Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEAF CON 3: What we're about and how you can help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEAF CON 3: What we're about and how you can help!

Greetings!
    Once again, I am posting here to tell you about DEAF CON and how you can help us this year. This post is coming later than I originally intended, real life kind of go in the way this year.
    Our mission
    DEAF CON's purpose is to encourage many Deaf and Hard of Hearing (HH) hackers to attend DEFCON, help provide these hackers with partial or full services, and provide a place for Deaf/HH to meet up and hangout. We often get mistaken for this, but DEAF CON is not affiliated with the CART services provided in the Speaker tracks during previous cons. Those were provided by The Dark Tangent and DEFCON.
    What do we have planned for this year?
    This year, we are trying to bring five interpreters out to DEAF CON. Our interpreters are coming for various parts of the U.S. and volunteering their time. They will roam the convention floor and be available for ASL interpreting services. Our interpreters, however, will not appear on stage in the speaker track.
    How can you help?
    We are halfway to our fundraising goal. We have a month left and need a bit of help. You can spread the word about DEAF CON and encourage others to come. You can also come to the meetup and get a cool DEAF CON badge. Besides spreading the word, you can also donate money to the DEAF CON Interpreter Fund:http://www.deaf-con.com/donate/. There are multiple ways to contribute this year.
    Your contribution helps bring our interpreters to DEFCON. Our interpreters are volunteering their time to come out to Las Vegas. While they are volunteers, we still are providing reimbursement for their travel expenses. Your donation will fund the following:
    • Flight costs: Flight is the biggest expense we have this year since our interpreters are coming from various parts of the United States. Our cost this year for flight fees (plus tax) is about $2,300 Flights have already been funded!
    • Hotel costs: Hotel costs are the next big expense. The rate has gone up since DEF CON has moved venues. So costs this year for are about $4,400.

Our total budget this year is 6,700. Again, thanks to DEFCON, we do not have to worry about badges this year!
    On behalf of our team, I want thank everyone for their continued support. We are truly grateful for everyone's generosity and kindness. We are looking forward to a great DEAF CON meet-up!

Thanks again!

~arose4beni
    "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Regarding the flights, could folks donate frequesnt flyer miles? That may be easier on some folks.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
      Regarding the flights, could folks donate frequesnt flyer miles? That may be easier on some folks.
      As of right now, no. But, this is a good idea we could look into for the future. Thank you!

Comment

An Update:

For those who may not have heard, we reached our funding goal this year! We raised $6,855 this year. Thank you to everyone who donated and spread the word. We should be receiving the last of our perks soon and mailing them out. The donation drive up for the next month or so, so feel free to donate!

Thanks again for everyone's support!

Comment

great work! thanks for doing this and we love seeing the results. tweet some good stuff, as always, and we'll know the difference that DEAF CON is making in the Deaf community. :-)
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'd like to know where I can find these folks. Will there be a meeting before con starts? Are there specific locations where I can see them in action? I'd like to get photos of them working, for official Defcon use, and maybe future financing can be made easier by distribution of their stories.

Comment

in the past there was an official Deaf Hackers meetup in the chillout area. i think that was Saturday afternoon.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

following @_DEAFCON_ on Twitter for updates would likely help you zero in on that. and if i hear anything i'll ping you during the con
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

Like Deviant said, our meetup is usually in the Chillout Lounge on Saturday Afternoon. Following the twitter account will announce the final details of the meetup hopefully soon.

As for the interpreters in action, they will be working most of the time in the speaker tracks (not on stage), villages, and the contest/event area. Our twitter account should update where interpreters are throughout the con as well.

Again, sorry for the late reply. Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X