Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cryptanalysis Coding Contest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cryptanalysis Coding Contest

    I run a crytanalysis coding challenge site (https://id0-rsa.pub), and if there's any interest I'd like to host a competition at this upcoming DEFCON 24.

    The format I have in mind would be a set of maybe 4 or 5 cryptanalysis coding problems (similar to those on the site) which should each take about 15-20 minutes to solve. We'd get all the participants together at some specific time (probably sometime relatively early in the day so they could go to talks afterward), and have them all start together. Contestants will be scored based on how quickly they submit correct answers to problems. We'll provide t-shirts for all participants and the winner will receive a high-five (or maybe something better, haven't really thought about it yet). We don't need to use the stage or anything fancy, just a couple of tables and a power strip should be enough.

    I got this idea after competing in crash and compile (competed twice and won once). It's a fun competition but I'd really like to start a coding competition at DEFCON in which the problems are on the topic of cryptography and security.

    The details of hosting the competition are pretty flexible at this point, I'd just like to see if there is any interest. I've sent an e-mail to pyr0 as specified in the sticky thread but haven't heard anything back yet (might still be early).

  • #2
    Originally posted by id0-rsa.pub View Post
    I run a crytanalysis coding challenge site (https://id0-rsa.pub), and if there's any interest I'd like to host a competition at this upcoming DEFCON 24.

    The format I have in mind would be a set of maybe 4 or 5 cryptanalysis coding problems (similar to those on the site) which should each take about 15-20 minutes to solve. We'd get all the participants together at some specific time (probably sometime relatively early in the day so they could go to talks afterward), and have them all start together. Contestants will be scored based on how quickly they submit correct answers to problems. We'll provide t-shirts for all participants and the winner will receive a high-five (or maybe something better, haven't really thought about it yet). We don't need to use the stage or anything fancy, just a couple of tables and a power strip should be enough.

    I got this idea after competing in crash and compile (competed twice and won once). It's a fun competition but I'd really like to start a coding competition at DEFCON in which the problems are on the topic of cryptography and security.

    The details of hosting the competition are pretty flexible at this point, I'd just like to see if there is any interest. I've sent an e-mail to pyr0 as specified in the sticky thread but haven't heard anything back yet (might still be early).
    The normal method to run a contest/event under DEF CON Contests/Events is to fill out the information required in their "RFI" before the deadline.

    The main website for submitting your info and request to run a contest or event is here and claims a deadline of last month, March 15, 2016:
    https://defcon.org/html/defcon-24/dc-24-cev.html

    However, an updated note on this stated this was extended to April 1, 2016:
    https://www.defcon.org/index.html#dc24cevrfiext

    If you have an interest in running such a contest, the deadline appears to have passed to submitting your request, but you could still try to submit it anyway, and consider bribery, as that technique that worked in the past may still work today.

    [I am not part of the DEF CON Department that handles Contests/Events so do not write for them, nor do I represent them. No answer I provide are authoritative for DEF CON Contests & Events.]

    If the deadline has come and gone, and after you ask them, you find out you can't get space in the contest are, consider contacting the people that run the Crypto & Privacy Village to see if they would be willing to have a talk on your contest, and give you space or resources in their space for people to compete:
    Forum For "Crypto & Privacy village, presently without any threads/posts:
    * https://forum.defcon.org/forum/defco...acy-village-ab
    Twitter feed for this same group that is more active:
    * https://twitter.com/cryptovillage
    Website that have used for updates:
    * https://cryptovillage.org/

    Good luck, and HTH,
    -Cot
    TheCotMan
    *****Retired *****
    Last edited by TheCotMan; April 20, 2016, 17:25. Reason: Wrong URL for their website and typo of asterisk instead of amerstand for name.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post

      The normal method to run a contest/event under DEF CON Contests/Events is to fill out the information required in their "RFI" before the deadline.

      The main website for submitting your info and request to run a contest or event is here and claims a deadline of last month, Marh 15, 2016:
      https://defcon.org/html/defcon-24/dc-24-cev.html

      However, an updated note on this stated this was extended to April 1, 2016:
      https://www.defcon.org/index.html#dc24cevrfiext

      If you have an interest in running such a contest, the deadline appears to have passed to submitting your request, but you could still try to submit it anyway, and consider bribery, as that technique that worked in the past may still work today.

      [I am not part of the DEF CON Department that handles Contests/Events so do not write for them, nor do I represent them. No answer I provide are authoritative for DEF CON Contests & Events.]

      If the deadline has come and gone, and after you ask them, you find out you can't get space in the contest are, consider contacting the people that run the Crypto & Privacy Village to see if they would be willing to have a talk on your contest, and give you space or resources in their space for people to compete:
      Forum For "Crypto * Privacy village, presently without any threads/posts:
      * https://forum.defcon.org/forum/defco...acy-village-ab
      Twitter feed for this same group that is more active:
      * https://twitter.com/cryptovillage
      Website that have used for updates:
      * https://twitter.com/cryptovillage

      Good luck, and HTH,
      -Cot
      Thanks so much for this info! I'm really disappointed that the sticky in this forum is so terribly misleading :/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by id0-rsa.pub View Post

        Thanks so much for this info! I'm really disappointed that the sticky in this forum is so terribly misleading :/
        Wow! That sticky was REALLY old! From DEF CON 19, when someone else was running them.

        Sorry about that. The DC19 C&E sticky has been unstuck in the "New Ideas" forum. Thanks for the report!
        -Cot

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by id0-rsa.pub View Post
          I run a crytanalysis coding challenge site (https://id0-rsa.pub), and if there's any interest I'd like to host a competition at this upcoming DEFCON 24.

          The format I have in mind would be a set of maybe 4 or 5 cryptanalysis coding problems (similar to those on the site) which should each take about 15-20 minutes to solve. We'd get all the participants together at some specific time (probably sometime relatively early in the day so they could go to talks afterward), and have them all start together. Contestants will be scored based on how quickly they submit correct answers to problems. We'll provide t-shirts for all participants and the winner will receive a high-five (or maybe something better, haven't really thought about it yet). We don't need to use the stage or anything fancy, just a couple of tables and a power strip should be enough.

          I got this idea after competing in crash and compile (competed twice and won once). It's a fun competition but I'd really like to start a coding competition at DEFCON in which the problems are on the topic of cryptography and security.

          The details of hosting the competition are pretty flexible at this point, I'd just like to see if there is any interest. I've sent an e-mail to pyr0 as specified in the sticky thread but haven't heard anything back yet (might still be early).
          Hi. I'm one of the organizers for the Crypto & Privacy Village. We'd be happy to host. Shoot us an email CryptoVillage at Gmail and we can discuss how we can collaborate on this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PTzero View Post
            Hi. I'm one of the organizers for the Crypto & Privacy Village. We'd be happy to host. Shoot us an email CryptoVillage at Gmail and we can discuss how we can collaborate on this.
            e-mail is on it's way, thanks PTzero!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks PTzero !

              id0-rsa.pub you may also want to talk with https://twitter.com/bascule if he is willing; he hosted a cyrpto coding contest before at DEF CON with the Crypto & Privacy Village.

              His tweet: https://twitter.com/bascule/status/722882018044809216
              His account on the forums: bascule



              -Cot

              Comment

              Working...
              X