Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Up Suggestion Thread

Hello!

First let me apologize for our lack of inactivity over the past few weeks. Life and jobs have delayed our planning a bit. However, we are back on track and getting ready for our second meet up.

With that, I would like to open a suggestion thread for this years meetup. What suggestions would you have for this years DEAF CON? Remember, we are an independently funded unofficial event, so please keep your suggestion within reason. Thanks!

~arose4beni
    "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Re: Meet Up Suggestion Thread

i loved that the Deaf Hacker's meetup was in the hangout area last time. I liked that it gave DEAF CON a little more exposure and incorporated others (at least in passing) in the moment.

Two considerations, however...

1. it wasn't super easy for those arriving to find the right table. perhaps a DEAF CON sign could be made? I could see about laser-ing some foam core or even just heavy card-stock paper into a large version of the DEAF CON logo (the "hacker" hands symbol that was the badge last time) in a high-visibility color. If we're lucky, you might even find a helium balloon or two... affix the sign to the balloons (along with an anchor line) and just let that float above the table?

2. I'd like to be sure that the Deaf participants themselves liked the public meeting area. I don't want them to feel as though they were on display for the other attendees or anything. I doubt that was the case, and I didn't hear that from anyone, but it's still ultimately best to meet where they would prefer.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Meet Up Suggestion Thread

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      i loved that the Deaf Hacker's meetup was in the hangout area last time. I liked that it gave DEAF CON a little more exposure and incorporated others (at least in passing) in the moment.

Two considerations, however...

1. it wasn't super easy for those arriving to find the right table. perhaps a DEAF CON sign could be made? I could see about laser-ing some foam core or even just heavy card-stock paper into a large version of the DEAF CON logo (the "hacker" hands symbol that was the badge last time) in a high-visibility color. If we're lucky, you might even find a helium balloon or two... affix the sign to the balloons (along with an anchor line) and just let that float above the table?

2. I'd like to be sure that the Deaf participants themselves liked the public meeting area. I don't want them to feel as though they were on display for the other attendees or anything. I doubt that was the case, and I didn't hear that from anyone, but it's still ultimately best to meet where they would prefer.
      1) Yeah I think maybe we should make a sign or something. I can see what I can dig up from school. We have a quite a bit of colored card stock that honestly just sits in the supply closets.

2) I didn't hear anything about meeting in public, but some of the feedback I heard was that it was hard to see due to the darkness in the hangout area. I know on Sunday it seemed a bit brighter, so maybe we have to make sure it is a tad brighter in there for our meetup? Not sure if that is possible.

Also, I know the shirts I will order for the interpreters this year will say "ASL Interpreter." Last year, Knollgrass and b_gret got mistaken as spoken language interpreters.
      "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Comment

Working...
      X