Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q&A for Hacker War Games

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Q&A for Hacker War Games

    Please use this tread to ask your questions. This is NOT a discussion for this contest! If you want to talk about something, have a suggestion, or comment, please start a new thread.

    Thanks,
    TheSiscoCoon

  • #2
    Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

    How will the course be scored / prize badge be handed out? Specifically if there are different classes like rifle/handgun, are the scores weighted to merge into a single rankings list?

    Will scoring be done like last year? Ranked by number of targets hit first, then tie break based on time it took to run the course?

    Is there a minimum caliber to be considered the "handgun" class? You mention there is an unofficial 22lr class so if i bring my 22lr handgun I wouldn't be placed in the "handgun" class right?

    (working off the last question) those people that rent your 22lr wouldn't be considered in the "handgun" class right?

    will you be sharing what the targets will look like? scored just hit or miss, or different zones per target?

    Do you know if you'll have 15-30 seconds with deviant at the closing to show everyone what you did? Last year during the closing when the collage of pictures was rolling I heard a few "when was that!" when pictures of guns showed up. Last year I ran my gopro on my gun which was mildly interesting to watch, you could use similar footage from this year.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

      All good questions seeess.

      Scoring will be pretty much the same as last year with one exception. Last year your bullet had to hit the target with at least 50% of it's diameter. This year if you just nick the target it counts. It will be a hit or miss scoring like last year, a hit is 1 point a miss is 0 points. The targets will look the same as last year, so they will be 8 inch round white targets set at different heights and distances from each shooters box just like last year. The only change in that part of the course is I may have up to 5 more targets added which would be a total of 15 targets and 30 rounds fired at the targets (2 rounds each target). And for your full auto I may add 1 or 2 more targets for you to try to take down in full auto, but those will not be scored.

      There is no restriction on the type of gun you use or caliber. Small caliber guns that have no kick and are so easy to shoot like the 22LR will be grouped into that class. It's not fair for some guy shooting a 45Auto that takes a long time to get back on target compared to a 22LR is as an example. The other reason is your not likely going to go into a fire fight with a 22LR if you have a 9mm. Ideally I would love to have a class for each caliber but there is simply just not enough people that run the course to do that so I have to group people up.

      The Sniper Shot (Part 2) is scored and timed separate from the 1st part of the course when you use your gun. So no matter which gun or class your grouped in, EVERYONE will be doing the exact same thing for Part 2.

      Here is an example of what the scoring will look like:

      Rifle Class:

      #1 - "Seeess" (M16 Full Auto with a M4-2000 Silencer Cal. 223)
      Course 1
      Score: 18
      Finish Time: 1min 38sec

      Course 2 - Sniper Shot
      Score: Hit
      Finish Time: 2min 14sec

      Hand Gun Class:

      #1 - "TheSiscoCoon" (Rock Island Armory 1911 Cal. 45ACP)
      Course 1
      Score: 14
      Finish Time: 2min 3sec

      Course 2 - Sniper Shot
      Score: Miss
      Finish Time: 3min 9sec

      I'll then take everyones "Course 2" and see who actually hit the target and then find out who did it the fastest. That will be the winner of the FREE DC22 Badge. I have to do it this way because I only have 1 badge to give away.

      If you brought your 22LR you would be grouped with all the other 22LR and easy to shoot guns like that. Last year the only people that shot that caliber where those that could not bring a gun with them or didn't own one. That class is so that EVERYONE will get a chance to shoot. But if you don't own a gun or couldn't bring one I'm offering up for the cost of the ammo to shoot my 45ACP so you can be grouped into the Hand Gun class.

      The targets are as I mentioned before the same as last year. 8 inch round white paper targets at different heights and distances. The Sniper Shot WILL be a steel target that will also have a reaction to it as well as the sound of steel ringing. But I'm not going to say how far the target will be or it's size.

      As for the end of the week I have no idea, I've passed that question off to Deviant and maybe he will know. But if I get the time I'll do it. I was also thinking about doing a little bit of video recording with maybe some slow-mo of like the sniper shot and the main course if the contestant doesn't mind the recording of course.

      I hope that answered all your questions.
      TheSiscoCoon

      NOTE: EVERYONE NO MATTER WHAT CLASS THEY ARE GROUPED IN, EVERYONE WILL HAVE TO DO THE SNIPER SHOT. SO EVERYONE WILL HAVE THE CHANCE TO WIN THE FREE BADGE!!!

      Originally posted by seeess View Post
      How will the course be scored / prize badge be handed out? Specifically if there are different classes like rifle/handgun, are the scores weighted to merge into a single rankings list?

      Will scoring be done like last year? Ranked by number of targets hit first, then tie break based on time it took to run the course?

      Is there a minimum caliber to be considered the "handgun" class? You mention there is an unofficial 22lr class so if i bring my 22lr handgun I wouldn't be placed in the "handgun" class right?

