I've been gone from the site for a while, I missed last years DefCon (and I still owe Renderman a lunch...jeez). While I was on my hiatus I was working for a VAR that still shall remain nameless, I transitioned from being the "National Technical VMWare lead" to being a Cloud Services Architect and built a few data centers around "t3h cloud". It was a good gig, mostly working from home, which was a double edged sword....

I was able to surf (awesome)
I was able to surf (instead of work...fuck)

Ah well, the best laid plans right.

The long and the short of it is I learned quite a bit about "data center 2 point oh...3 point oh...whatever".. really high end equipment (Cisco 7018, 5k, 4900M, NetAPP 3170, Xsigo I/O Directors, etc etc)

Fun stuff.

At the end of the day though, the VAR life wasn't for me, I'm a corporate guy, through and through, the grind of a VAR environment was too much, the hours too long, and I can only be so nice to a potential customer before giving up on them completely.

I've landed at a new place now, one that I am completely in love with (yes I want to marry it).

I've finally got the word "Security" in my title, which means I can be the information nazi that I've always wanted to be.

One of the things I'm doing is a security review of the current network, storage, active directory, linux/unix, etc infrastructure and producing reports that outline the areas that need improvement. I've done it a million different times in a million different networks and the attitudes I encounter from other engineers is without fail nearly the same.

I've written a few reports, had a few meetings and the overwhelming feeling I get from a lot of the peer engineers in the organization is that I'm insulting them, telling them that they have done a piss poor job of securing the infrastructure, configuring the devices, building a beautiful system impervious to hacking bastards. I've got quite good at report writing over the last couple of years, got it down to a template/science/whatever. I outline best practices, both industry, and manufacturer specific, back it up with evidence, clearly outline what's lacking, and what things should look like moving forward.

Yet still, people act as though I just pissed in their cheerios when I deliver one of these reports that are meant to make the environment more stable, more secure, more...uh...better?

Why do people become so heavily emotionally involved with the technology they work on?

Why do people let the infrastructure's they have built define them as an engineer?

I thought we all got into this game to learn from each other, to accept constructive criticism and take it in stride when someone says

"Hey, you're a f&^&ing retard"

:-)

Isn't it nice to have me back?