Registration for DC23 Shoot [was open now closed] + Call for Staff and RSOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration for DC23 Shoot [was open now closed] + Call for Staff and RSOs

The registration page for the DC23 Shoot is up and the PayPal backend should be working...

http://deviating.net/firearms/defcon...istration.html

...just as a reminder for any new moderators, etc, the DC Shoot itself is a "free" event in that anyone can come, see friends, hang out, etc. You don't have to pay nor do you have to be attending DEFCON, etc. The fees collected in the registration system go toward the group purchase of rental tent canopies, tables, chairs, etc. that make for some better amenities which some people like.

Non-badged folk are welcome to set up shop further down the line (and each year plenty of folk do this) but the tent canopy lanes are for the people who have helped to cover the cost of them. Same goes for the things like the hangout tent, giveaway swag, the toilet, etc.

As always, some of us will be camping out there in between the Weds. afternoon and Thurs. morning sessions... anyone is welcome to be a part of that. By the way, i SERIOUSLY am in love with these items now... http://luminaid.com ...and want to set one in each tent canopy for the Weds evening hours.

CALL FOR STAFF AND RSOs

As always, we can't make this event run without people in Yellow Vests managing the crowds and people in Orange Vests keeping us all safe. If you can volunteer for two shifts, please email me or post below. Volunteers get free admission to the event and get use of a dedicated staff shooting lane whenever they're not on-shift.

You also get the undying gratitude of me and all the other attendees, since the DC Shoot couldn't happen without you.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Put me down as staff for any 2 sessions. I'll be there for all 4 so put me wherever you need the hands.

~L0G1C

Comment

This would be the first time I will attend the shoot.

Do we bring our own firearms or can they be rented onsite?

Comment

Originally posted by TiroSec View Post
        This would be the first time I will attend the shoot.

Do we bring our own firearms or can they be rented onsite?
        In the past, there has been no official, central "we rent weapons." People bring their own weapons, and fire them, Some individuals, decide on their own to share access to their weapons. Some do it for free. Even if they let you shoot for free, please offer them some cash to help them pay for other people that might want to shoot.

Smaller calibre weapons usually cost less per round than large calibre weapons. (.22 is usually cheaper than a .50)

Each owner of weapons chooses on their own which people , if any, they are willing to let use their weapons. Each person may discriminate. They may feel comfortable with one person using their weapon, but not feel comfortable with another. Usually these varied decisions are based on either how well they know the person or observed behaviour, such as a person acting cavalier with a firearm, and not showing safe actions.

This said, there is usually at least one person that encourages people new to firearms to use their weapons. Your selection of weapons may not be as broad as the full assortment you see people using, but if you want to fire something specific, there are firing ranges in Las Vegas that have firearm rental as well as lane rental, and fees for renting prtective eyewear and ear protection.

During the introduction, when Deviant Ollam is going over the rules, functions of RSO, what to do during cease fire, how to call them, safe use of firearms, etc. At some point he or someone will ask if anyone has any questions or announcements. Please let him and everyone know that you are new to the DC Shoot, do not have your own weapons, but would like to fire one. Be friendly, and respectful in the handling of any firearms people allow you to use. Follow the rules on handling them (like not playing with them during cease fire, and when you have one, always keep the muzzle pointed down-range, and never at people.)

Hope this helps,
        -Cot
        Last edited by TheCotMan; April 22, 2015, 18:48.

Comment

Thanks Cot

That all seems to make sense. If I drive I may bring my own firearms, if I decide to fly I probably won't. Seen as I'm coming from CA I will be the one reloading every 5 seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post

As always, some of us will be camping out there in between the Weds. afternoon and Thurs. morning sessions... anyone is welcome to be a part of that. By the way, i SERIOUSLY am in love with these items now... http://luminaid.com ...and want to set one in each tent canopy for the Weds evening hours.
            I'm up for camping this year. I already got a lane Wednesday and no hotel room, so I can't puss out on camping now. I'd be willing to do some staff-type stuff Thursday, except I don't have anyone to buy a badge for me. If someone can arrange a trustworthy badge-gopher-line-stander, I'm up for a staff/RSO vest Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post

I'm up for camping this year. I already got a lane Wednesday and no hotel room, so I can't puss out on camping now. I'd be willing to do some staff-type stuff Thursday, except I don't have anyone to buy a badge for me. If someone can arrange a trustworthy badge-gopher-line-stander, I'm up for a staff/RSO vest Thursday.
              In the interested of having plentiful staff at the shoot. I can get your badge needs met. Be sure and find me on Wednesday and we'll exchange info.

~L0G1C

Comment

Originally posted by L0g1c View Post

In the interested of having plentiful staff at the shoot. I can get your badge needs met. Be sure and find me on Wednesday and we'll exchange info.

~L0G1C

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Maybe first timers should have a different badge color or some other way to identify them. It's not a bad thing, it's finding out we have a new family member!

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                    Maybe first timers should have a different badge color or some other way to identify them.
                    "You know, the nazi's had pieces of flair for the jews"
                    --office space

I'd support a way for newbies to self identify, I don't see another way to do it beyond giving everyone an AR15 and seeing if they can field strip it or some other test. But there may not be much incentive for them to self identify, unless a discount was offered for reg. But then non-newbies would be registering as newbies hmm

Comment

I'm new to the shoot -just registered and am also willing to help (RSO, lackey, whatever). I have a few years shooting and smithing experience, so willing to help in anyway possible.

Comment

This will be my second DC. I am new to the shoot (just registered). I have some shooting experience from a few years back, but I am coming from Germany and will not have any guns with me.

Comment

Just registered, coming in from Australia. Used to shoot recreationally a while back and have done RSO but just happy to shoot and obviously happy to reimburse people for ammo costs.

Comment

I have a lane for the first iteration on Thursday. Foreigners welcome!

Comment

Working...
                            X