I really want to know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really want to know...

I really want to know, who goes to the SANS and BlackHat conferences? Do ISPs and other businesses really pay thousands of dollars to send employees to these training seminars and conferences? How many people usually attend?
    I want to know because I would like to attend some of these conferences without having to be constantly looking over my shoulder because I’m walking around with bogus credentials.

I have only been to one SANS (Intrusion Detection Hands On) but I go to Black Hat Vegas every year. My company does indeed pay. There are usually around 2000 people at BH Vegas.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Very cool. I suppose I don't belong at this stage in my learning. If I were a professional someone would be paying my way. I’ll have to stick to the local 2600 and other affordable summits and meetings. I think its great that companies do pay, and there is such the turn out.

Comment

On the other hand, I do know of at least one person who paid their own way into Black Hat. If you have that sort of cash to spend, more power to you. It's great training.
        the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
          On the other hand, I do know of at least one person who paid their own way into Black Hat. If you have that sort of cash to spend, more power to you. It's great training.
          I was wanting to go until I learned how much it would cost.......but maybe if I get a good job, I might be able to go.
          ~:CK:~
          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

I know some folks who went to BH2001, they told me they would never go with their own money, it is not worth it in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
              I know some folks who went to BH2001, they told me they would never go with their own money, it is not worth it in the least.
              Hum this is a perspective...
              Maybe it was't worth it for them to go... Personally I like BH, and i don't like to miss it... I first been sent by my compagny at BH 2001 and I had paid my way to BH 2002 cause there was some conference i was't wanting to miss...
              Some ppl get disapointed of BH but I beleive it depend of your interest and to the speech you go...
              /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Originally posted by Rhombus
                Very cool. I suppose I don't belong at this stage in my learning. If I were a professional someone would be paying my way. I’ll have to stick to the local 2600 and other affordable summits and meetings. I think its great that companies do pay, and there is such the turn out.
                Don't let this stop you. We have lots of people who pay their own way. You don't have to be an expert. BlackHat has the experts there to speak so that attendees can learn. You can't very well learn anything if everyone there speaks totally above your head. Plus, there are multiple tracks, so you can more or less decide what you want/can learn while you're there.

-Russ

Comment

I have heard mixed reviews, but it is about time I see for myself.

I plan on going this year, and paying my own way (long story here). It will sure make it a lot easier to spot the fed ;)

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                    I have heard mixed reviews, but it is about time I see for myself.

I plan on going this year, and paying my own way (long story here). It will sure make it a lot easier to spot the fed ;)
                    Blackhat rocks. Great place to network with other folks and make good connections for career growth as well.

Comment

I would love to go to BlackHat, but the cost really is a factor. When you're going just to benefit yourself, the price tag sucks. If your company is paying you don't care. BlackHat should come up with some kind of Student Discount, try to take some of the edge off for the non-corporates.
                      .: Grifter :.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifter
                        I would love to go to BlackHat, but the cost really is a factor. When you're going just to benefit yourself, the price tag sucks. If your company is paying you don't care. BlackHat should come up with some kind of Student Discount, try to take some of the edge off for the non-corporates.
                        I'm all for that. Almost all the professional conferences I've been interested have had an extremely modest student rate (< $100 compared to > $1000). The ones that are put on by an organisation (ISSA, IEEE, etc), usually further discount that rate for student members.
                        the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

... BlackHat should come up with some kind of Student Discount, try to take some of the edge off for the non-corporates.
                          Well said, I would really appreciate a discount so I don't have to rob a bank just to further my own knowledge.....
                          Where's the dedication?

Comment

We ought to see if The Moss Man would be willing to cut discounts for goons going to BlackHat.... sort of a "perk".

Comment

Originally posted by russ
                              We ought to see if The Moss Man would be willing to cut discounts for goons going to BlackHat.... sort of a "perk".
                              That would be sweet. I've wanted to go for a long time but haven't been able to throw down the cash bucks.

I nominate you to ask him, hehe.
                              .: Grifter :.

Comment

Working...
                              X