Rowdy HJ or this new PG13 crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rowdy HJ or this new PG13 crap?

Last year's HJ was kinda... off. Why are we making HJ more "family-friendly"? This is taking the fun out of it! Is this trend continuing this year as well, or is it going to go back to normal?
    There has been an interesting discussion regarding this on Facebook. It sounds like people complained to management that it was sexist and not "family-oriented"

Here was my take on the whole thing
    HJ has always been rowdy. That's kinda the point. It's not for kids nor people who get easily offended. Are we gonna make hackers against humanity PG13 next year too? Maybe we should make sure that scavenger hunt doesn't have anything that can be mildly offensive too.
    I'm not attacking the people that are calling it sexist, but clearly if you aren't comfortable with the way the game is done, don't fucking go. Don't ask people to change a formula that has worked for years and that pretty much everyone enjoys.
    Look at it this way. If you're offended by sexual jokes, racist jokes, etc, you probably shouldn't take part in playing or watching people play cards against humanity. You know what you're getting into when you show up. If you're gonna bitch about how it's played, then GTFO. The game is what it is. You know what it is when you show up. If you don't like it, then don't go. But don't sit there and complain.
    I'm not necessarily looking to ruffle feathers here, but can someone else weight in on this.

Re: Rowdy HJ or this new PG13 crap?

Originally posted by Sonicos View Post
    Last year's HJ was kinda... off. Why are we making HJ more "family-friendly"? This is taking the fun out of it! Is this trend continuing this year as well, or is it going to go back to normal?
    There has been an interesting discussion regarding this on Facebook. It sounds like people complained to management that it was sexist and not "family-oriented"

Here was my take on the whole thing

I'm not necessarily looking to ruffle feathers here, but can someone else weight in on this.
    We have a generic, non-Hacker-Jeopardy thread on "How to Make DEF CON 23 better than DEF CON 22" and at least one other person voiced a similar concern:
    https://forum.defcon.org/showthread....l=1#post131847

Other people have complained about this on twitter, too.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Bump because I don't read the forums that much, but I wanted to chime in because someone called a goon over because I was heckling the people onstage during the HJ quals. Dafuq?

Comment

Originally posted by cereal76 View Post
        Bump because I don't read the forums that much, but I wanted to chime in because someone called a goon over because I was heckling the people onstage during the HJ quals. Dafuq?
        This bump is not helpful. Please refer to the link provided by TheCotman above where you can try to provide helpful criticism instead.
        "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
          This bump is not helpful. Please refer to the link provided by TheCotman above where you can try to provide helpful criticism instead.
          What implied that I was trying to be helpful?

Comment

Originally posted by cereal76 View Post
            What implied that I was trying to be helpful?
            Possibly the "chime in" part or the "dafuq?" part that sort of implied a request for response. Do you English?
            "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Working...
            X