No announcement yet.

Favorite software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is really great! I'm a newbie and just got Linux running on my laptop. It is really interesting to read what you guys like and why. I've heard of most of them. I've downloaded Ethereal for WinXP but have yet to learn how to use it. Too busy playing with linux:D

Mr Newbie will go back to lurking now.
    apprentice

Comment

Originally posted by t3mpt3r
      nmap gives no information in comparision to languard.
      Could you expand on that more? I am curious because I haven't had the opportunity to play with LanGuard yet, but hear good things about it. What specfic things does it report compared to nmap that cause you to like it more?
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

nmap and LANguard are two completely different tools. LANguard should be compared more to Nessus, Saint, Satan, or Sara.

--Medic

Comment

languard is nmap on steriods. i love linux, and use slack for everything i can, but at work sometimes i just don't have a choice.

languard does the port scanning (range or single ip) just like nmap, but it goes beyond that, it shows domains, users, groups, hotfixes, service packs, known vulnerabilities, open shares, snmp, etc..

if noone can find it for free, and want to play with it, when i get off, i'll throw it on my site. let me know.

-t

Comment

Originally posted by t3mpt3r
            if noone can find it for free, and want to play with it, when i get off, i'll throw it on my site. let me know.
            Please do not offer pirated software to these forums...

Feel free to check out the trialware here:

GFI LANguard Network Security Scanner 3.0
            GFI LANguard Network Security Scanner 3.1 (beta)

http://www.gfi.com/downloads/downloa...=8&vid=1&lid=1

Comment

technically, the version i have is not a 'for-sale' version. it is their free version, which is a .02 versions older or something like that.

it wouldn't be pirated. it was free from them.

-t

Comment

I checked out Languard, and I agree with Medic... you're comparing Languard to the wrong tool. Nmap is just a simple port sniffer. That's all it's designed to be.

On the other hand, what does Languard do that Nessus doesn't?
                the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
                  I checked out Languard, and I agree with Medic... you're comparing Languard to the wrong tool. Nmap is just a simple port sniffer. That's all it's designed to be.

On the other hand, what does Languard do that Nessus doesn't?
                  As a side note, did you know that the author of Nessus now works with Ron Gula (author of Dragon IDS) at a new company called Tenable Networks?

Just thought I'd throw that out there. They have a new vulnerability assessment tool that they've just starting marketing. There's also a whitepaper from Ron about their ideas in our last Security Journal. http://www.securityhorizon.com/journal/winter2003.pdf

Comment

Working...
                  X