Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the new "Campout" option is proving popular... and won't be open forever. ;-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new "Campout" option is proving popular... and won't be open forever. ;-)

I have to say, it's looking quite cool to me that the "campout" option is rather popular for the Shoot this year.

over a dozen people have already signed up using the conventional Shooter registration system and asked for the campout option. and they'll be in addition to the usual staff who hang out there after-hours. so we're looking to have a pretty awesome group overnight, i think!

i have arranged on some new tables this year, including some larger round ones. the plan will be for a very nice group dinner with anyone who is in attendance. i look forward to seeing how it goes. :-)

so, if you were hesitant to join the "campout" fun because you didn't want to be alone out there, i would encourage you to reconsider. also, this option won't be around forever...

in order to ensure that all of the air mattresses that folk are expecting will arrive in Nevada on time, I'm going to order them from Amazon the weekend of the 9th/10th (probably on Sunday the 10th, just before i leave for ShakaCon) so that there's no risk of them failing to be present on time, etc.

that means I'll be disabling the "campout" option in the DEFCON Shoot registration system then. (truth be told, i may be disabling all pre-reg at that time, unless we're still trying to fill a couple loose lane spots)

so, if you're still on the fence, the next two weeks (this week and the coming week) are the time to register!

see you all out at the Shoot!
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

I am planning on camping and have many questions.

I suspect I can go 24 hours without food and still live, but I would rather not. Additionally, I would like to live a life of luxury and eat cooked food. Should I plan to bring a camp stove and deal with obtaining and then disposing of fuel? A charcoal fire with foil bag meal is always easy. Are there fire pits in the area? Is it okay to build a fire in the Nevada desert? (Do these apply http://forestry.nv.gov/fire-program/...-restrictions/ ?)

Also, I have badge anxiety. I always worry that I'll end up with a paper badge. I think having a defcon badge secure would help me more enjoy Thursday morning. So do people normally have someone pick up a badge for them? Are there any badge purchase pools I could join or should I plan my own means?

And on a note unrelated to camping, but related to shelter, does anybody have any advice on having firearms on the Las Vegas strip? Are there any rules or laws which cause issue with the hotels? Do you usually leave the firearms locked in hard cases in your room? Do the hotels have secure areas where they can store locked hard cases? What is preferable, easy, and least likely to end in theft?

Comment

Originally posted by TuringCompete View Post
      does anybody have any advice on having firearms on the Las Vegas strip? Are there any rules or laws which cause issue with the hotels? Do you usually leave the firearms locked in hard cases in your room? Do the hotels have secure areas where they can store locked hard cases? What is preferable, easy, and least likely to end in theft?
      I check them in with hotel security, others keep them on the down-low and store them in their room. You can read this thread from last year for different opinions:

Comment

Working...
      X