Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need to pregister for defcon presentations/talks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need to pregister for defcon presentations/talks?

I know you do not need to pre-register for defcon itself. But for the talks do you need to pre-register? By talks I mean to attend https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-2...-schedule.html events here. I hope there is enough space in each presentation room.

Originally posted by genghis View Post
    I know you do not need to pre-register for defcon itself. But for the talks do you need to pre-register? By talks I mean to attend https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-2...-schedule.html events here. I hope there is enough space in each presentation room.

First come first serve.. If it's a high demand talk people have attempted to go to the talk/talks hours before in that same room. Because of this it's common for such rooms to be completely emptied prior to allowing the people in who have been standing IN LINE for said talk for hour(s).

aka.. no preregistration for talks.

~L0g1c

Comment

Like other things, this also has a history.

As you know, there is no pre-sale of badges -- all sales of badges are done on-site. (There have been exceptions in the past with people that attend BlackHat USA/Las_Vegas being able to buy DEF CON badges and receive them on site with BlackHat, this is HISTORY, and no guarantee of future availability. At some point that may shift to a "token" redeemed at the same DEF CON Sales line as everyone else. or may not be included at all. I do not run DEF CON or BlackHat and do not set policies. i mention these as possible, so you can check each year with BlackHat people to find out what the case may be each year.)

As for talks, whether in Villages, or Speaker Tracks, or elsewhere, the history here is mixed. For "RockStar Popular Talks" what has happened is a line begins to form for access to "the next talk" while the talk preceding the popular talk is going on. This first happened at the Alexis Park, which prompted a move to the Riviera, where lines before talks were mostly eliminated, but as DEF CON grew, lines before talk became more common.

This means it is *possible* there may be lines that start before one talk ends to get into the next talk.

"Oh! But I have this secret plan! I will enter the talk before the talk I want, stake out a seat, and get ahead of the crowd! AREN'T I AWESOME!?"

Yeah. People have thought of this. It is common for goons to empty out a speaker track before allowing people in. If this happens, you secret plan is foiled and you are back in the back of the line.

We are in a new space, and have more floor-space. I am unable to predict if there will be need for pre-talk lines or not. Based on the past, I would bet the people that plan for this are likely going to be ready for it if it happens, but it is up to them to announce what will or won't be done this year.

Ideas that have worked:

If there is a talk you must see, do you have a hotel room at the Paris or Bally's? If so, there were claims that both Paris and Bally's will have in-room video of speaker tracks. The best bet for this is Paris, because as you can see, it is expected to have the speaker tracks:

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-23/dc-23-venue.html

Getting video from one hotel to the rooms in that same hotel are most likely to have the fewest technical problems.

But we were notified that Both Bally's and Paris should have video feed:

https://twitter.com/_defcon_/status/574646174461755392

And then later:

https://twitter.com/_defcon_/status/591418613673824256

@_defcon_ tweet: "Whoever was asking, yes #DEFCON TV will be in both Paris and Ballys!"

So, Bally's hotel rooms should also have access to video speaker tracks taking place in Paris.

The video to hotel room is only for the "Speaker Tracks" not the talks in villages, or if it returns, "SkyTalks". (Skytalks is on the map. I am not inferring there is a question about its return. The "if" is a conditional, not an implication.)

History of speaker track video to hotel rooms is also mixed. At the Riv, this was planned, but at the last minute, there were complications, and it did not happen, while at the Rio is was planned and *did* happen.

Reliability? Video to hotel rooms is *mostly* working. Occasionally, there have been crashes in one or more steps to video relay and there are often complaints about what should be covered in video to rooms: (slides or speakers?) Suggested solutions of P&P and a channel for each have been proposed in the past. When there have been problems, then have lately been fixed fairly quickly, like 5-20 minutes, usually less than 1 hour.)

Another option? Sign-up for the "Sound of Knowledge" (Assuming they are still doing it) and pay for DVD video of all the speaker tracks. they have historically had someone in the vendor area available to accept pre-payment for videos to be released later.

Other options suggested in the past:
      * Broadcast it on the Internet
      * Broadcast it to overflow rooms
      * Broadcast it to the Contest/Events spaces
      * Broadcast audio on FM radio frequencies

If you have other suggestions, please provide your ideas and thoughts. After you attend DEF CON, please provide feedback on ways that you think things could be done better.

Any follow-up questions or ideas? Please let us know.

HTH,
      -Cot
      Last edited by TheCotMan; July 24, 2015, 15:10.

Comment

genghis thank you for asking the question and TheCotMan , once again, thank you for the excellent response. As a Defcon n00b this year, I've been in recon mode for the last few months trying to plan the trip as much as possible. This is one of the questions that I didn't know that I had until I read it. Note to self, the previous recommendation by [I forgot who] to get a cheap cooler and stick in the hotel room should be updated by 'get multiple cheap coolers or a big cheap cooler' if there are long lines :)
        .: This post contains 100% recycled electrons :.

Comment

Originally posted by sainate View Post
          genghis thank you for asking the question and TheCotMan , once again, thank you for the excellent response. As a Defcon n00b this year, I've been in recon mode for the last few months trying to plan the trip as much as possible. This is one of the questions that I didn't know that I had until I read it. Note to self, the previous recommendation by [I forgot who] to get a cheap cooler and stick in the hotel room should be updated by 'get multiple cheap coolers or a big cheap cooler' if there are long lines :)
          Lurking to pick up on details is a good start, and a next step is interacting and asking questions. Publishing your ideas for ways to solve problems of waiting in line is even better -- geneate interest in your idea and see if others will also join you. And beyond that, interacting with others when you get there. So, what are you worried about at DEF CON or with you travels to/from DEF CON? Start up a new thread and ask.

Good luck!

Comment

Sainate, you are like most newbies -- you want information faster than if can be fed to you. These forums a decade ago would have a hundred new posts a day. I do miss those days. FB is not the same. One thing some of us do -- we print out our avatar and wear it with our handle somewhere on our person. It's a quick way to know who is who from the forums.

Comment

There are a few workshops you can register for - some via eventbrite and some via this site. Other locations during the con will have their own system (line, swag, whatever) to get a place. Sit back, plan, enjoy.
              +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Thank you all for the answers. I found the past video archive here https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-archives.html. Do they record all speakers' videos? When do they post them on the website? (a week or months after the conference).

Comment

Thank you all for the answers. I found the past video archive here https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-archives.html. Do they record all speakers' videos? When do they post them on the website? (a week or months after the conference).
                  There is a group that has professionals to do the recording, and they sell videos at con to ship to consumer's homes. After that happens, usually some times between October and December, the videos for the last DEF CON have gone online.

This does not mean the release of videos this year will be the same, or follow the same schedule -- this is how things have worked for many years.

HTH,
                  -Cot

Comment

I could be wrong, but I dont think the workshops are recorded, or the smaller gatherings, only the main stage type speakers. The skytalks, wall of sheep and workshops are not recorded that I am aware of.
                    +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Working...
                    X