<-- total noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <-- total noob

Hi...I'm sad to say I've never been to defcon...I'm thinking about going with a couple friends that know about computers. We really want to learn more, but there's nowhere to learn it from, except the internet. I would like to attend workshops and all that crap (I REALLY WANT TO LEARN), but you know...I'm in like the middle of nowhere where people think I'm the computer god...lol. Would like some pointers and some do's and don'ts if I decide to go. I've got all the basics about computers...built several...need to learn more about networks...you guys probably know what I mean
    I am a learner seeking direction, but why so many fingers pointing everywhere?

Well.... you got the run part right. I am in a similar situation, different part of the country. Learning is a much slower process when you don't have others at the same level per topic interested in learning along with you. The only solution that I have concluded is to move, or to keep muddling through like a snail.

Defcon is a breath of fresh air... if but a short one
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I see no reason why one in the middle-of-nowhere cannot learn as much (if not more) than one submerged in tech society. It takes more effort, but it can be done.
      At least you're not asking for a 'mentor'. Gah, I never saw the purpose of such a thing. It just seemed like regurgitation of misinformation from MGM's Hackers.

Advice? Look for e-books. They’re free and don’t take up a bunch of space in your room. I'd start with something on TCP/IP and Unix (or some variant thereof). After that, maybe dabble around with coding. HTML/PHP is always a useful skill from which you can make some easy cash, keep that in mind.
      Use the fact that you're the only computer literate person in an isolated area. You've got your own little monopoly waiting to be exploited.

Comment

hahaha

I already know/have done most of that stuff and am trudging through. Right now I make what little money I get from building webpages in HTML and Flash MX (w/ CSS and JS and all that crap), but I did get a job to be a techie for a small insurance/accounting firm :). I'm a lot better with the hardware, and had a LOT less trouble with that (I am extremely proficient w/ hardware). I do make little gem programs in Visual Basic for inventory at my new school, but that's more of a charity thing.

I'll go d/l some of those e-books, thanks for the suggestion.

And here's a pretty funny story: almost every computer book in the library IS STOLEN. everything from Assembly Language to TCP/IP to Visual Basic has been stolen, and now they charge a $20 deposit!

Thanks for your advice, and I am wearing fire-retardant clothing ;) . It's gonna be tough to trudge through especially when Linux doesn't boot...that's frustrating (and since comp. won't boot can't post to a forum/read e-books) but thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind. Any more advice?

Comment

Re: &lt;-- total noob

Originally posted by sp0n9e
          Hi...I'm sad to say I've never been to defcon...I'm thinking about going with a couple friends that know about computers. We really want to learn more, but there's nowhere to learn it from, except the internet.
          Actually, the internet is your best source, as well as perhaps offering to take those old "useless" boxes off your neighbors hands and building a small network. Read read read is your best source, and when something confuses you or is not googleable, then post or find a friendly face in irc to explain stuff to ya. I admit it helps having folks around... just listening to folks talk when you don't understand all of it can be helpful. However, being the only one in an area could end up being an advantage somewhere down the road as nulltone said.

I found when I went to Defcon last year, though I basically understood the talks I went to, I didn't understand them enough to apply it practically. I am hoping I get more out of it this year, and maybe the newbie stuff will be better labeled. Of course, YMMV, it might just be that I'm a slow learner, not my area, zombified on 2.5hrs sleep, etc. At least you'll have the advantage of being around folks that speak the same language. The more linux/general security you know, the better off you will be. :)

Comment

Lurk around these forums and do ALOT of searching. You would be amazed how much you can learn from these guys just by reading their old threads. Google is your best friend now. I dont know if you have one near you, but in Portland there is a used computer book store called Powell's Technical which sells used $50 computer books for about $8, so look for a used book store in your area.
            The penguin is watching.
            "The DefCon forums dont reward knowledge, but punish iggnorance." -Noid

Comment

Originally posted by nulltone
              I see no reason why one in the middle-of-nowhere cannot learn as much (if not more) than one submerged in tech society. It takes more effort, but it can be done.
              Correct, it is a lot more difficult / time-consuming having one frustrated brain tackling a problem than two or more. The amount of time and effort slows things down considerably.. not stops or prevents, but hinders. However, it also engraves the solution and knowledge into your head pretty good by the time you get there - kung fu :)
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by EeeekPenguins
                Powell's Technical which sells used $50 computer books for about $8, so look for a used book store in your area.
                Damn, what books are you buying there? I looked for O'Reilly books there, and the best I could do was $21 for the bash book, because about 50 pages or so are turned around backwards. So when you get to page 80, you have to turn the book over and upside down, read until page 1??, then turn it back. That was one of the cheapest deals I saw there. Even the Bind book that looked like one corner had been chewed by a dog was $$. You must not be trying to buy IEEE proceedings either. :D

Comment

We have Half Price books here, which sells last edition O'Reilly manuals REALLY cheap. They're also online, for those that don't have one locally. For example, I got Running Linux for $14.98 (retail is $39.95), plus I get an additional 10% teacher's discount. There's NOTHING wrong with these books, except that they're one edition behind the absolute current release, so as soon as a new release hits the shelf, a bunch of these books hit Half Price Books.
                  the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by mfreeck
                    Damn, what books are you buying there? I looked for O'Reilly books there, and the best I could do was $21 for the bash book, because about 50 pages or so are turned around backwards. So when you get to page 80, you have to turn the book over and upside down, read until page 1??, then turn it back. That was one of the cheapest deals I saw there. Even the Bind book that looked like one corner had been chewed by a dog was $$. You must not be trying to buy IEEE proceedings either. :D
                    You just have to look around and wait. I got the third edition of hacking exposed for about $10.
                    The penguin is watching.

Comment

thanks guys for all the info...most of the stuff you suggested I had already been doing to some degree, but some of you proposed new ideas...now to find the time to read/search...you guys are awesome...I wasn't flamed :). I guess the hacker community here isn't so harsh to the newbies as I heard they were. Thanks.

Comment

thanks guys for all the info...most of the stuff you suggested I had already been doing to some degree, but some of you proposed new ideas...now to find the time to read/search...you guys are awesome...I wasn't flamed :). I guess the hacker community here isn't so harsh to the newbies as I heard they were. Thanks.
                        You caught us on a good day. Don't push it.
                        the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Re: &lt;-- total noob

We really want to learn more, but there's nowhere to learn it from, except the internet. I would like to attend workshops and all that crap (I REALLY WANT TO LEARN), but you know...I'm in like the middle of nowhere where people think I'm the computer god...lol.
                          What about driving a couple hours to your nearest 2600 meeting? If it's a decent one, it'd probably be worth the effort each month to get there.

Comment

i`m disturbed by your comment "except the internet". what the hell are you talking about!? it`s the place that holds all knowledge. you just have to look a little harder than you used to......
                            the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                              i`m disturbed by your comment "except the internet". what the hell are you talking about!? it`s the place that holds all knowledge. you just have to look a little harder than you used to......
                              Read it again. he was saying that Defcon is the only places to learn about hacking except the internet.
                              The penguin is watching.

Comment

Working...
                              X