Movies and Such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies and Such

ok.. so here's the thing.. we are trying to find all of the movies that mfreeck (and other media-hermits ) MUST see.. so help out here, throw up your ideas and help us teach these knaves what real film is all about... thanx
    Siviak
    If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Re: Movies and Such

Originally posted by Siviak
    ok.. so here's the thing.. we are trying to find all of the movies that mfreeck (and other media-hermits ) MUST see.. so help out here, throw up your ideas and help us teach these knaves what real film is all about... thanx
    Siviak
    That's easy, you can check out Defcon TV:
    http://www.defcontv.org/suggest.php

... though you may want to request Grifter for the raw database which may contain a few more movies that people like though are not going to be involved because of non-dvd availability or such... but that is pretty much the ultimate list of must see (computer/hacker/etc) movies... :)

A few of my personal faves that aren't on there are thx1138, and lawrence of arabia... everyone should see those. :)

If you think of a movie that isn't on the Defcon TV list you should suggest it, it is possible that no one has... though it is unlikely :)

Comment

While the movies on that list are a good place to start, this poor girl is REALLY sheltred. She needs the basics. She's lost when we quote even the simplest Monty Pyton or Mel Brooks lines... she stares blankly when we relate current events to Full Metal Jacket. This needs to be a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG list of the quintessential classics for self-respecting geeks!
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

hmmm... mfreeck is into alternate reality... let's suit her up like lawnmower man and pump her full of memory inducing chemicals, and a few IV's of nurishment and have her sit in a big chair with a few terra servers hooked up to a hud, and leave her there for about a week...

... it's alive!

Comment

I just got the DVD "Reefer Madness", quite a film for being made in 1936....:p

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
            While the movies on that list are a good place to start, this poor girl is REALLY sheltred. She needs the basics. She's lost when we quote even the simplest Monty Pyton or Mel Brooks lines... she stares blankly when we relate current events to Full Metal Jacket. This needs to be a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG list of the quintessential classics for self-respecting geeks!
            What would William Bennet say? This is one of the most severe cases of cultural literacy impoverishment on record. Obviously there is a need for a Geek Media Canon.

Here's my contribution:

Mel Brooks:
            Young Frankenstein
            Blazing Saddles
            History of the World Part 1 (a minor work)

John Carpenter/ Kurt Russel Movies:
            Escape from New York
            The Thing

Python:
            This a very broad and fertile area, so watch it all including all the later stuff they did (Brazil, etc). These will get you by.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
            Life of Bryan
            Meaning of Life (if just for the sperm song)

Charleton Heston's '70s Distopian Future :
            Planet of Apes (the first one will do, but the rest are valuable historical documents)
            Omega Man
            Soylent Green

too many to list

Oh yeah, nothing with Tom Hanks

Comment

hmmm... I think blackwave and I irc'd this up one night, and he was less than impressed with my film-wang

bw: I still haven't seen that flick.. the agent? the trainer? whatever it was you were raving about that night..
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                bw: I still haven't seen that flick.. the agent? the trainer? whatever it was you were raving about that night..
                haha yes c0n, your movie-wang is lives in a box, a very dark one :) hmmm... sounds like we were talking either about "the recruit", or "the hunted"... though I don't recall "raving" :p

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                  haha yes c0n, your movie-wang is lives in a box, a very dark one :) hmmm... sounds like we were talking either about "the recruit", or "the hunted"... though I don't recall "raving" :p
                  #1 non-computer movie of all time: DEAD ALIVE (aka braindead)
                  http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...an=31398684138

Comment

Originally posted by murakami

History of the World Part 1 (a minor work)
                    A MINOR WORK?!?!!? SURELY YOU JEST!!! This is a classic!! Now a minor work, I think, would be To Be or Not To Be. We just ran into this one, and DAMN it was hilarious. But History of the World Part 1 is a MUST SEE. Hell, the box I'm on right now is named after a character!!
                    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

motel hell, blazing saddles and the wanderers.
                      "so many books, so little time"

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
                        A MINOR WORK?!?!!? SURELY YOU JEST!!! This is a classic!! Now a minor work, I think, would be To Be or Not To Be. We just ran into this one, and DAMN it was hilarious. But History of the World Part 1 is a MUST SEE. Hell, the box I'm on right now is named after a character!!
                        OK it is an important work and I would recommend it over Spaceballs. However, with so much catching up to do, I think you can get the flavor of Brooks in Blazing Saddles.

Comment

sorry to say I will never be a mel brooks fan, octalpussy tried to coax me, but I kept gagging.. :/ that man's comedy does not amuse me in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
                            Life of Bryan
                            Meaning of Life (if just for the sperm song)

...Hell anything even related to Monty Python is worth seeing. the flying circus is a great show to watch if you ever get a chance. It doesnt come on that much anymore unless you get the BBC.

~KaraHyo

Comment

same goes for benny hill's programs and songs, that man always makes me laugh, I have benny hill's greatest hits when I am on the road and damn I can't stop laughing at his songs... his show kicked ass hands down with all the women he had on the show... yummy.

Comment

Working...
                              X