for everyone to use and abuse was awesome, so I am planning on bringing them again this year. Given the amount of abuse they managed to withstand, I will probably only bring 4 or 5 targets this year, so unless they all get hit by the cannon, I am sure they will survive the 2 days (4 sessions) just fine.

The one issue we did have last year with the Zombies was finding a way of getting the wooden support stakes into the ground. Does anyone have any ideas of how we could achieve this?

Can we book the lanes yet? :)

Last edited by Zorlac; January 10, 2014, 02:28.

Re: The bleeding Zombie targets will be returning this year :)

Originally posted by Zorlac View Post

The one issue we did have last year with the Zombies was finding a way of getting the wooden support stakes into the ground. Does anyone have any ideas of how we could achieve this?
    Even in the non-summer months, the ground out there is so rock hard, I resort to cutting rebar at stupidly steep angles and driving it in with a big ass hammer. Tends to hold up pretty well and is substantially less of a bitch to pull out of the ground when you're done. I've winged the 3/4" stuff with everything from 9mm to 7mm Rem Mag and haven't had a ricochet come my way yet, nor have I had a bar get too damaged to use for the day. As long as the cannon and 50 BMGs stay away from it, might be an option to consider. I've also tried the same methods with wood and PVC, which always give out before the getting deep enough to reliably stay up. Been out there at times when there have been a few hay bails left strewn about, which also make awesome target stands, but are shitsauce for price and transportability, let alone the fire hazard aspect.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Oh I always saw those targets but never realized they're for anyone to shoot. Though if I remember correctly they were somewhat close so shooters should be in close proximity to your lane probably.

Comment

I`ll try to get Dev to explain at the safety talk before the sessions that these Zombie targets are a fee-for-all. I think they were only close because they were the only place we could put them... the ground was too hard to put them anywhere other than propped up against something else that was already there.

Comment

There was a little lip/ridge on the ground maybe 40ish yards out right? What if you used a PVC or metal platform that you put your main support into? That way the base should be protected.

Comment

The Zombie targets were awesome last year. Really enjoyed shooting at them. I would suggest making wood/PVC platforms. Last year there were a few of these (lane markers if I remember correctly). We used rocks to hold them down, however I think the use of sandbags would be best. The use of wood/PVC/sandbags would a safe approach. If someone local to Vegas wants to build some platforms I'll bring sandbags and work on filling them before the shoot this year.
            Scavenger Hunt Team: Too Old for Captain Crunch

Comment

Thank you for bringing these back. We love love love these things. My kids still talk about when the one zombie magically caught fire. Cannot wait to see them back out on the range.

Comment

Working...
              X