linux gui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux gui

For those that use gui, what is your favorite desktop?

Last night I decided to load up Dropline Gnome and it is pretty damned slick.
    http://www.dropline.net/gnome/screenshots.html
    Dropline GNOME is a version of the GNOME Desktop that has been tweaked for Slackware Linux systems. It is available in Slackware's standard .tgz package format, in addition to the usual source code. The current release is based off of the latest GNOME 2 distribution from the GNOME Project.
    Has anyone heard anything about about this flavor of desktop, other than good? I checked out their forum and it pretty sparse, but full of everyone falling over themselves in expressing their joy for dropline.
    Their installer is super simple (though you can opt to do it manually)... When I installed it this morning their servers were down for maintenance (~1-2am)... so I had just let their net installer run and try to connect. I passed around the 7th attempt, and woke up not knowing if it had installed or not (it was at the main menu)... I was in a rush to get to work and tried to open a terminal window and Gnome had generated an error (I was worried that perhaps something had gone wrong)... so I shutdown and went to work. At work I booted the machine and started the desktop and it was dropline gnome... it had installed successfully!... I have played with it for about an hour and it is pretty pimpy... I would love to hear if anyone has found another desktop to beat this one :)

That gui looks pretty damn cool to me, I just recently started using slack and use kde. I think I'm going to download dropline gnome, I looked at all the screen shots and noticed it looked like a window with transperancy.....it is either really transperant, or they are trying to fool me. I think it's the second.
    Where's the dedication?

Comment

Originally posted by TwinVega
      I looked at all the screen shots and noticed it looked like a window with transperancy.....it is either really transperant, or they are trying to fool me. I think it's the second.
      It is a mixture of both... the term window will constantly update the desktop background so there is the illusion of transparency... but in reality if you were to put an application under the term you would still only get the updated desktop as if the app in the background did not exist... and depending on how fast your machine is there may be an obvious lag in the term background updating :)... still very nice, I think they are planning to go with full transparency in the future.

Comment

Knome rules! (im a GUI guy) If only the person who made etheral and etherape made more...!
        Visit my crappy ol' messed up spelling counter-strike clan website with no IFrame! [link]http://SoW.Gametigerclans.com[/link]
        4NY 1 W4n4 $CRIM?

Comment

I've heard quite a few discussions of Dropline Gnome around #slackware, and so far, no one has complained yet. It definitely looks pretty slick, and everyone I've heard talking about it is rather impressed by it, especially the ease of installation.

Personally, I'm trying to scale back a bit... I was thinking about moving to Blackbox or IceWM.
          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
            Personally, I'm trying to scale back a bit... I was thinking about moving to Blackbox or IceWM.
            Any reason to do this?
            Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

Comment

I recently switched to fluxbox, although I couldn't tell you the difference between it and blackbox/hackedbox, or any othe blackbox derivative. I like if. I don't really use any of the crap that comes with either gnome or KDE, so why put up with it bringing some of my boxes to a crawl.

--simple3

Comment

X Window Manager of choice...

Windowmaker. Chock full o' NeXTStep-like goodness, and not a resource hog.

Comment

There is one primary reason for using gnome: GAMES.

Linux, in my opion sucks when your not connected the net! So, i use all the games! Lov'n 'em!

KTron, JezzBall, Statego!, backgamon,

yet, for some reason i have never been able to get TuxRacer to work! Damm!

Anyone have the debain dist? I love it, .... apt-get <name>

Call me a nOOb if ya want :D
                  Visit my crappy ol' messed up spelling counter-strike clan website with no IFrame! [link]http://SoW.Gametigerclans.com[/link]
                  4NY 1 W4n4 $CRIM?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                    Any reason to do this?
                    Are there any advantages/disadvantages?
                    The advantage would be performance. My little laptop really can't handle KDE and still keep up with everything else I'm asking it to do.

The disadvantage would be that they're not "pretty". They don't have the bubbly litle toolbar with the cutesy icons for everything you want. They're very minimalistic, just a step up from console. It gives enough of a WM for comfort, but not so much that your system is bogged down. Sure, they're customiseable, but in the end, they're going to be much more streamlined and barebones then the pretty "eye-candy" GUIs.
                    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

about linux games someone forgot to mention FROZEN BUBBLE....:D As for the thread, I use KDE mostly, GNOME is nice, but is to happy and cute......:p
                      ~:CK:~
                      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

GNOME is more happy and cute than KDE??

--simple3

Comment

Working...
                        X