**OFFICIAL** DefCon23 Party - Drone Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **OFFICIAL** DefCon23 Party - Drone Club

Friday - 07 August - 7 pm to whenever the hotel kicks us out, or we run out of drones!

Come participate in head to head quadcopter drone battles between two identically sized UAV drones inside of a protective arena where drones attack each other until one is no longer viable.

Competition will initially be based upon a draw lottery, first 10 contestants at the door upon start of the party will have names drawn from a hat, then as those draw down, a list will be maintained and participants called one at a time.

Sequioa Holdings, Inc. will supply the first 20 drones (Hubsan X4) for the competitions and volunteers to restore any downed drone to keep them viable for the next round of contestants (i.e. soldering, motor swaps, or other repairs) will be rewarded handsomely (but in accordance with DefCon and Nevada laws).

Bonus points will be awarded to spectacular or creative strikes (i.e. a kill while flipping, full on kamikaze dives, or dramatic kinetic strikes ending in melted plastic carnage)!!

Participants can bring their own Blade NanoQX or Hubsan X4, or similar size quadcopter (no models over 50 grams will be allowed), and challenge others that bring their own drone.

Each drone may not have any modifications to the frame (other than removing structural or other parts that would otherwise protect the drone from damage). Mods to the propellers will not be allowed (i.e. no razor blades) - management will have hacksaws, tinsnips and blowtorches to "legalize" drones if necessary.

Software mods to the main board are encouraged, but any physical alterations (i.e. adding spikes, blades or other menacing appendages) is not allowed.

Batteries must be the same physical size as the original – no piggyback batteries, no projectiles, flails, maces or any other medieval mod that would otherwise give a physical advantage in the fight.

No attacking the opponent’s body (ala Enrique Iglesias) during a battle, even through the safety netting.

Managers of the space have absolute authority to reject any drone entry, either by physical appearance or by additional weight.

There will be a cash bar from 7 pm until midnight.

There are rules for Drone Club:
    1st rule: You must tell everyone about Drone Club
    2nd rule: You MUST tell everyone about Drone Club
    3rd rule: If a drone gets caught in the net, or can't continue, the fight is over (if both drones go down, first to get theirs back airborne wins)
    4th rule: Two drones go in the arena - One drone comes out
    5th rule: Drones must weigh under 50 grams (without the battery, camera, etc.)
    6th rule: Fights will continue until one drone is no longer viable - see rule 3
    7th rule: Even if you are a seasoned drone pilot, everyone must perform a check flight
    8th rule: Everyone must sign a liability waiver - safety glasses available

@DroneWarzClub
    Last edited by nosapoh; August 3, 2015, 11:05.

Originally posted by nosapoh View Post
    Friday - 07 August - 7 pm to whenever the hotel kicks us out, or we run out of drones!

Come participate in head to head quadcopter drone battles between two identically sized UAV drones inside of a protective arena where drones attack each other until one is no longer viable.

Competition will initially be based upon a draw lottery, first 10 contestants at the door upon start of the party will have names drawn from a hat, then as those draw down, a list will be maintained and participants called one at a time.

Sequioa Holdings, Inc. will supply the first 20 drones (Hubsan X4) for the competitions and volunteers to restore any downed drone to keep them viable for the next round of contestants (i.e. soldering, motor swaps, or other repairs) will be rewarded handsomely (but in accordance with DefCon and Nevada laws).

Bonus points will be awarded to spectacular or creative strikes (i.e. a kill while flipping, full on kamikaze dives, or dramatic kinetic strikes ending in melted plastic carnage)!!

Participants can bring their own Blade NanoQX or Hubsan X4, or similar size quadcopter (no models over 50 grams will be allowed), and challenge others that bring their own drone.

Each drone may not have any modifications to the frame (other than removing structural or other parts that would otherwise protect the drone from damage). Mods to the propellers will not be allowed (i.e. no razor blades) - management will have hacksaws, tinsnips and blowtorches to "legalize" drones if necessary.

Software mods to the main board are encouraged, but any physical alterations (i.e. adding spikes, blades or other menacing appendages) is not allowed.

Batteries must be the same physical size as the original – no piggyback batteries, no projectiles, flails, maces or any other medieval mod that would otherwise give a physical advantage in the fight.

No attacking the opponent’s body (ala Enrique Iglesias) during a battle, even through the safety netting.

Managers of the space have absolute authority to reject any drone entry, either by physical appearance or by additional weight.

There will be a cash bar from 7 pm until midnight.

There are rules for Drone Club:
    1st rule: You must tell everyone about Drone Club
    2nd rule: You MUST tell everyone about Drone Club
    3rd rule: If a drone gets caught in the net, or can't continue, the fight is over (if both drones go down, first to get theirs back airborne wins)
    4th rule: Two drones go in the arena - One drone comes out
    5th rule: Drones must weigh under 50 grams (without the battery, camera, etc.)
    6th rule: Fights will continue until one drone is no longer viable - see rule 3
    7th rule: Even if you are a seasoned drone pilot, everyone must perform a check flight
    8th rule: Everyone must sign a liability waiver - safety glasses available

@DroneWarzClub
    Quoted your post with the BB color-coding stripped out so it can be read on dark and light themes.

Comment

Errr, i might of missed this but......i can see the what and when.....but.....Where? :)

Comment

Originally posted by dook View Post
        Errr, i might of missed this but......i can see the what and when.....but.....Where? :)

Just spotted it on DefCon announcement for nightime entertainment.

Las Vegas Ballroom (Where workshops are: Bally’s South Tower - 3rd Floor)
        Las Vegas 4-5: Aerial Drone Warz

Comment

Thanks dook, yeah we didn't know where until last night...will be tweeting that later from @DroneWarzClub

Comment

Working...
          X