This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteers Needed

With the main Shoot Registration started up, I'm also ready to build up a list of volunteers for Staff and RSO positions. I have a couple people tentatively on the list, but to get the Shoot functional I'll of course need a number of folk more.

As a reminder for the past participants and an explanation for the new ones...

RSOs - At any given time we have 4 to 5 people in orange vests who are acting as Range Safety Officers. They do not shoot, do not socialize, and do not do anything at all besides monitor the active shooting (all barrels in safe direction and muzzles on the line) and enforce cease-fires (verify all guns are cleared and safe and enforcing when folk can walk downrange, not approaching steel on tables, etc). I take on RSOs who have experience with firearm oversight and it helps with LEO/mil experience. I like to populate my list with ten RSO volunteers.

Staff - The Shoot also relies on having 3 to 4 people in yellow vests at ay time who are general Staff. These are the individuals who check-in attendees and get them badged, help people to figure out what lanes they are using, answer questions, etc. I like to populate my list with about eight Staff volunteers.

... now to the specifics about volunteering.

1. Volunteers serve two shifts across the two days of the Shoot. You can do this by working both shifts on one of the days (and not really shooting at all that day) or spreading your effort between two days (and getting to shoot, socialize, etc for half of each day)

2. Volunteers get a badge (either Staff or RSO badge) and this allows them full access to the event for both days. No need to purchase a Shooter badge.

3. There is a dedicated "staff" lane tent on the firing line. When you're off-shift, you can set up there and fire away with other Staff or RSOs who have downtime and are not wearing their vests.

4. If you're interested in volunteering, send an email to shoot[at]deviating[dot]net with the following details:
    * name / nickname (if desired)
    * email address (if there's a best address for contact, better than the one you're using)
    * mobile number
    * position requested (staff or RSO)
    * qualifications (if you've helped before or your background with Range Safety if you want to RSO)
    * SHIFTS REQUESTED

I cannot stress how helpful it is for me if you mention that last part. So many volunteers do not specify which days they plan to be out there with us and which shifts they want to have. I really want to keep all this as casual and easy-going as we can on the schedule. I don't like it when folk wind up getting volun-told about their positions or scheduled slots.

I'll reply as soon as I can with email details. If you have more than one person who would like to help with you (sometimes significant others also volunteer) please give me all of the relevant above for the other people, as well. If you want to serve on the same shifts as someone (so as to have your downtime/free time match theirs) please tell me that, as well.

Volunteer positions are more-or-less first-come, first-selected... but there is a slight preference for folk who have been on my team in the past. So let's say that at least through the end of April i'll give preferential position to folk who have served on the DC Shoot Volunteer Team in years prior... but don't let that dissuade you from emailing. We ALWAYS wind up needing people in the end. Even if you pre-reg, i'll let you cancel at the last second if we tap you as a volunteer and i'll refund your registration money on-site.

See you in the desert!
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; March 25, 2014, 10:44.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Volunteers Needed

we're pretty darn close to the Shoot and at present we only have one yellow-vest Staff volunteer and five orange-vest RSO volunteers.

this is not enough to run the Shoot properly and safely.

if you are free and willing to come out to the DC Shoot and put in two shifts (either as RSO or Staff Volunteer) please email me (shoot@deviating.net) and i'll get you added to the list. You get in for free and can use the staff lane tent when you're off duty.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Volunteers Needed

I've gotten some great replies. Thank you all. I hope i didn't scare anyone with the "DEFCON Shoot is in Danger of Not Happening" message... there was a slight game of telephone plus the limits of 140 characters that made it sound a little more dire than it was.

Still, i would not run the Shoot if i felt we couldn't be safe, so the additional volunteers for RSOs and General Staff are greatly appreciated.
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
      X