Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank-You, and Fuck-you from DEF CON 22...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank-You, and Fuck-you from DEF CON 22...

A recurring thread every year. People sometime behave badly. People sometimes do things that really make your DEF CON the best DEF CON yet!

Please, provide accolades to that that have earned it, and let everyone know what they did and why you liked it.

Also, to balance things, if someone did something that could have ruined your fun, please explain what happened and why their actions sucked.

Thanks to all the hard-working goons, and volunteers that actually work at DEF CON, like the people that run contests, events, parties, social gathering, and the goons that run each of the departments, and all the mods and admins on the web services we have here, including the forums. Thanks to Nulltone for starting these forums with the help of Simon (or SimonSez (spelling?)), and the Dark Tangent for starting DEF CON.

A big, "you suck," to me, for skipping this year, like every other year. Sorry! I have limited vacation time, and non-DEF_CON friends, so it is like having divorced parents, takings turn on the holidays to visit different grandparents.

Anyone else care to comment on their experience this year?

Re: Thanks-You, and Fuck-you from DEF CON 22...

A giant fuck you to whomever stole $60 from me. I now can't attend the last 2 days due to a combination of my shit planning and your douchiness. But always props to the goons. If I may contribute some, setting proper expectations in regards to transport would be helpful for future first time attendes. Relatives said stay down town, it will be cheap for cab fare. Catching the bus to the strip was $8 a day ( SE though after the first ticket and your golden is my experience) $10 from there and then ~$30 heading back to the golden nugget w/o tip

Comment

Re: Thank-You, and Fuck-you from DEF CON 22...

Props to somafm for relaxing my mind when my body couldn't walk another step and my fingers couldn't deauth another WAP. Rusty and crew are the bee's knees.

Comment

Originally posted by Elweed View Post
        A giant fuck you to whomever stole $60 from me. I now can't attend the last 2 days due to a combination of my shit planning and your douchiness. But always props to the goons. If I may contribute some, setting proper expectations in regards to transport would be helpful for future first time attendes. Relatives said stay down town, it will be cheap for cab fare. Catching the bus to the strip was $8 a day ( SE though after the first ticket and your golden is my experience) $10 from there and then ~$30 heading back to the golden nugget w/o tip
        We're staying in the gold coast and haven't taken a single cab. If you're on the strip, they have shuttles that run every 30mins at the rio, you're just doing it wrong.

Secondarily, fuck the guy that stole your shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Th1rstyf3Et View Post
          If you're on the strip, they have shuttles that run every 30mins
          a small note: some of those free vegas shuttles are dickbags about ANY kind of "luggage" and they include backpacks on that list. so people trying to get to/from con for free get hosed if they have their con bag with them for the day.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            a small note: some of those free vegas shuttles are dickbags about ANY kind of "luggage" and they include backpacks on that list. so people trying to get to/from con for free get hosed if they have their con bag with them for the day.
            Totally ran into this. The bus even had storage bins for suitcases and stuff. I guess they are just lazy bastards... :/

Comment

A Huge Shout out (and thank you) to the Scavenger Hunt team. This year's competition was fucking awesome. Having some of the list items obfuscated this year was a great twist.
              Scavenger Hunt Team: Too Old for Captain Crunch

Comment

Thank you to everyone who made my 5 yr old daughter (especially "her" goons - yes, she refers to you in the possessive. You've been adopted by a 5 yr old!) feel like a first class member of the community.

Lots of people may have lots of things to say about the hacker community, but every single person who she interacted with was awesome and a number of you came up to me and asked questions about bringing your own kids next year, or thanked me for bringing her, and commented how much you would have loved it if your parents brought you. This is her second year coming and she's already campaigning to be there next year. I suspect I'll be able to bargain that into many clean rooms in the next 52 weeks :).

No fuck yous this year, some constructive criticism for when I've recovered my sleep from the trip home, but thank yous should always come first anyways.

Tynius

Comment

Found a complaint in write-up about DNS Revenge (Pimp My Rascal)
                  It was a short part, near the end and not at all a primary purpose of the write-up.

URL=http://makerzot.wordpress.com/2014/0...darktangent-2/

Originally posted by URL
                  [chop]
                  P.S. Goon being a jerk/Value of Contest

At one point one of the red shirted Goons stopped us and starting going off on Feminion #2 about how he does not like the contest because he does not see how it raises awareness of people in wheelchairs like his friends who were injured in the military. First off, I was not aware the contest ever made a claim about raising awareness. Second off, I am sure his “friends” do not want their sacrifice remembered by him swearing at a young girl trapped in a box, effectively trying to take away her first amendment rights. This was not the first Goon this week to show horrible behavior to us. The Goon organization needs to train its staff that they represent Goons at all times and DEF CON as well.
                  [chop]

Comment

Thank-you to the nice Goons we had around in our floor. Also to the guys who offered their room when we got locked out from ours (dead battery on the door lock). Had a much better experience now that we stayed at the Rio. :)
                    "Programming in Visual Basic is like making a building out of LEGOs. Use C, the king of programming languages!"

0x029A
                    The number of the Beast!

Comment

Just like a lot of the first-timers, I spent way too much time being ... awestruck for lack of better words.

This is the shortest summary I can make: Thou art my tribe.

And no, not all Swedes sound like the proverbial chef ; the genuine accent is hard(er) to place, apparently .

Comment

This is probably going to be controversial but I gotta say it. For the first time in 7 years, I did not enjoy watching Hacker Jeopardy.

I have been a contestant multiple years as well and the chance to get on stage is always something I look forward to. After this year, I assure you that is not a stage I EVER want to be on.

Hacker Jeopardy, from my lone perspective, was about trying to show some knowledge, drink some beers and have some laughs. The goal this year seemed to be absolutely humiliating the contestants while a game accidentally played in the background (which luckily didn't require much effort thanks to Mario Party like "everyone wins" randomization).

If that's your thing then great. Personally, I will be moving on to find other activities in that time slot.

Comment

There were lots of events that were awesome as usual, and if they had to fit into the TY/FY category, well here is my take:

THANK YOU!
                          Security goons who kept everyone safe and happy.
                          Staff for all the pre-work that goes into this event.
                          John McAfee for giving us a lot to think about. (Vote YES on Sep 18th!)
                          Hotel security for not acting like the guards at the AP.
                          Chill out room had expensive food but it was actually quite ample for the price.
                          Everyone who really got INTO it. This is YOUR Defcon, it is only what you add that makes it what it is.
                          Ali Spagnola. Pure awesomeness.
                          VEGAS 2.0 for starting off Defcon with the hard hitting excitement that never let up!
                          Dr. Scholls for my shoe inserts to let me walk as much as I did.

F*CK YOU!
                          People who go to the Defcon shoot and do not pay for the ammo they use.
                          Whoever did not order enough badges.
                          Hacker Jeopardy. In an effort to please everybody you have pleased nobody.
                          Last edited by astcell; September 1, 2014, 18:21.

Comment

I just want to say fuck-you to everyone who didn't say hi to me. Except SkyDog; that was all my fault brother, hope to see you soon.

Shout outs:

303. 'nough said.

To the Mohawkcon grrl who let me jump to the front of the line. Helps when you do nice things for them.

RenderMan. He's notorious. And Canadian. And the Pope. Doritos and vodka will now forever be a part of my heart.

Peace out.

p.s. The last time I drank that much vodka, I was hanging out in the Gaslamp district in San Diego with a Mexican lesbian. Those were the days...
                            Last edited by FirmWarez; September 2, 2014, 16:27.
                            TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
                            X