Return of the Timed Lock Picking Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the Timed Lock Picking Competition

Many, many years ago there used to be a competition focused on picking locks in heats, with multiple players all tackling mounted locks which were connected to an electronic timing system, etc.

That was built by (correct me if I'm wrong) the DC719 crew... Doc, Kaigoth, etc. It was a big hit back around DEF CON 10, 11, 12... the best of the Alexis Park years. Then it went away.

TOOOL (in conjunction with the FOOLS and with big support from DEF CON proper) has had this contest rebuilt and it's bigger and better than ever. It had a test run at the "Hacked by DEF CON" installation at the TriBeCa festival in NYC this summer, and will be with us in Las Vegas for DEF CON this summer.

So come by, try your hand, get on the leader board, and see who's the fastest! :-D
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

i'd like to add more detail to this in the schedule in the def con android app. :) will it be open thurs-sun or will it only be on specific days? available all day?

Comment

well, unless i'm wrong, NOTHING is open on Thursday (not any of the Villages nor the Vendor area, etc)

as for the Lockpick Village where the timed competition will be: that will most likely just run on Saturday (let's say it starts at Noon and runs until 17:00 most likely) and then there may be some finalists rounds on Sunday, TBD.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

thank you! :)

Comment

Cool. Looking forward to seeing some of the old competitors back in action. Last year was my first time back in about a decade. The room obstacle course you had going was very creative (and funny as hell to watch).

Comment

Working...
          X