Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEF CON info on the go: eBooks of Schedule/Recent News/FAQ/etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEF CON info on the go: eBooks of Schedule/Recent News/FAQ/etc.

Some years ago when I started planning for DEF CON I realized that I'd much prefer to have the program and other info in an eBook for my new Kindle then leafing back and forth in the paper program of Talks trying to figure out which talk to go to next. The Kindle indexes everything so it can be searched, I can bookmark items of interest, do annotations, etc..

SO . . .

In response to this perceived need, for the Fourth year in a row, I've started scraping the Schedule, Recent News, FAQ, etc. from the DEF CON 22 site and have created eBooks in the two most popular file formats. New for this year I've added in the entities with their own talk tracks such as the Village, Sky Talks,Wall Of Sheep, etc. Single Source Planning

As the pages on the DEF CON web get updated I'll update the books so you have the latest info at least till just before con starts, after that I'll be busy.

These eBooks are available here eBooks DEF CON 22

This is a work in progress. I'll be making improvements between now and the start of con.
    If an event is missing, or has wrong info, please let me know day/time/room/what so I can add/fix it!
    In particular I'm waiting for more info to be posted about the entertainment, and a map of the hotel.

Feel free to let me know what you think.
    now to start on an ICAL version of this. . .

Please copy this thread to the "Defcon 22 and beyond" forum when it is created.
    Please consider placing some reference to these files on the main con site.
    Please consider mentioning in some of the various twitter feeds out there.

ADVthaAnksNCE
    Last edited by qumqats; July 29, 2014, 03:23.

Re: DEF CON info on the go: eBooks of Schedule/Recent News/FAQ/etc.

I just checked these with Apple's iBooks and they don't work, on either the Mac OS app or the iOS app. Every page gives the following:

“This page contains the following errors:

error on line 3 at column 14: Double hyphen within comment: <!--[endif]
    Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.”

followed by a blank page.

Is Nook epub != Mac epub? (yeah, yeah, I know, standards aren't.)
    It doesn't matter how pretty the code is if it causes the vehicle to dive into the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by dhb/kd5 View Post
      I just checked these with Apple's iBooks and they don't work, on either the Mac OS app or the iOS app. Every page gives the following:

“This page contains the following errors:

error on line 3 at column 14: Double hyphen within comment: <!--[endif]
      Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.”

followed by a blank page.

Is Nook epub != Mac epub? (yeah, yeah, I know, standards aren't.)
      Thanks for the trouble report.

I have limited ability to test epubs, but I do see a problem opening them in Aldiko.

I think I've fixed the epub files for News and FAQ. Schedule is still not opening. I need to run the epub files through a epub validator and fix what it finds. It looks like you can't throw whatever html code from web pages you find out there through a converter and always expect it to work.

In the meanwhile will the html file work for you? I'd expect you to be able to download that and view it locally in your browser.

Comment

Originally posted by qumqats View Post
        Thanks for the trouble report.

I have limited ability to test epubs, but I do see a problem opening them in Aldiko.

I think I've fixed the epub files for News and FAQ. Schedule is still not opening. I need to run the epub files through a epub validator and fix what it finds. It looks like you can't throw whatever html code from web pages you find out there through a converter and always expect it to work.

In the meanwhile will the html file work for you? I'd expect you to be able to download that and view it locally in your browser.
        I poked around on them this morning and have a fix that works for iBooks.

On line 3 of all the *-split-*.html files, there are 4 dashes after the first [endif]. Delete 2 of them.

I now have all 3 files working A-OK on my iMac and my iPad mini.

Thanks for the work in putting these together.
        It doesn't matter how pretty the code is if it causes the vehicle to dive into the sun.

Comment

A problem with corrupted ebooks has been solved.

Many events added to the schedule.

Please re-download to get the latest.

Schedule is available in html, epub, mobi.

Contains Defcon talks, parties, Skytalks, Wall of Sheep, Wireless Village, Crypto Privacy Village, ICS Village, music/entertainment and other events combined into one place. Browse the book or page to see what's happening when.

Please let me know if anything's missing or has errors and I'll correct it.

Enjoy!

(ical or calander file coming soon)

Comment

There's been a New Release of these.

More events added and corrections made.

For those who might prefer the ical/ics format this is now available. A public Google Calendar has been created and from that you can browse, add the events you like to your own calendar, or download the ics file.

This is a combined schedule of events happening at DEFCON 22: Talks, Skytalks, Wall of Sheep, Wireless Village, Crypto/Privacy VIllage, ICS Village, parties, music, etc.

Single source planning . . . Have a fun time

http://outel.org/defcon/

Comment

Getting "Forbidden" for all of these links, perms?

thx!

There's been a New Release of these.

More events added and corrections made.

For those who might prefer the ical/ics format this is now available. A public Google Calendar has been created and from that you can browse, add the events you like to your own calendar, or download the ics file.

This is a combined schedule of events happening at DEFCON 22: Talks, Skytalks, Wall of Sheep, Wireless Village, Crypto/Privacy VIllage, ICS Village, parties, music, etc.

Single source planning . . . Have a fun time

http://outel.org/defcon/

Comment

Originally posted by panadero View Post
                Getting "Forbidden" for all of these links, perms?

thx!
                I'm also getting 403'd (but only on the .epubs & .mobis).

(Howdy, panadero)

Comment

Of all the lame-brained idiot mistakes . . .

Please check back tonight. I'll post here when it's fixed.

Comment

Fixed! download to your hearts content

My apologies

Comment

In response to this perceived need, for the Fourth year in a row, I've started scraping the Schedule, Recent News, FAQ, etc. from the DEF CON 22 site and have created eBooks in the two most popular file formats.
                      Thanks! I did not discover this until this morning, but I will seek them out for DC23.

Comment

Working...
                      X