Nic/Antenna Combos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nic/Antenna Combos?

Hi! I'm new to war driving...just got my first laptop recently after being tied to my desktops for a long time. What I'm looking for is NIC/Antenna combo suggestions.

I've only seen one combo with a Orinco card (never heard of them) with an antenna that mounts on top of the car (perfect!). It's 160 dollars but I was hoping to see if anyone else had any other suggestions. Or possibly any comments on this Orinco card? Here's the link to the combo:

http://www.wirelesscentral.net/aprod/STUM-ANTW.html

I would appreciate any comments & suggestions!
    Joseph

P.S. Can an administrator delete the USFJoseph account? I never got the authorize the account link at my email & can't use it now. I had to create this one with a unused yahoo mail account. :(

Little button.... at the top... it says "search". You're not the first person to ask for hardware advice, and you won't be the last. Search on "antenna", and you'll get all of Blackwave's posts on where to buy, where to get info, etc.

I think you might be better off buying everything individually, but that's just my personal opinion. That way, you know you're getting quality parts, and you can shop for the lowes prices on each piece.

Also, if you've never heard of Orinoco cards, you haven't done any research at all. These are some of the most popular cards out there.
    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Read the post below
      The penguin is watching.
      "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Sorry about not searching first. I just read through a couple of the threads instead of searching so I didn't see all that great info!

Another question now since I've been looking at the different orinoco cards. When I meant I never heard of them I meant that they aren't a brand name that I've heard of like D-Link or LinkSys, etc..

What would you suggest to be the best one (specially for wardriving). They have the Orinoco Silver & Gold but also the combo now. The combo does .11a & .11b -- Is .11a found much anymore?

Thanks for any suggestions!
        Joseph

Comment

You may find the Netstumbler Forums of interest. There has been a lot of discussion regarding what works well and what doesn't.

I am not that big of a fan for 11g, or 11a for that matter.. so I recommend to stick with 11b products. Yeah they're slower, but... As far as silver/gold go, get whatever you can find cheaper is my opinion. The only notable difference is WEP support, which only matters if you intend on using WEP.
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Do scroll down below for a thread title "Starting Wardriving" BW gives a list of a basic setup with some one good stuff.
            The penguin is watching.
            "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Working...
            X