AP security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP security

As far as 802.11b security is concerned, a major part has been left out, the security of the AP itself. From my studies anyone with the AP manager software for the given AP can change and edit settings, due to the fact most APs are useing defult passwords such as "public." It was kind of an intresting thing to play with.
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Originally posted by TwinVega
    That does sound interesting, it's like locking your door but the dogdoor swings free....or something to that ring.
    Yeah, the whole 802.11b system is weak, but if it was strong there would be no phun in stumbling wifi networks.... ;)
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      So we're picking on a weak system? Does that make us the class bully?
      No, it just means that wireless security will continue to get better and fewer and fewer people will be able to hack wireless. When that happens, that's when you'll see some REALLY great hacking info come out. Not right now, while the entire system leaks profusively.

Comment

Originally posted by ck3k
        Yeah, the whole 802.11b system is weak, but if it was strong there would be no phun in stumbling wifi networks.... ;)
        I disagree on two counts here. First, your second point. Why would stumbling not be fun? I WarDrive all the time and PREFER when WEP is enabled. I know that the message I (and a lot of others) have been preaching is starting to get out and get through.

As for the first point, this is, in my opinion hype. WEP has taken such a bad rap and I will agree that it is not perfect, but realistically, the problem is a user education issue. People don't enable WEP. It doesn't matter if it is flawed or not if it is disabled. WPA isn't going to fix this. You can have the strongest encyption out there and if it isn't being used it is weak. That doesn't mean the system is weak, it means the users are.

I have beaten this dead horse 5 feet into the ground so I won't continue on in this vein, but realistically, for a home user WEP is sufficient. For a commercial of government network, there are secure solutions availble if wireless is a must. If wireless is a convenince, don't allow any potentially sensitive data on your wiereless network. It really isn't rocket science.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Working...
        X