Selling swag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling swag

I've got some Sparcs that I would like to get rid of... I've heard about all the vendors and what not (have never been to defcon), I only have like 4 or 5 (now anyways) , plus some parts, that I would like to dump. Would I have to register? Is there provisions for individuals selling crap? Any suggestions?

Re: Selling swag

Originally posted by Verruckt
    I've got some Sparcs that I would like to get rid of... I've heard about all the vendors and what not (have never been to defcon), I only have like 4 or 5 (now anyways) , plus some parts, that I would like to dump. Would I have to register? Is there provisions for individuals selling crap? Any suggestions?
    http://www.securitytribe.com/DC11Ven...endor-FAQ.html
    3) Who are the Points of Contact for DefCon Vendor Relations?

3a) Same as last year, the points of contact for the vendor area are:
    Russ: russ@defcon.org

and Chris: chris@defcon.org
    4a) There is no price increase on tables this year. They will
    once again be $300.00 each for all three days of DefCon.
    New this year. Two tables will be set aside for vendors that only need one day.
    These tables will be $100.00 per day. You must specify which day you need the table
    when you request it.
    10) What should I try to sell?

10a) Well, let's see. T-shirts do well. So does pretty much anything
    drinking related (shot glasses, Beer mugs).
    Gadgets. Computers and hardware. Stickers. Pins. The sky is the limit.

19) Are there any exceptions to this rule?

19a) Of course! There always are. IF DT has set something up
    with you on his own, he normally tells us. These situations
    are the exception. If you feel you ARE an exception, email
    us in advance and we'll double check with DT.

------------------------------------

20) Do you allow "Not-For-Profit" charities to reserve tables?

20a) Again, this is DTs call. If you are interested in a table
    for the conference, as a charity, then email us. We'll talk
    to DT about it.

Comment

Hmmm, me thinks Ebay might work a bit better. That $100 might cut into my profit margin a bit...:p

I guess what I meant was, if there was some sort of organized/unorganized means for individuals to sell some crap. No problem then.

Comment

I'd just bring them and spread the word that you're looking to get rid of them.

Peronsally, I try to sell stickers and convince some friends of mine who vend to sell them for me as long as they take a healthy profit on them.

Just make something up, try not to piss anyone off and stay within the rules.

Good luck getting rid of those boat anchors. :)

Comment

Originally posted by froggy
          I'd just bring them and spread the word that you're looking to get rid of them.

Peronsally, I try to sell stickers and convince some friends of mine who vend to sell them for me as long as they take a healthy profit on them.

Just make something up, try not to piss anyone off and stay within the rules.

Good luck getting rid of those boat anchors. :)
          See, I thought about spreading the word, but then if it was like maybe one item its not a big deal. But selling 4 would be sort of undercutting the con IMO.

I suggested perhaps a Consignment table. Would be very easy to take care of the cost of the table each day. I'm sure there are enough people out there with a few things to sell, but not enough to justify an entire table.

Comment

See, I thought about spreading the word, but then if it was like maybe one item its not a big deal. But selling 4 would be sort of undercutting the con IMO.
            Well...each vendor is a seperate entity so you would be undercutting the legit vendors that paid for space, not the con.

I suggested perhaps a Consignment table.
            Who did you suggest this to?

Would be very easy to take care of the cost of the table each day. I'm sure there are enough people out there with a few things to sell, but not enough to justify an entire table.
            Many folks get together and share tables for just this reason. My suggestion would be to try to find a couple more and then grab one of the one day tables. If you had 4 people that would only be $25 each.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chris. Yes I didnt really want to go that route because I knew that that would be putting it to the legit vendors. (does this mean i can charge the same for my ss20's??? :D ) I sent a PM to Grifter about this. But what you said makes sense. I guess I will probably get together with some folks and do that. When do the tables generally sell out? Or are we getting to the 11th hour?

Comment

No tables have been allocated yet. We have changed things up this year so that prospective vendors need to request a table. In a few weeks Russ and I will get with DT and determine who is going to get tables (if more apps are received than space is available). You should be in good shape. We have less space this year than last, but I don't think that we ran out of tables until about 6-8 weeks before the Con last year.
                perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Excellent. Thanks man! :D

I may hold off a bit and try and organize a group close to the con.

Comment

I sent a PM to Grifter about this.
                    "Suggestion | Verruckt | 02-20-2003 11:23 AM"

Apparently, I should respond more quickly.
                    .: Grifter :.

Comment

Hey, no problem. If you are as busy as I am, then a reply by sometime next week would have been more than adequate.:D

Comment

Working...
                      X