Meeting Forum Members IRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting Forum Members IRL

I read this in the caravan forum and thought I would share an experience that I thought was funny as hell during DCX, for those whom are new to meeting DC ppl :)

Originally posted by ck3k
    It will be interesting to meet everyone in reallife, even though I consider the internet my "reallife".......:D
    During the SoCal Caravan major meet up junction at the In and Out (we basically wait for the other caravans to meet up and then go to vegas from there)... During the caravan startup at Ontario no one really mingled, and everyone just stayed by their cars got the frs freq handout and the caravan sticker... Boogah tested the radio making sure it was all good for the ride... no real chance to say hi and chat or whatever... the next point where everyone got out and actually mingled was at in and out. I met up with a few people I knew and we chatted and ran into a few more in line for food, and it was a good experience... then went outside for a breath of air and a smoke <cloves>, there I met KeLviN and petr0l (you always see them in pairs), and that was interesting in itself... then someone else came out(hratch) and lit a cig, we were chatting, and then out of the blue he asked who everyone's nick was, we all took turns and i said I was me, and he said BLACKWAVE?!.. and I jumped back about 10 feet because I saw his hand move towards me ... I thought he was going to punch at me... but he was really intending to shake my hand.. LOL!.. so we all laughed he then said he was hratch (which we had chatted before online)... and that is pretty much how meeting people you have not really seen and met before but have developed some type of relationship online with ... it could be weird especially if you know you aren't making as many friends and enemies... but who has enemies at defcon?!!?! :D :)

My advice to you, do not make sudden moves, don't reach into anywhere before telling someone something... and all should be well :)

Re: Meeting Forum Members IRL

Originally posted by blackwave
    it could be weird especially if you know you aren't making as many friends and enemies...
    I think you just described me. :D

My advice to you, do not make sudden moves, don't reach into anywhere before telling someone something... and all should be well :)
    Good words of advice for people.

Comment

It's always a cool feeling when you can put a voice and name to the nick, usually I hav a preconcieved notion as to what they are going to look like, and 99% of the time I am wrong, you just can't guess by a personality.
      Where's the dedication?

Comment

I will be the short geeky guy with glass, I might have to do something to stand out a bit more. I am also very paranoid when people make sudden movements, cause I never know what other people are going to do......:D
        ~:CK:~
        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

I know from experience not knowing anyone at a super large conference can be a little intimidating... and sometimes boring, not knowing when things are happening, or even to find a place to just sit down. The great thing about defcon is that most people are friendly and helpful when it comes to such things... of course everyone is on guard (who wouldn't be?)... but it is a good feeling. Sure you may see your impenetrable cliques running around, but that is just life :)

I am glad that a lot of people at www.irvineunderground.org go to defcon, we have local meets for those who want to come down and just chat and hang out... it enhances the defcon experience :)

Comment

I have said it before and I will say it again...one of the things I love most about DefCon is that it is the one time a year when pretty much every one of my friends is in one building at the same time. That list tends to grow each year (despite my best efforts to alienate myself);)
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

everyone hates me....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                I have said it before and I will say it again...one of the things I love most about DefCon is that it is the one time a year when pretty much every one of my friends is in one building at the same time.
                I hope for your sake we don't all take the same plane home. (I did say we, or should I have said they? :p )

Comment

Originally posted by nous01
                  everyone hates me....

But they hate me more!:D
                  Last edited by highwizard; January 12, 2003, 22:44.

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself....some people like you....I think...hehe:D
                    Last edited by TwinVega; January 13, 2003, 00:15.
                    Where's the dedication?

Comment

I thought it was funny the we finally meet up on the last day of the con Blackwave.
                      There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by L0nd0
                        I thought it was funny the we finally meet up on the last day of the con Blackwave.
                        yeah that was something else... some of us were looking pretty used up by the end of the day ready to go back into hibernation.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                          I have said it before and I will say it again...one of the things I love most about DefCon is that it is the one time a year when pretty much every one of my friends is in one building at the same time. That list tends to grow each year (despite my best efforts to alienate myself);)
                          Yeah, you're a total introvert. hahah

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                            yeah that was something else... some of us were looking pretty used up by the end of the day ready to go back into hibernation.
                            comon the heat isn't that bad. :)
                            There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by L0nd0
                              comon the heat isn't that bad. :)
                              haha, i am used to being in 60 degree regulated air conditioning... everytime I go to dc i lose a few pounds from:
                              1. not getting hungry due to the heat
                              2. sweating off at least 5 lbs
                              3. melting when crossing the street or going to the liquor store.
                              4. finding out the airconditioned cabs, aren't.

... it is worth it though :)

Comment

Working...
                              X