*UNOFFICIAL* Defcon Toxic BBQ X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *UNOFFICIAL* Defcon Toxic BBQ X

Sorry for the latish posting on this, but rather late than ever...

As normal we are available via twitter on @ToxicBBQ #toxicbbq #defcon #defconparties

Come one, come all to the tenth annual...

Really has it been that many?

Aww shuddup and get back to the post...

Tenth annual *UNOFFICIAL* Defcon Toxic Barbecue. For those of you who do not know, the Thursday prior the conference, which is quickly turning into the first day of the conference, we hold a little meet and greet out at a nearbyish park.

Where: Sunset Park Area F (same place we try to normally hold it) 2601 E Sunset Rd
    Las Vegas, NV 89120 (36°03'49.5"N 115°07'04.5"W approximately) map at end

When: 7 August, 2014 1600-2200 (that's 4:00-10:00 P.M.)

What will happen: Conversations, lots of great people, food and libations consumed, flaming pits

Why do we do this: Insanity (personal guess there), there are many times when we all don't feel like we necessarily fit in. Going to your first Defcon can be an intimidating experience. Going to your tenth Defcon can be an intimidating experience for some of us. This lets you break the ice and get to know some people that you will see roaming the halls of the con. They are fascinating people with incredible minds that can give you all sorts of information (hint hint contest delver)

How can I get involved: Bring something that burns well on a grill, and something cold to drink, share some with others

FAQ

What should I wear: It's Vegas in the summer time and it is outdoors. You can wear a parka if you like, but I wouldn't suggest it.

But I need a ride: I'll be the guy in the black kilt and ponytail outside the Penn and Teller theater box office between 1430 and leaving at 1500. I have a couple of seats I can offer, and normally there are a few others that show up with vehicles. We do a run to Sam's Club to pick up a bunch of things to burn before showing up at the park. If you think your going to get lost, need to pick up food (let's be real here, liquor), or want to be helpful, this is the time and place to show up.

Where is the closest grocery store: There is an Albertsons nearby (south on Eastern), but if you want to attack a place in mass, show up at the Penn and Teller box office between 1430 and leaving at 1500, and we'll figure out a way to shoehorn people and groceries into whatever we have.

Where is the closest Liquor Store: This is Vegas baby, all the grocery stores are liquor stores.

Should I bring extra: Toxic BBQ has always been known as a place of hey try this, I swear you'll like it

I'm new (old, green, purple, from Mars, first con, been here since Defcon .035, should I come: Absolutely, this is the perfect place to meet like-minded individuals

No really what should I bring: BYOE (Bring your own everything) We set this thing up, get some basic foodstuffs to get things started, and attempt to organize chaos, you bring everything else including the chaos.

The not fun stuff: Nevada state parks do not allow glass containers in them. The police get nasty and take away your alcohol if it is in said glass containers. There is nothing we can do to undo this, so sorry.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

~Graverobber

Re: *UNOFFICIAL* Defcon Toxic BBQ X

So I hate to say it but this will be my first Defcon I won't be at for the entire time. I'll be showing up Friday night so save me some of the goodness Graverobber and make sure whoever takes my spot on the grill this year can actually keep up!
    Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

It won't be the same without ya, but I'm sure we can find some sacrificial lamb, er um volunteer, to burn things while chilling with a cold one in hand.

~Graverobber

Comment

Thank you for helping run this GR.

This is one of the best social events at DEFCON. Outside, faces full of food, it seems that many can come out of their shell just a bit easier.

Was there a guestimated headcount last year, or any items that ran out first?

Comment

I can't stress this enough, Graverobber, that you make sure people know this is mostly BYOE. The years I have attended, and helped do donations and such, there are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS gasbags who say "But I didn't get anything to eat, this thing sucks! Con should buy more stuff!"

CON DOESN'T BUY SHIT FOR THIS EVENT. It isn't a con event. It is done out of pocket by volunteers who like meeting people. BRING BEER. BRING HOT DOGS. BRING SOMETHING OTHER THAN YOUR HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPO MOUTH. AND SHARE IT!*This has been a personal opinion, not at all part of anyone from the "staff" of the event. You don't like my comment, take it up with me, not Graverobber or anyone else.*

BRING STUFF.
          "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

True story eris. Plenty of leeches out there don't realize events are what THEY make of it!

Comment

Thanks for bringing the chaos! I usually try and make sure to bring not only what I am going to eat, but something to eat it with...like my mouth...and sporks, plates, foil...I have always bought a cheap, but decent cooler as well. It's nice to keep things cold at the Q and in your room for when you get home from your 36 hour bender and need a cold beer.

Comment

Graverobber:
                Thanks for stepping up and getting this going. I should be there to cook (as with all the previous ones).
                Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Unforeseen issues have thrown a wrench in my schedule.

Sorry
                  Last edited by oz0ne; August 1, 2014, 07:40. Reason: words
                  "It's much more fun to be sand, than oil, in the machinery of life." - unknown

Comment

Working...
                  X