Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterfeit Badge Contest

WHAT:
    It's a race against time and competitors to create the most precise counterfeit Defcon badge. Use your creativity, cunning, and attention to detail to produce your best forgery. The winner will achieve eternal glory through counterfeiting while helping others. The winning badge will be auctioned off for Hackers For Charity. Grading will be based on visual inspection at multiple distances, and a physical inspection will be made as well.

HOW:
    You will construct a duplicate badge from whatever materials you bring or can acquire. You will have all day to source your materials (think craft stores / copy shops / home improvement stores), construct your forgery, and turn it in to appropriate TEV staff. We will likely have some tools & materials on hand as well. All submissions become the property of the contest.

WHEN / WHERE:
    The contest will open up Friday morning in the Tamper Evident Village and rules will be announced. The badge to duplicate will be on display and available for inspection. Contestants will have till the end of Friday / close of TEV to deposit their submissions. Grading will begin Saturday morning and we expect the winner to be honored at closing ceremonies.
    Anyone who submits a real badge as their entry will be subject to public shaming for a lack of creativity; goons who transgress this rule may be subject to additional humiliations including involuntary emasculation by 303.

WHO:
    Submissions will be accepted by Arrakis or any other member of Mother Fucking Professionals group in the Tamper Evident Village. Arrakis will be the primary Point of Contact for this contest, expect him to be wandering the con, sleeping under the contest tables, or in various states of transcendence.
    Last edited by arrakis; June 11, 2014, 19:54.

Re: Counterfeit Badge Contest

Last edited by arrakis; June 11, 2014, 19:45.

Comment

This reminds me of the old days when DEF CON might run out of badges on Saturday and/or Sunday and they would give out easy-to-counterfeit very simple laminate badges, like at DEF CON 7 in 1999... *sigh* good times. I waited in line first thing so I got a metal badge and used a paint pen to write my handle on the back.

Comment

Not everyone uses the black background theme, that green is unreadable against white.
        Hacker DJ, AHA Hooligan, DEF CON Security Goon, SXSW Crew Chief, Squirrel Army

Comment

hey muave!

this looks fun! new contest? i don't recall it from cons past...

Comment

Originally posted by rev.rance View Post
            hey muave!

this looks fun! new contest? i don't recall it from cons past...
            This is a new contest for Defcon 22!

dg
            [mfp]

Comment

rad... i can handle some arts and crafts! ;) seriously, good idea for a contest though, i'm looking forward to participating in this one...

Comment

FOR THOSE WANTING TO COMPETE IN THIS CONTEST:

1. I strongly advise you to be present when the tamper evident village opens. Physical access to one of the badges for counterfeit will be available at that time, and later you will have to hunt it down!
                2. Message me if you are competing so I can get a headcount in case we need more materials than expected.

Comment

CONTEST RULES

Your challenge is to make the best duplicate of any of the 3 badges available for counterfeit.
                  Two of the badges are at the counterfeit badge contest booth in Hardware Hacking & Tamper Evident Village. The third badge is the Defcon 22 Uber badge.

Badges will be graded at 10 foot, 3 foot, and 1 foot distances; and there will be a hands-on inspection as well. Extra points will be allocated for creativity as well as difficulty of the badge.

Materials and tools to assist are available in the Tamper Evidence / Hardware Hacking village.
                  Submissions are due by Saturday, and will be accepted for contest entry by Tamper Evidence Village table staff or Arrakis. Please include a name and contact information in written form with your submission so we can notify the winner! Entries incorporating official DefCon badges may be replaced at the discression of Arrakis.
                  All entries become the property of the badge contest.
                  Last edited by arrakis; August 8, 2014, 17:37.

Comment

Correction: Dark Tangent's Defcon 22 badge is a regular uber. Looking for an Uber badge? GO TO badge hacking area in HHV/TEV, and ask for Johnny M. OR Go find Dark Tangent or L0stboy. Are you also any good at social engineering? Then find a red shirted goon with radio, and tell them to radio and ask for eyes on DT or Lost. Enjoy!

Comment

PICTURES OF DEFCON 22 2014 BLACK UBER BADGE ARE HERE

For those interested in upgrading their human badges to uber badges, this can be done in HHV. The necessary parts and artwork tools are there :)

Comment

Working...
                      X