Defcon Shoot Badge (non-electronic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon Shoot Badge (non-electronic)

Last year I did an electronic badge which was honestly way too much work to basically do solo, so I'm taking the easy way out and doing a non electronic badge this year.
    Just like last year, this project is just some random guy putting this together, and this badge provides no access to the shoot, it is only for vanity. Meaning you still have to register for any shoot credentials (lanes / registration) through deviant.

How To Get A Badge
    I'll be at the shoot both days, or find me at the con. At the shoot hopefully deviant will hook me up with a table at the registration tent again.
    To find out where I am at the con, ask me on twitter @see_ess

How Much Are They?
    Each badge is $10. See below for the cost sheet, I already fronted all the money, I'm just trying to break even on this.
    I have 100 total badges, hopefully I sell them all to break even.

What Do They Look Like?
    • 40mm m781 chalk round
    • Single ended 1" thick lanyard w/ adjustment slider (to shorten it above other badges on your neck)
    • O-ring to attach lanyard (and an extra if you break one)
    • 60 different inappropriate medical stickers (10 stickers of 6 different varieties)
    • Toilet paper roll with label to use as “original packaging” when traveling by air
    • Spray paint to add some flair (I will purchase some in vegas with the spare money)

Here's a picture, with last year's black lanyard shown for reference

Here are the cheap stickers I ordered too, everyone will get 10 stickers of each variety

How Do I Get This Home?
    This will be a little tricky, and depends on the airline.
    • First you'll need to check it in and declare it with your firearms.
      • Not checking a firearm? You might be out of luck. Your only hope may be to remove the primer / powder which will make it inert. However the TSA does not allow replica firearms. If you pull the projectile and separate the pieces you may be able to get it through since each piece looks pretty generic (I suggest checking the metal part of the projectile, see the inert pictures below).
    • Most airlines require ammunition to be in "original manufacturer's packaging". 40mm rounds fit perfectly in toilet paper and paper towel rolls and are often shipped using that method. I’ve been saving some toilet paper rolls, but I recommend you bring your own or take one from your hotel room. I’ll have a label to make it look slightly more official.
    • Technically the TSA doesn't allow ammunition over 0.75" in any bag. I doubt many counter clerks, or even TSA know this, so you may be able to get it through with the rest of your guns. I will probably ship mine back to guarantee it makes it.

Making It Inert
    You can somewhat easily make this round inert which should help you in transporting this back home, and you might get hassled less at the hotel.
    I cover the process in these pictures

Cost
    I'm selling these at cost and not attempting to make any money on this (just like last year). I fronted all of the money it hopes just to make something cool and hopefully break even if I sell all of the badges.
    Here's the cost sheet, if anyone wants to call into question any figures I can provide deviant the unedited invoices for verification
    Item Quantity Price
    40mm 100 4
    40mm shipping + CC fees 1 61.45
    O-rings 200 0.204
    Lanyards 100 2.50
    Lanyard setup 1 40
    Lanyard shipping 1 33
    Toilet paper rolls ~25 Free
    Inappropriate stickers (w/ shipping) 6000 0.0072
    Vice grips 2 10
    Total 888.45
    Spray Paint (TBD) ~15? ~7?

I have everything except the spraypaint, I'll spend the remaining $111 on as many different colors as I can once I'm in vegas. Maybe I'll bring some thick paper and an x-acto knife so people can make stencils to spray on

I Have A Question About Last Year’s Shoot Badge
    Feel free to ask here. I’ll have extra lanyards, microphones (if yours broke off), probably a battery pack or two, and maybe even batteries.
    If you have a shoot badge from last year and no longer want it, please bring it and I’ll buy a few back at the price you paid for it. Or others may want one also if you’re done with it. I literally only have 1 of each variety, and the one I have is re-worked.

Cool work Seeess! I'll get the questions/orders started.

