Call for Talks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for Talks

Each year the HHV hosts talks on a variety of subjects. If you have something you want to present post a brief message in this thread and I will be getting with each of you to discuss it.

Thanks

Re: Call for Talks

I can probably squeeze in a couple of things since I ended up not talking about anything last year.
    LEDs as an input device
    An example of how bypassing security can be easier than taking it head on
    Maybe some stuff on LF RFID, now that I understand it a lot better, and hopefully should have some cloning devices for sale.

I believe tieshort was talking about making the talks a little more well known, do we have any options from DC to promote them a little better than a projector with a text file schedule being displayed? Also, is the HHV sharing space again this year? Maybe we can coordinate with those guys.

Let me know what I can do to help out.

Comment

Yes this year since we are not selling any kits I will be promoting the hell out of the HHV talks.

Comment

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
        Yes this year since we are not selling any kits I will be promoting the hell out of the HHV talks.
        Did not know kits weren't being sold. I was planning to have a new and improved version of the RFID kits from last year. Meant for the DarkNet game but can also be for general sale. I also believe the DarkNet guys are banking on kits being sold in the HHV. I will have to check in with them.

Are we still allowed to do kit sales in the HHV provided they are sold at cost, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by l33tbunni View Post
          Did not know kits weren't being sold. I was planning to have a new and improved version of the RFID kits from last year. Meant for the DarkNet game but can also be for general sale. I also believe the DarkNet guys are banking on kits being sold in the HHV. I will have to check in with them.

Are we still allowed to do kit sales in the HHV provided they are sold at cost, etc.?
          Last year I had to buy a vendor spot and as far as I know there are no vendor tables in the HHV this year.

Send Smitty a PM he will be selling darknet kits as well as the vendor goon to see if anyone has bought a vendor table for HHV. No one has asked me about allowing one in there yet and I would hope they would.

I'm not running a vendor table this year as its a major endeavor that I don't want to take on this year so talk to the darknet folks and see if they can hook you up.
          Last edited by bombnav; June 12, 2014, 22:51.

Comment

Not to further hijack this thread. But your PM inbox is full. I emailed Chris@defcon.org (I am assuming this is Roamer, defcon.org just lists chris@ as the contact email for vendor questions) about getting a table. If there is someone else I would be better off talking to, let me know.

Comment

Box empty now I will pm you.

Comment

Hello,

I'd love to give a demo on side-channel power analysis, along perhaps with some clock & power glitching stuff. This is based on my open-source ChipWhisperer project I've been presenting.

Earlier is better for me as will probably end up having to leave on the 10th, so depending when my flight is might miss most/all of that day...

Thanks,

-Colin

Comment

I can do a 30-60 minute hands-on about using a multimeter combined with some basic E=IR and t=RC stuff. I did this recently locally, so
                  I all ready have 20 x (DMM, 9v, LED, resistors, caps, NPN, 555, breadboard) that I can bring with me out to Vegas.
                  So up to to 20 individuals (or 40 if sharing).

Comment

I like both of the above ideas... instead of a big talk more of focused group learning experience. We can make both of these work. As we get closer I will start building a straw man schedule.

Comment

Count me in for colin's demo!

I have a sizeable collection of cheap consumer electronics with easily soldered UART and JTAG. If sales will be permitted, i'll bring a suitcase full of them to sell at cost for people to crack open.

Also, I have a workshop for this year. The description I put together for toorcamp is below. I learned my lesson last year, and got my hands on a stack of chromebooks (with cable locks) that now run all the essential hardware hacking tools and then some. No more asking people to boot sketchy usb drives. I'm happy to run it multiple times.

WTFpga:
                      You can probably whip up to print "Hello World" or program a microcontroller to flash an LED, but have you ever tried doing either by directly defining hardware logic?
                      This workshop is a series of exercises that will give you a basic understanding of what FPGAs are, how they work, and how to program them in Verilog. You will flash LEDs, display salutations, use switches and buttons as input, do some type conversion, and then implement a simple calculator.
                      All hardware and software is provided for use during the workshop, but bring an understanding of basic binary algebra (AND, OR, NOT).

Comment

Originally posted by joefitz View Post
                        Count me in for colin's demo!

I have a sizeable collection of cheap consumer electronics with easily soldered UART and JTAG. If sales will be permitted, i'll bring a suitcase full of them to sell at cost for people to crack open.

Also, I have a workshop for this year. The description I put together for toorcamp is below. I learned my lesson last year, and got my hands on a stack of chromebooks (with cable locks) that now run all the essential hardware hacking tools and then some. No more asking people to boot sketchy usb drives. I'm happy to run it multiple times.

WTFpga:
                        You can probably whip up to print "Hello World" or program a microcontroller to flash an LED, but have you ever tried doing either by directly defining hardware logic?
                        This workshop is a series of exercises that will give you a basic understanding of what FPGAs are, how they work, and how to program them in Verilog. You will flash LEDs, display salutations, use switches and buttons as input, do some type conversion, and then implement a simple calculator.
                        All hardware and software is provided for use during the workshop, but bring an understanding of basic binary algebra (AND, OR, NOT).
                        We do not allow direct sales in the HHV but there will be a group selling darknet badges that you might be able to make a deal with you will have to work that with them.

That is a great work shop so I will add you to the list for the straw man schedule in a few weeks and we will finalize it closer to DC 22.

Comment

i've been doing some lockpick making classes lately, I could be available intermittently during con for some demonstrations

Comment

Originally posted by machinist View Post
                            i've been doing some lockpick making classes lately, I could be available intermittently during con for some demonstrations
                            Not the direct focus of the HHV but after thinking about it sure why not. Once we get closer Im going to make up a schedule and we will talk then.

Comment

Its time to build the first version of the talk schedule. of course we have to share our space with tamper evident so I am only looking for Day of when you want to hold your talk.

So if you still in for a talk respond here. I will be sending out emails to make sure I hit everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X