      (working off the last question) those people that rent your 22lr wouldn't be considered in the "handgun" class right?

      will you be sharing what the targets will look like? scored just hit or miss, or different zones per target?

      Do you know if you'll have 15-30 seconds with deviant at the closing to show everyone what you did? Last year during the closing when the collage of pictures was rolling I heard a few "when was that!" when pictures of guns showed up. Last year I ran my gopro on my gun which was mildly interesting to watch, you could use similar footage from this year.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

        Thanks for the detailed answers. I have one other question on timing.

        Your main post says Thrs we can run the course 10-12, but I'll have a lane both sessions which is timed for 10-12:30.

        Last year I stopped by after the main shoot was over (probably around 12:30-1). Can you stay that late again this year? Or can you start it an hour early so I don't burn my lane time?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

          Originally posted by seeess View Post
          Thanks for the detailed answers. I have one other question on timing.

          Your main post says Thrs we can run the course 10-12, but I'll have a lane both sessions which is timed for 10-12:30.

          Last year I stopped by after the main shoot was over (probably around 12:30-1). Can you stay that late again this year? Or can you start it an hour early so I don't burn my lane time?
          Hello seeess,

          I'm glade you asked that question, actually I was hopping someone would bring it up soon.

          The thing is this, I HAD to give the guys at DefCon a time for my Contest that I could stick to 100%. The reason is when they publish my contest on the web-site and on paper it couldn't be changed.

          Last year I did stay later so you could run the course and I enjoyed the GoPro Cam too. However this year I WILL NOT be able to do that due to 2 factors. I never made it back to Las Vegas in time to get my badge(s) and had to wait til Friday, which for me isn't much of a problem. However since I WILL BE giving away 1 FREE DC22 badge I need to be able to make it to the hotel in time to pick up the badge and meet up with the winner to give it to Him or Her Thursday.

          I need to be able to notify the winner ASAP that they won so they know they don't have to wait in line for a badge. I know a lot of you guys line up at the door on Thursday long before they open up for the badges. This may mean your going to have to wait to get your badge because there is a chance you may get one for FREE.

          So this is what I'm going to do to help with that confusion. If you are the best so far in the contest I will tell you right then and there. Once someone that was #1 gets beaten and there is another #1 now I will try to text or email you right away that you are no longer #1 and will need to buy a badge.

          Now you should be getting a pretty good idea of why I'm not staying after 12PM on Thursday.

          All that been said, anyone may run the course as early as they like as long as I'm ready. I'm 99% sure that by 9am I'll be ready for anyone to run the course on BOTH days. And 75% sure I'll be ready before 9am. Wednesdays DC Shoot doesn't start until later in the afternoon so you have plenty of time to do it that day LONG before the DC Shoot. And if the same holds true for Thursday as it did last year, I was ready for Contestants HOURS before DC Shoot again. So come early on the day you have already paid for a lane.

          TheSiscoCoon

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

            Oh I would also like to add one thing about the Times the Contest is open for contestants.

            KEEP this in mind EVERYONE, you could win a FREE DC22 badge so even if you have to lose a little big of your lane time you could save yourself a couple hundred bucks if you win the badge.

            If you have a lane you paid for please let me know RIGHT AWAY and I'll bump you up to first in line if there is a line. The course should take about 10-15mins total. I'm not going to talk to everyone so much before they run the course again like last year. I'll go over the safety rules make sure there clear and then say GO!

            Again everyone is welcome to come as early as they like! If I'm ready (basically if I'm awake and have my cloths on) you can run the course. The set time was for DefCon really not me. But 12PM Thursday I WILL be packing up!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

              One more question on reloading. Does it have to be done in the box/shooting area? I think that was the rule last year but I cant remember.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                Originally posted by seeess View Post
                One more question on reloading. Does it have to be done in the box/shooting area? I think that was the rule last year but I cant remember.
                Yes it does, and yes it was. The reason behind it is that all actions be done in the box when your NOT running. I don't want people running with there gun out and trying to do a Mag change. With there hands all over the place and trying to focus on running around or jumping over bushes you can easily send a round off into the ground if your lucky.

                So yes, all handling of the gun MUST be done in the shooters box. You MAY however do the mag change at any of the shooters boxes. You can shoot all 29rds and do a mag change for the 30th round if you want I don't care. This year I will have 2 small white plastic buckets in two of the boxes that you can use to drop your mag in so you don't get it covered in sand if anyone wants to use.

                Each bucket will be placed in a shooters box at every 10rds fired. They are mainly there for my rented guns so I don't have to clean each mag out for the next shooter to use it. So if you want to use the buckets that is how they will be setup.

                Okay I'm shutting down the computer now and packing it up. I'll be leaving my house in a few mins to drive out in the desert. If ANYONE has any more questions or concerns they WILL HAVE to text (775-790-6166) me and hope I still get a signal out there. I WILL NOT be able to check the forum until Thursday evening when the contest is over with.

