Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    The "Recent Blog Posts" was not showing any recent blog posts. Appears to be working now.

What else is broken?

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    Blogs... This is screwy. Pre-upgrade, clicking on Blogs link would show you recent blog posts by many users and offer a link to "My Blog" which would be your blog. I see no such "My Blog" link, and we should add one.
    I have added such a link to show you your blog entries and anyone else's blog where you have replied to them. Visit the "Blogs" NavBar link ( https://forum.defcon.org/blogs ) and on that page, locate the link named "MY ENTRIES/REPLIES" ( https://forum.defcon.org/blogs?filte..._blogs=show_my ) to see your own blog entries and other people's blog entries where you have replied.

Styles/Themes: Highlighting and Notice of soft-deleted posts is terrible making it hard to read. The Login drop-down when logging in has yellow link and test on light background, this needs to be resolved. When navigating in blogs and other places, the "arrows" to navigate pages is dark on dark, making it hard to see, so hard to click.
    Highlight notices, login drop-down, and soft-delete notice highlighting have been addressed in theme "Dark". Not all instances of "dark arrows on dark background" have been found and resolved.

What else is broken?

Originally posted by veruus View Post
    Hey gents,

Quick status check. Haven't logged in in a while :)
    Welcome back!

Are we using the new forum currently or is it in beta somewhere else? [Nevermind, I see what's going on.] Also, regarding that Facebook login - is oauth2 an option at this point?
    I have not had much time to look into the FaceBook integration documentation yet. I've been spending my time trying to address problems with the forums after upgrading. Most of the work has so far been centered on permissions (too restrictive after disabling forced-lurking period) and implementing a "dark" theme/style to satisfy the regulars. I do plan to include a high-contrast "Light" theme for easy reading, too, but that is after "dark" is mostly functional.

Edit: Cot, did you roll over the posts odometer on your account? :D
    Ah, I've edited my post-count many times over the years, always moving the count down; I have worries I will exceed "unsigned long long" if I don't artificially deflate the count. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• veruus
    replied
    Hey gents,

Quick status check. Haven't logged in in a while :)

Are we using the new forum currently or is it in beta somewhere else? [Nevermind, I see what's going on.] Also, regarding that Facebook login - is oauth2 an option at this point?

Edit: Cot, did you roll over the posts odometer on your account? :D
    Last edited by veruus; February 11, 2015, 01:27.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    I think I have the "New Topics" link fixed. Recent upgrade broke it. Added 2 more elements in search and it seems to work again. Please try it and let me know if otherwise.

If you are having problems with being unable to send/receive PM, please let me know. As of now, all accounts where users gave me permissions to check, this is working.

If you can't post a new "Topic" (old word was "thread") to an existing forum and you think you should be able to, please let me know so I can investigate. All users that reported this problem seem to not have this problem anymore.

If you can't post a new post/reply to an existing "Topic" (old word was "thread") and you think you should be able to, please let me know so I can investigate. All users that reported this problem seem to not have this problem anymore.

Blogs... This is screwy. Pre-upgrade, clicking on Blogs link would show you recent blog posts by many users and offer a link to "My Blog" which would be your blog. I see no such "My Blog" link, and we should add one.

Blogs.... if you want to make a new blog entry, after clicking on "Blogs" in the NavBar, locate a rectangular "Submit-style" button with text "+ Blog Entry" and click that -- it should bring you to a page where you can add another entry to your blog.

Styles/Themes: Highlighting and Notice of soft-deleted posts is terrible making it hard to read. The Login drop-down when logging in has yellow link and test on light background, this needs to be resolved. When navigating in blogs and other places, the "arrows" to navigate pages is dark on dark, making it hard to see, so hard to click.

What else is broken?

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    When i log in, i can see some of the sub-forums appear with blue word balloon icons as opposed to gray ones. So that should indicate that they are the areas with new content. Then, when in a sub-forum, i can see some threads have blue "down arrow" icons. Clicking any of these usually brings me to the post on that thread which has been added since my last visit.

However, this feature still seems to be imperfect. Some posts I've read before still seem to appear as "new" to my user, even after clicking "Mark Channels Read" (is that the same as "mark all forums read?") and logging out, logging in, etc.

We'll get there.

Leave a comment:

• bigezy
    replied

Would you be willing to copy/paste a URL for this search, or let me know which search you attempted by location of and which page you used for searching?

Thanks!
    -Cot
    Cot:
    I get the same error Deviant is seeing by clicking "new topics"... here is the url:
    https://forum.defcon.org/search?sear...ssage%22%5D%7D

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    the "new threads" link for me generated a search error on my recent login... "Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again."
    Would you be willing to copy/paste a URL for this search, or let me know which search you attempted by location of and which page you used for searching?

Thanks!
    -Cot

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    I believe that bigezy is able to get and send PM again. If any users have problems with PM, please let me know by posting here or emailing me at defconforums@gmail.com

I've fixed the color contrast in "Dark" when composing a PM to a user, and you type in a username, and auto-complete or finish, leaving the selected recipient as "dark text on dark background" -- now it is light text during selection, auto-complete and final selection.

I've fixed the second navigation list in forums (Forums, Latest Activity, My Subscriptions) so that the selected "tab" is readable (background/font contrast is higher.)

At leastone user has been able to post a test thread in Community Talk: https://forum.defcon.org/forum/gener...ivacy-settings This shows that we are on the right track towards getting permissions working like they should.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    the "new threads" link for me generated a search error on my recent login... "Your criteria is not restrictive enough and might return too many results. Please restrict your criteria and try again."

Leave a comment:

• bigezy
    replied

Is it okay with you if I steal your account, test posting and PM to it, and then restore the password? (I won't look at any existing PM, only at test PM I send it from my account.)

