Wifi in Police Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi in Police Cars

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the wireless technology the police and highway patrol use for the laptops in their patrol cars. I have heard from some people that they use CDMA. What would a person need to sniff the packets coming to and from the police car? (It would be need to see what the cop finds out about me when i get pulled over)
    -play
    play@x-mafia.com

about six months ago there was a news article that talked about northern california sheriffs beta testing ipaq+wifi cards instead of using their usual writing tablets... they had explained that they had the security all covered (laugh here)... but have yet to find more information on where these beta sites are and whether they are still active, or if they have shot this bad idea down... I haven't heard any updates on this.

Comment

Re: Wifi in Police Cars

Originally posted by play
      Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the wireless technology the police and highway patrol use for the laptops in their patrol cars. I have heard from some people that they use CDMA. What would a person need to sniff the packets coming to and from the police car? (It would be need to see what the cop finds out about me when i get pulled over)
      -play
      play@x-mafia.com

Why would you want to do that?

Comment

I would love the police to have wifi, it would be netstumbling to avoid tickets.....;)
        ~:CK:~
        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

some of them do

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
            some of them do
            More then "some".

What would a person need to sniff the packets coming to and from the police car? (It would be need to see what the cop finds out about me when i get pulled over)
            They would need to be very careful. While stumbling isn't illegal, accessing those networks will get you quite a deal of time. And they do prosecute people on things like this.....

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
              More then "some".
              Not wifi, most likely CDMA or GPRS.

You are right, these transmissions are probably defined as "priveleged comunications" like radar detectors and digital radios. Whole lot of hurting for listening in.

Comment

One company has a police detector. Not a radar or laser, but police. It relies ont he fact that the cars have mini-repeaters in them to relay signals to the radio the officer may carry on his belt when out of the vehicle. Also I suppose police cars generate other RF, all you have to do is watchout for that....

Comment

Whole lot of hurting for listening in.
                  if astcell stands naked in a forest, can you still imagine it?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                    if astcell stands naked in a forest, can you still imagine it?
                    Bigfoot's love child.

Comment

Once upon a time, I was sitting on a park bench, and a little bird flew overhead and dropped a note on my lap that said:

A few years ago I worked for a local government, which included some work with the police department. I was part of a project which included the installation of laptops and CDPD modems, with a direct connection to the CAD (computer aided dispatch), NCIC, and other police systems. I'm not sure if they're still using CDPD, but it occured to me at the time that the traffic would be pretty easy to sniff with the right equipment. A sample product is here.

That was the end of the note, so I threw it away and went home.

Comment

I recall either 2600, blacklisted!411, or thud coming out with a little howto make your own police sniffing-type modem a few years or so ago... I don't have the issue handy or recall the specifics of the article... of course it was for educational and informational purposes only.

Comment

Not wifi, most likely CDMA or GPRS.

You are right, these transmissions are probably defined as "priveleged comunications" like radar detectors and digital radios. Whole lot of hurting for listening in.
                          yes, wifi

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                            yes, wifi
                            really? that's quite interesting ...

Comment

really? that's quite interesting ...
                              I know of over 12 departments who use it.

Comment

Working...
                              X