DefCon a sell-out? I dont think so.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefCon a sell-out? I dont think so.

I’m watching the TechTv, and on Cyber Crime the show they are wondering around DefCon 10 talking to all the hacker types. A nice enough guy got well more than 15 minutes of fame with help of an extended interview about his thoughts on DefCon over the years. He was of the opinion that the conference has become commercialized due to the increase of merchandising and a overall rise in interests involving hacker culture.
    He made some good points, and I’m not attacking him in any way, but just because a few cable stations run a couple of specials on hackers this does not mean hacking is a franchise. (According to me)
    There is a definite increase in hacker interests. The security section at most book stores has easily doubled in the past two years.
    Now, here is my point & question. Ask anyone, even the tech savvy, what is DefCon, and see how many people will know what you are talking about. Personally I have found very few.
    So looking outside of our box, do you think it is possible for hacking (including Defcon) to sell-out?
    Last edited by Rhombus; December 23, 2002, 13:18.

Re: DefCon a sell-out? I dont think so.

It must be realized that hacking will always exist, whether or not there is a defcon... defcon is a place where people of like minds can hang out and show each other new and neat stuff once a year... hacking is forever!

Comment

sweet, I try not to leave the apartment so I wanted to make sure everyone had not gone crazy.
      Last edited by Rhombus; December 23, 2002, 13:19.

Comment

Ya know...this sell out not a sell out issue frustrates me every time I see it. I like DefCon. I have more fun there in 3 days than I do the entire rest of the year. It is the one time a year when almost all of my friends are in one building at one time. If people don't like it, don't come. If it is "too commercial" for you, don't buy anything. If you think the speakers suck, write a paper and give a talk.

I have said it before and I will say it again, DefCon is only as good as those who attend. If they think it is is a sell out...stay home, no one gives a flying fuck if the whiners are there anyway.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I agree with Chris. I have so much fun at Defcon that I plan the rest of my year around getting that time off to be there. I have asked a good number of tech savvy folks if they know about Defcon, they all do but cannot go because it is too much time away from family/job/home. Those of us who do attend have a different set of priorities, and it shows. We are envied, and my Defcon shirts are worshipped when people find out I purchased them at Defcon and not on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
            I agree with Chris. I have so much fun at Defcon that I plan the rest of my year around getting that time off to be there. I have asked a good number of tech savvy folks if they know about Defcon, they all do but cannot go because it is too much time away from family/job/home. Those of us who do attend have a different set of priorities, and it shows. We are envied, and my Defcon shirts are worshipped when people find out I purchased them at Defcon and not on Ebay.
            Hmmm....ebay...wonder what a staff shirt would go for on there? Seeing as how I have been offered oral sex for them in the past you would figure I cold get something decent. Too bad I would rather slam my dick in a car door than allow someone who is willing to degrade themselves my sucking me off for a staff shirt to wear one. Freakin' standards...they screw me over every time.

Comment

I take it this was a female making the offer for the shirt? Or should I shut up?

Comment

I take it this was a female making the offer for the shirt? Or should I shut up?
                Remember that rule about not asking questions you don't want to know the answer to?
                the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

defcon geeks walking in front of a brothel...

geeks: what do I get for this defcon shirt?

whore: n-e-ting u want...

geeks: anything?

whore: n-e-ting.

geeks: do you have WiFi?

whore: me so wi-less

<fade to black>

Comment

I had a shirt from DC8 that a guy offered me $100 for in the AP bar, maybe I should have taken it, but you never know what the hot iyem will be.

The AP staff had some cool shirts too for the event, it's pretty nice when everyone gets in to it. Maybe we'll see some of those DOC panties in the clubs next year.

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
                      Remember that rule about not asking questions you don't want to know the answer to?
                      Do you want me to answer that? :D

Comment

Heh...yeah, it was a chick.

Comment

Dang I better bring some good swag this year!

Comment

Working...
                          X