Hacking Motivations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking Motivations

What do you think differentiates someone as a hacktivist?
    In what contexts (if any) do you think it would be ok for someone to conduct a hack that breaks the law?

Originally posted by frettaces View Post
    What do you think differentiates someone as a hacktivist?
    In what contexts (if any) do you think it would be ok for someone to conduct a hack that breaks the law?
    Regardless of any laws, I'd bet the primary motivation to hacking is learning and experimenting. Motivations from those that use discovered exploits from hacking research are as diverse as people's morality and ethics. What do you think?

Comment

I think the definition of a "Hacktivist" would be anyone who hacks in some capacity and is driven by the belief that they are acting altruistically. I believe that it would be okay for someone to break the law to hack in a single circumstance: They would need to recognize that what they are doing is illegal, understand the consequences, and still believe they are doing something good and worth any possible penalty for doing so.
      Last edited by Vos; December 10, 2015, 16:17.

Comment

Slavery. Genocide. Child labor. Etc. These were all legal at one time. When Gandhi stood his ground, or when Rosa Parks made her choice. These were illegal acts. But were they wrong? In definition, they were criminals. Wouldn't you say at one time or another we need those brave individuals that will push the envelope for the advancement of society? Hacktivist = someone who has decided that there is injustice, and is making their move.

Comment

frettaces, I thought that a "hacktivist" is someone who is against hackers?

Comment

Working...
          X