I have to say, so far I am impressed with this forum. The information and promptness of reply is wonderful. My first impression of the hacker community left me a little perplexed.

Since this is a blog I will set the scene:

I had found a few people in a bar here in town discussing hacking. I was interested in their conversation on "privacy in the workplace". I leaned over and offered to buy them a round if I could be included in the conversation. They quickly agreed. There were three individuals. One was obviously the alpha male, and the other two were eating up his conversation as if his words were pumpkin pie and it was Thanksgiving. One of them was furiously writing notes, and I heard him call himself "elite" several times. The other hackers at the table agreed quickly saying, "He forgot more about hacking than most hackers ever knew." Needless to say, I was immediately impressed.

However as the night went on, it seemed he knew less and less about what he was talking about. He seemed to be talking out of his posterior for most of the conversation. He talked quite a bit about metasploit, but never went into specifics about it. I disagreed with him on one point, and he brought up the fact that he had been hacking for years and I didn't know what I was talking about. I quickly re-canted my statement. Although I knew I was right, it wasn't worth losing an opportunity to network with these individuals.

The beers kept flowing, and eventually his ego took the best of him. He said "Ask me any question about technology." I politely declined. He asked again and implied that he would be insulted if I did not ask a question. I tried to think of an easy question that he could easily answer and then the conversation could move on.

I asked, "Which has a connectionless protocol UDP or TCP?" I figured even if he didn't know he would have a 50% shot at it.

He said, "What the hell kind of bullshit question is that? Ask me something about hacking." Confused, I tried another easy question.

I asked, "Is the presentation layer the sixth layer in the OSI model?"

He started to get angry. He told me to quit asking stupid questions, and to ask a question about "real" hacking. I tried to change the subject and order another beer, but his pride was on the line now. He would not let it drop, so I regretfully asked another question. I figured networking was not his strength and maybe he was better at electronics so I asked the easiest electronics question I knew, "What is Ohm's law?"

He called me an idiot and said I didn't know enough about hacking to even ask a question about it.

I agreed about my own stupidity to lighten the mood; however, he wasn't leaving the bar without correctly answering one of my questions. Maybe I ordered too many beers, or maybe he was used to drinking something with less alcohol than Guinness, but he kept probing and probing until his ego was smoothed in front of his friends.

I asked some more easy questions:
"What is 101 converted from binary to decimal?", but binary wasn't his strength.
"What is boyce-codd normal form?", but he didn't know about database normalization.
"How can a conditional statement be used in SQL injection?", but somehow this was unrelated to hacking also.
Finally I asked, "Can you name one Linux distribution?" and he said Ubuntu.

He called me a "noob", and I agreed to avoid confrontation. A few beers and pool games later we parted on a good note.

So I guess my question would be, do I have the concept of hacking completely wrong? Aren't those all hacking questions?