(I do not need your password, and no mod or admin should ever ask for it. I would just copy the hash for your password, replaced your hash with one I choose, do my tests, then restore your original hash, making your original password work again, all without ever knowing your password.)

After I am finished with testing, you'll get your account back, and I'll try to restore the hashed value for the password. If the hash-restoration process does not work, you will need to use password reset, and that requires your email address is valid and you have access to it.

Let me know if this is okay with you. I'll see if I can set a test account to match the settings your account has while I wait for your answer.

Thanks!
    -Cot

Replying here with a yes (I still can not reply via PM)...

Do what you need to do, I would be surprised if I am the only person in this state.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Originally posted by bigezy View Post

Cot:

No Joy. Still no permissions in my private message folder. (I can not reply to your private message) I also still can not start topics (only reply to existing threads) I thought I would let it wait a few days. Tried from different machines.

I wonder if anyone else is having this trouble?

Cheers
    Is it okay with you if I steal your account, test posting and PM to it, and then restore the password? (I won't look at any existing PM, only at test PM I send it from my account.)

(I do not need your password, and no mod or admin should ever ask for it. I would just copy the hash for your password, replaced your hash with one I choose, do my tests, then restore your original hash, making your original password work again, all without ever knowing your password.)

After I am finished with testing, you'll get your account back, and I'll try to restore the hashed value for the password. If the hash-restoration process does not work, you will need to use password reset, and that requires your email address is valid and you have access to it.

Let me know if this is okay with you. I'll see if I can set a test account to match the settings your account has while I wait for your answer.

Thanks!
    -Cot

Last edited by TheCotMan; February 3, 2015, 17:26.

Leave a comment:

• bigezy
    replied

Ah! Sorry about that. Thanks for the report!

It looks like usergroup permission for "0" enforced limit instead of masking to allow primary usergroup membership to be the default. I've changed the max PM to 120 for members, and all 3 usergroups users may join. With a new server and more space, we can probably set a max count of PM to something even higher. If 120 (total of inbox and sent) is too low, say so, and we can bump it up.

Please try again and reload the page for messages and see if you can now send PM.

-Cot

Cot:

No Joy. Still no permissions in my private message folder. (I can not reply to your private message) I also still can not start topics (only reply to existing threads) I thought I would let it wait a few days. Tried from different machines.

I wonder if anyone else is having this trouble?

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Thanks Cot...

When I do a Control+F Find on the top page of a forum on the term "new topic" I only get 1/1 matches (There is no New Topic (singular) that I can see in any forum (checked in chrome and firefox)

Note that I have sent private messages since the forum upgrade... This seems recent. Also in my private message space when I click reply to your PM nothing happens. When I try to forward the PM I get the same message I get when I click the white compose button.(pasted below):
    New Message

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
    Ah! Sorry about that. Thanks for the report!

It looks like usergroup permission for "0" enforced limit instead of masking to allow primary usergroup membership to be the default. I've changed the max PM to 120 for members, and all 3 usergroups users may join. With a new server and more space, we can probably set a max count of PM to something even higher. If 120 (total of inbox and sent) is too low, say so, and we can bump it up.

Please try again and reload the page for messages and see if you can now send PM.

-Cot

Leave a comment:

• bigezy
    replied
    Thanks Cot...

When I do a Control+F Find on the top page of a forum on the term "new topic" I only get 1/1 matches (There is no New Topic (singular) that I can see in any forum (checked in chrome and firefox)

Note that I have sent private messages since the forum upgrade... This seems recent. Also in my private message space when I click reply to your PM nothing happens. When I try to forward the PM I get the same message I get when I click the white compose button.(pasted below):
    New Message

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied
    As of today (meaning I noticed today) I can no longer send Private Messages or start threads(never really tried in the new forums but, it seems I can not find a button to do that). Also could someone contact me privately about something I noticed mucking about the forums today. (Seems as if I do not have permission to reply to any of my PM's in the forum either)
    I do not see the "Send PM" option from the old forums under the User Profiles. (In the old forums, you could click on the Icon/Avatar or username of any post in any thread, and find a link to send a PM (Private Message) , but I do not see that now.

To send a PM, please scroll all the way to the top, and look for a light-colored bar at the very top of the page with at least 2 options "Message" and "$USERNAME" drop-down menu. Click on messages. From the resulting page, you can choose to view your inbox and reply to existing messages, or click "compose" to start a new PM on a new topic to a new recipient. A problem with this is you have to type a username as a recipient, and this can be a problem when usernames may use non-western character, or there are several users with similar names.

I'll keep looking. I would not expect them to remove the "Send PM" option from user profiles -- that ensures the user your found in a post is the one that will be getting your PM, without a mistake in typing their name incorrectly.

Starting thread:

Visit a forum: (example forum: https://forum.defcon.org/forum/defco...on-23-planning ) then choose the option in your browser to "find on page" and type the string to search for: new topic

There are two parts that match this for me. One is a link to show "new topicS" which ends with an "S" and the other is "new topic" which allows you to start a new thread.

If you find how to send a user a PM from their profile or as a link from their user information in a post, let me know. Otherwise, I will add this to the list of things to investigate.

Thanks!

PS: I tried the text-region in your profile, and sent that. It turns out that text-space for composing messages is what the forums calls "visitor messages"

Trying the "Messages" link (top right of page in the bar next to a drop-down of "$USERNAME") brings me to "message center" and the option "Compose New" can be used to compose PM. The space to type usernames attempts to complete a short list of users that match the first chars you have typed, reducing the list from some max as your string approaches a match.

I already see (with testing this) the recipient specification works with light color font on dark background, but once you select the username, the recipient becomes dark text on dark background. This is a theme bug. I will investigate.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 30, 2015, 12:54.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X