Are these live and capable of being shot? Sign me up for 2 if the answer is no and 5 if the answer is yes :)

Thanks
    ~L0g1c

Comment

Originally posted by L0g1c View Post
      Are these live and capable of being shot? Sign me up for 2 if the answer is no and 5 if the answer is yes :)
      Yes these are live. I found a good deal on them for $4/each where normally they are ~$6/each per 100. Currently the only one I can find on gunbroker is this one. But then you'd have to pay shipping, making the total close to $10/round anyway. This way you pay $10 and get the lanyard and all the other little things that go with it for free basically

But they are also easy to make inert by hand, I posted some pictures of that process above which may help people flying without checking guns bring it back.

Just like last year these will be first come first serve. Unless you have a way to get money to me ahead of time like bitcoin. I don't want to take reservations on a promise to pay me, because some people may not show up, then I'd be stuck with a few that never sell. (I only break even if all of them sell). Since I'll be there both days I might do something like sell 50 a day for fairness. <<Edit: I'll sell these first come first serve as fast as possible after thinking about this more, and after hearing deviant's suggestion>>
      Last edited by seeess; July 11, 2016, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
        Since I'll be there both days I might do something like sell 50 a day for fairness.
        that's temping Murphy's Law pretty hard. wait for it... you sell 50 immediately on Wednesday and put the rest away, amid howls and pleas, only to have park rangers or some burea of land management functionary show up early on Thursday and shut the whole Shoot down... leaving you stuck with the other 50 and nothing to do with them but shove them up that bureaucrat's ass.

trust me, i'd say go for it as fast and furious as you can. folk can thus be rewarded for making it to the Shoot on day one, when it starts. =D

and that's consistent with DEF CON tradition of "cool badges go to those who show up soonest!" i can't wait to get a few.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

>> and that's consistent with DEF CON tradition of "cool badges go to those who show up soonest!" i can't wait to get a few.

Yeah, and those of us with a car load of machine guns who need to get to the shoot Thursday morning miss out on the cool badges :-(

Seeess, put me down for two, or come over to my tent and fire a few mags through something :-)

Weinie

Comment

Put me down for one! Should be challenge not only to get it onto the aircraft stateside, but also explaining it UK side if i get stopped :)

Can you make an inert one for me? I would do it myself but something something British and guns something something 4th July something.....

Comment

i'm betting the best plan might be to have an impromptu "make things inert" workshop at the end of the 2nd Wednesday session. we are going to have more tables this year, including one large round table just for servicing and cleaning guns. that table might do well for this.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Weinie View Post
                Yeah, and those of us with a car load of machine guns who need to get to the shoot Thursday morning miss out on the cool badges :-(

Seeess, put me down for two, or come over to my tent and fire a few mags through something :-)
                i'd strongly support Weinie getting two of these and will do whatever i can to see that happen, including pre-paying seeess in advance to set two aside.

- Trent Reznor

Comment

I've made an exception for weinie because he's been at the shoot longer than me, I know where to find him, and he's brought out the coolest things I've ever shot at any shoot (and at very reasonable prices). Basically even if he doesn't show up for some unheard of reason, I'm happy to eat the price of two badges for him.

Zorlac, I can make any rounds inert for those that want that. I'll provide instructions and tools to do this. But I think i'll only have two sets of tools. It takes maybe 5 minutes to make one inert the first time, but maybe 2 minutes if you've done it before.

Deviant, I like you're suggestion. If I save some until thrs, I'd piss off people on wednesday that were there with cash in hand. If I don't save any and people on thrs will be upset. Considering I can't win, and there's a chance of me not selling all of them, I'll sell them first come first serve
                  Last edited by seeess; July 11, 2016, 14:29.

Comment

wow.

nice work. put me down for one if you're taking names. i'll be out wednesday either way :)

-darkwind

Comment

Nice work, these are awesome! My girlfriend and I are flying into Vegas early and will stop by on Wednesday to buy them. See you there! :)

~C0rb1n

Comment

I will take one please. I'll be the fat guy with the Range Safety Officer hat.

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
                          Unless you have a way to get money to me ahead of time like bitcoin.
                          I'll take three. give me an address to send to.

Comment

I'm down for a couple. I'd also be interested in inerting mine, since I'll be travelling.

Comment

Put me down for one, maybe more, but one for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X