Shoot site cleanup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot site cleanup

I want to put forth the idea of having a Shoot Site Cleanup. A piece of public ground that I liked to shoot on was recently closed, mainly due to trash left behind by shooters. I know that we generally do a pretty good job of picking up after ourselves at the shoot, but it absolutely wouldn't kill us to pick up after some other people as well. If we can get several people who are willing to spend 1-2 hours picking up trash, I think we can make a pretty good dent in the detritus left behind by the irresponsible folks. I'm picturing this occurring either before or after either day (or both) of the shoot proper.

What we would need:
    1. Garbage bags
    2. People to fill some garbage bags
    3. Some method of hauling full garbage bags to an acceptable place to dispose of them
    4. An acceptable place to dispose of full garbage bags

I would be happy to provide garbage bags. If we can get a few people to commit to helping out I would also be happy to rent a pickup to drive out to the shoot site, so 1 and 3 would be satisfied. I'll need to do some research to find out where we could dump the trash, and get some sort of an idea on the cost of said dumping. If there are any locals that know of places I'd appreciate it if you can give me a heads up. I'm sure there are other considerations I'm missing, this isn't really a fully formed idea, just something that popped into my head today...

What do you think?

Flirzan, I agree and would 100% support this idea. I can help with 2,3, and maybe 4.

~L0G1C

Comment

Well, I think two people makes a party, so let's plan on it then. Hopefully we'll get a few more volunteers to help out. Let's start getting the details worked out.

Are you local to Vegas?

Comment

Negative..

Comment

i will be there early on Wednesday to supervise the erection of the tent canopies. when they are all put up, there will be a huge empty rental truck going back out of there. naturally, there are no guarantees, but if we were also present and clearing as much trash as possible during the set-up of the tents, i'm willing to bet that we could at least ASK the truck crew if (for $50 or more) they'd haul away all the bags and see them disposed of.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Sorry, got distracted by vacation and work. I'm going to make some calls this week and see about disposal fees. I like deviant's idea of sending some trash back with the tent truck, but I'd like to have a back-up plan in place in case they tell us to get bent.

I'm going to rent a truck to drive out to the shoot. I'll be picking up trash each day and will bring back and dispose of what I can.

Comment

I'm down to help de-shit the place a bit. Still working out the logistics of when I'll be getting out there, but prior to the shoot proper is likely.
              "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
                I'm down to help de-shit the place a bit. Still working out the logistics of when I'll be getting out there, but prior to the shoot proper is likely.
                I can likely hook you up for a ride there and back if needed.

~L0g1c

Comment

PM'd ya, brother. I'll make a note to pack some construction site cleanup bags, things are awesome for cleaning up other people's leavings in the desert, they're huge and don't tear easily. Available at any hardware store.
                  "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Alright, I've identified a likely dump site in Henderson that isn't TOO out of the way. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get some sort of idea how much it will cost to dump a truckload of stuff. Cost will determine if I'm willing to do more than one load.

Deviant, if you're paying any attention to this thread: Would you have a problem with me setting up a can in the registration tent (or elsewhere...) to collect donations to mitigate some of the cost of dumping the trash? In the unlikely event that we collected more donations than we needed I would either donate the overrun to the shoot budget, or buy everybody who helps pick up trash as many beverages as possible.

Comment

i would totally support a donation can and coordination with the dump. i love the idea of our event being a big influence on keeping the area clean.

"I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

What about using small grocery bags, they would be a little more annoying since they fill up fast but each person leaving the shoot could take one and drop it off at a gas station or fast food place on the way back.

It's a little bit of a loophole, but as long as we're not throwing away anything hazardous, it would remain a net positive.

Comment

Been swamped trying to get everything done before I leave town, but a quick update: Truck is rented, dump site located. Shoot site cleanup is a go. My current plan is to be at the shoot site by 3 o'clock on Wednesday and do some cleanup while tents are going up. It looks like I'll be giving a couple people rides to the shoot on Thursday so I won't be camping out Wednesday night. Thursday while tents are coming down I will do some more cleanup, load the trash in the truck, and head for the dump.

I will have a donation box set up to defray the cost of dumping. If there are excess donations they will be disbursed in the following order:
                          1. Deviant for any cost overruns on the shoot rentals (if he needs/wants)
                          2. A nice cold beverage of choice for anyone who helps with the cleanup (to be delivered at the con sometime)
                          3. EFF

I will not be keeping any of the donations or using them to pay for truck rental, etc., they will be solely for the dump fees. See you all in a week!

Comment

we are totally covered for the tents, tables, chairs, and probably even my rental car. we did a really great break-even this year. (this is an estimate based on current reg and probably on-site cash from some folk)

i even bought some new perks that we'll have for everyone...

* more bouncy targets to toss around downrange
                            * LuminAID lamps for the canopy spaces as the evening darkens
                            * other stuff i'm surely forgetting but which I amazon'd straight to Vegas
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

P.S. - thank you so much, Flirzan, for arranging the cleanup!!
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X