                See everyone out there,
                TheSiscoCoon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                  Originally posted by TheSiscoCoon View Post
                  You can shoot all 29rds and do a mag change for the 30th round if you want I don't care.
                  I should shoot the whole course with a 40 round mag, then after I'm done reload to an empty mag to complete the "one reload requirement" heh.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                    Originally posted by seeess View Post
                    I should shoot the whole course with a 40 round mag, then after I'm done reload to an empty mag to complete the "one reload requirement" heh.
                    You could do that. You will gain time for the mag change pretty much the same as you would during the course. There is just one key factor and it's why I make you do it during the shooting. It's a stress factor that if you where in a fire fight your going to have to do a mag change at some point under stress. So it's good practice for the Zombie Apocalypse. ;)

                    You will have to post your GoPro video link up on the forum when you get the change if you would like to share it that is. I'm interested in seeing how my lobster red face looks like on the video (It's kind of hard to avoid the sun when your out in the desert for 4 days with no shade).

                    TheSiscoCoon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                      Originally posted by TheSiscoCoon View Post
                      You will have to post your GoPro video link up on the forum when you get the change
                      I'm going through the footage of my gopro now, every video worked except the one I care about (me running your course). It wrote 600+mb of something, but vlc, and wmc, fail to decode it, and the gopro app crashes trying to import the file.

                      sha256sums match for that recorded data either read while the sd card is in the gopro or via a micro sd card adapter.

                      I'll have to look around if this is a known problem and if it has a solution, not too happy right now. But I don't think it would look too different from last year's video where I did the same thing.

                      Do you plan on posting the results when you get a chance? It would be interesting how the first part of the course was run by different participants and their equipment

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                        Originally posted by seeess View Post
                        I'm going through the footage of my gopro now, every video worked except the one I care about (me running your course). It wrote 600+mb of something, but vlc, and wmc, fail to decode it, and the gopro app crashes trying to import the file.

                        sha256sums match for that recorded data either read while the sd card is in the gopro or via a micro sd card adapter.

                        I'll have to look around if this is a known problem and if it has a solution, not too happy right now. But I don't think it would look too different from last year's video where I did the same thing.

                        Do you plan on posting the results when you get a chance? It would be interesting how the first part of the course was run by different participants and their equipment
                        That sucks!!!! Well I wanted to see it but mostly I wanted others to be able to see it that didn't come to the Contest but new about it so they could get an idea of what it was like so that maybe next year they will do the Contest. But that really does still suck!

                        I'll try to post the results up as soon as I can. I went back to my hotel after picking up the badge and giving it to the winner. I did a few things at the hotel and went to sleep at about 8pm and didn't wake up til 9:30am. I was exhausted from getting out in the desert for 4 days and 2 of those days running in the desert. My face and neck are all burnt to hell! I'll probably have them up on the forum sometime tonight. I have to go though the score cards and organize them to see who won each class. I pretty sure you won the rifle class again. So you will have to see me at DefCon for your crappy prize I need to give to you.

                        TheSiscoCoon

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                          I can probably find last years video, and I haven't given up on this years but I'm running out of options. I also directly uploaded it to youtube to see if they could decode it without luck.

                          When I was there we talked prize badges a little, but I forgot to ask about your badge. Did you get a contest badge for yourself? Because you should have, I had a lot of fun and it was clearly a pain to setup and run that course in the middle of no where for 2 days. I hope you do it again next year.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                            Originally posted by seeess View Post
                            When I was there we talked prize badges a little, but I forgot to ask about your badge. Did you get a contest badge for yourself? Because you should have, I had a lot of fun and it was clearly a pain to setup and run that course in the middle of no where for 2 days. I hope you do it again next year.
                            Well..... having done much begging and pleading with a few people I was able to get the 2 badges I thought I was going to get like I got last year. But since my Contest is "Unofficial" I'm not grouped the same as everyone. But thanks to a few people that went to bat for me, I did get badges but only normal human badges. I did not get the different color badge which is for contest holders. But I don't really care, it's a badge and it gets me in with out having to pay which helps off set my costs. It still cost me a lot but I'm fine with that everyone enjoys the contest which makes it worth it.

                            I'm hoping to be back next year but I'm not sure. If I do come back next year I'm going to have to have a helper for the whole two days.

                            I still have your prize to send to you. Where you at the closing contest awards in Track 2 at 3pm?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Q&A for Hacker War Games

                              Originally posted by TheSiscoCoon View Post
                              I still have your prize to send to you. Where you at the closing contest awards in Track 2 at 3pm?
                              Oh damn I forgot that I even won anything since I missed the target at the end I figured I was knocked out of everything.

                              I skipped the awards to see deviant's elevator talk.

                              I'm not sure if it makes sense to ship it, but if it does I could pay you for shipping maybe? Or if it is tiny enough, and permanent enough to hold for a year does that make sense?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X