ALSA drivers under SlackWare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSA drivers under SlackWare

Well, my new slack box is finally up and running, it all works but sound, I searched around and found that ALSA sound drivers support my card, yet they wont install, they work until I reboot the box. Just wondering if anyone had used them before, or has a substitue for running sound in SW8.X?
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Re: ALSA drivers under SlackWare

Originally posted by ck3k
    Well, my new slack box is finally up and running, it all works but sound, I searched around and found that ALSA sound drivers support my card, yet they wont install, they work until I reboot the box. Just wondering if anyone had used them before, or has a substitue for running sound in SW8.X?
    Yes I use them for my Toshiba Yamaha sound drivers, and it works nicely...

After you ./configure and make the driver, lib and utils, you need to modify your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules so that you are loading the module correctly : example: /sbin/modprobe modulename ... then reboot and viola... if no viola either you did not configure correctly, or you are using the wrong modulename... you can usually verify this by checking what you have with lspci :) ... also make sure you save your mixer settings configuration, otherwise you will find yourself resetting your mixer setting each time you boot... (which by default are usually muted or really loud)

here is a minihowto, in case you require more specific details:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Alsa-sound.html

you can check out other people's issues that may be similar to yours at LinuxQuestions in their slackware forum here:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...?s=&forumid=14

Comment

Re: Re: ALSA drivers under SlackWare

Originally posted by blackwave
      ... then reboot and viola...
      REBOOT?! *tsk tsk tsk*

Pull out a kitchen knife. Carve this into your arm:
      REBOOTING IS FOR HARDWARE CHANGES AND KERNEL MODS ONLY!

Once you've added the module to rc.modules, you need only modprobe it to bring it up. Then, not quite viola... you should still have the permissions problem on the audio devices to get sound under users. But... almost viola. ;-)

Still... nothing so drastic to go rebooting poor boxes all over the place!
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: ALSA drivers under SlackWare

Originally posted by octalpussy
        Once you've added the module to rc.modules, you need only modprobe it to bring it up.
        The reason I suggested he reboot was so that he could see that his changes stayed, he previously mentioned in his post that his sound worked, though did not stay after a reboot.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I have been playing with it all day, I think it is working for the moment. Slackwares main hang up with me is this sound problem, but I will make it work after awhile.....:D
          ~:CK:~
          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: ALSA drivers under SlackWare

Originally posted by blackwave
            The reason I suggested he reboot was so that he could see that his changes stayed, he previously mentioned in his post that his sound worked, though did not stay after a reboot.
            Ah... I missed that part. And that would make me think he isn't adding it to the rc.modules, and is skipping right ahead to the modprobe.
            the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Working...
            X