After my previous blog post, I have been enlightened a little more on the definition of a hacker. Basically, it was stated that it is a hunger for knowledge and a thirst for enlightenment. It is the desire to alter, change, or manipulate something into a purpose that wasn't intended, or maybe even thought of before.

As I ponder my previous post and the mentality of the hacker that called himself "elite", I wonder if a hacker should ever think of themselves as anything but a newbie.

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates
The more you know, the less you understand. -- Lao-Tse

When I think of these quotes from such wise people, I realize how right they are. There are so many things to learn in this world, and knowledge can be so deep within these sciences. With every new technology there is so much to learn. With every new programming language there are so many exploits and syntax possibilities. With every new hardware development, there are ways to alter it. The world is constantly evolving, and while I may know more than someone on a certain topic, they may know much more than me on several other topics.

The more we learn, the more we open up the doors to knowledge. We learn how little it is that we know about a subject. Eventually, there opens a way to learn more details of a subject, and how much there is to learn on the topic. It is only then when growth occurs.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. -- Socrates

When someone thinks of himself as elite, does the drive to learn slow down? Are we not all newbies on any particular given topic? How can we learn if we don't consider the fact that we know nothing?

It is this self-awareness of ignorance that may truly separate the intelligent from the masses. It is the true expert that realizes that they cannot possibly learn everything. It is truly the wise that learn where their ignorance lies. It is the unenlightened who may not even know what they have yet to learn. It may stagnant growth, and put limits to their creativity.

So now I ponder the following question: Is there no such a thing as an "elite" hacker?