This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovell Canyon closed?

A Nevada based firearm forums is reporting that Lovell Canyon is closed to shooting due to fire danger.

Can anyone confirm?

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Never mind.
    It's legit. Found it on the US Forestry Service Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest website

Date(s): Jul 20, 2016 - Sep 30, 2016
    DISCHARGING FIREARMS RESTRICTION
    The purpose of this order is to protect public health, well being and safety. The fire conditions in the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area are at an extreme level. This is evidenced by a recent firearms discharge related fires and nine lightning related fires in this vicinity in a three day period.
    Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.58(m) the following acts are prohibited in the area described in this order, located within the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.
    1.Discharging a firearm. [36 CFR 261.58(m)]

Order Number: 04-17-16-10
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

So....... anybody got airguns?

On a serious note, though - I'll help in any way I can to make this still happen. I'm not local, so I don't know what other range options there are for the size and type of group that we are. I can adjust my flight out to LV and come Monday/Tuesday and help prep a site if that's what's needed.
      Last edited by Modafinil; July 23, 2016, 10:51.

Comment

Sounds like the best option would be to apply for a permit, explaining how we have ~100 people, range safety officers, and see what is required to get a permit. Maybe if every 4th person brought a fire extinguisher or something we'd be allowed? Maybe there's a way to rent a water truck for an extra $X/person?

It also looks like we're on the edge of the restricted zone, are there other canyons we can shoot at to the west (up 545)?

Comment

This is serious shit. Perhaps we should call the public relations people first? Should Deviant call as the organizer, or one of us locals (who pay county and state taxes)?

Deviant, let us know what you want us to do.

Weinie

PS
          In the future, it would not be a bad idea to apply for a permit, just in case, eh?

Comment

Reached out to a couple local friends, and one suggested "Jean Lake". Never been there. Is that the salt lake bed where 95 bottoms out on the way to AZ (just after the entrance to the Pro Gun Club)?

Comment

This is where we shoot for Shot Show, pretty large place. Any locals able to make contact in case a permit isn't able to be issued?
              http://www.shotshowrangeday.com/the-range/directions

Comment

so, here is the latest from me (sorry for lag... just finished HOPE the other day, g/f and i went to see my parents in NJ and see George Thorogood last night, now flying back to Montana to pack gear for 8 or 9 hours then immediately head to Vegas.)

1. yes, this is real. yes, i've heard of it.

2. i'm hoping that we can still use our established spot. we know it, we like it, it works well.

3. two possible ways of using our spot...
                A. we get a permit
                B. it rains or something and the whole fire watch is lifted

4. scenarios for the above happening...
                A. seeess and Vern are looking into this permit. i think there could be a chance given that (a) we're an established event (b) we have solid safety protocols, including fire suppression and RSOs, etc (c) we always leave the land better off than we found it
                B. there's like a 30% chance of rain showers on the 2nd or something, i believe.

so where do we go from here? well, the following is what i can assure folk:

1. i want to still shoot /somewhere/ so let this thread serve as the "ideas WITH INFORMATION" thread. please don't just post about a range you once heard someone say is nice. post about that range and IN THE SAME POST mention how you have already called them, asked about whether they're open, asked about a big group rate, etc. i will gladly follow-up

2. all your money is safe. if we aren't out in the desert with our usual canopies and tables and such, i will refund anyone who wants a refund. now, frankly, i do not know how badly i'm going to eat it if i have to cancel our stuff at this late date, and some costs are already blown in logistic and supply prep, but anyone who wants a full refund will absolutely be given one. hands-down.

3. the only real "question marks" on the refund will be the campout sleeping bags. i think i can Amazon them back unless they weren't Prime. i think they were. i'll check.

again... this is all happenning very fast and i'll be in the air basically all of today, tomorrow, etc. but i'll be checking the forums as much as possible and also jus sending out a mass email to all of the registered people as soon as i can.

thank you all for being a part of the Shoot, year after year.

- dev

"I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Yes I want to shoot, and if we have a choice between coming up with more money to make our current/new site compliant (buying fire extinguishers, importing water, whatever), and cancelling, I'll put up more money so we can make it happen.

Comment

I was really hoping to go out in the desert. I'll be happy to chip in some extra money if it can allow us to shoot in the desert. Keep things updated.

Comment

I got a reply from Boulder Rifle and Pistol Club.

Matt-thank you for your interest in the BoulderRifle and PistolClubRange.
                      We do not have group rates and I am sorry to tell you
                      that your request cannot be granted.
                      The number of participants constitutes a huge "range usage" reversal,
                      imposing a hardship for our members.
                      Thanks again for your interest.
                      Gino Guarna-BoDRs and RangeMaster.

A big thanks to Deviant and all the RSO's / volunteers who work hard each year to make this amazing event come together.

Comment

ok, so BRPC is out. i had also tried to reach them but they seemed to never be open, etc

any other locals have suggestions?

i just spoke with Eric at Shoot Las Vegas who is located just south of Boulder City and that might be an option! they have their own land, no restrictions due to fire warnings, etc.

the principal details...

1. they have nice climate controlled areas but also wide open spaces, berms, etc.

2. we could keep our existing rental for canopies, tables, etc. and just set up out there (they think, they're checking)

3. there is a fee of $20 for each person, and this would be an additional cost. that's as low as we could go (if people are bringing their own guns, etc)

4. they also have gun rental packages, too, so that's another option for folk.

5. they sometimes cater to "tourist" shooters so they're no strangers to NFA hardware and that's allowed (if folk have their paperwork in order)

6. no camping, sadly.

i'm going to follow up with Eric some more via email and see what's feasible. we might still salvage this and even be a bit closer to Las Vegas (but warmer, since we wouldn't be up in the mountains)
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

NOTE - please be aware that, unless i say otherwise, this thread on the forums will be the end-all, be-all source of authority for news and updates. i will try to do a mass email to all registered participants tonight. i have updated my web site now and will continue to try to do so later.

but, as of right now, if it is posted by me here on the forums it is gospel. if it's not, it's still not confirmed yet.
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

OK, latest update: please consider the DEF CON Shoot to still be a 90% or greater likelihood.

the chances of us being at our customary site this year, however, are probably 5% or lower. we are looking into a few other good options right now so sit tight. i'm going to mass-email everyone who registered (hopefully this evening) and we'll decide on a final plan (hopefully tomorrow evening) since i've now arrived in Vegas. thank fucking god i get here so early for Black Hat trainings.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

it's now looking like a site north of the city may be our best option. less cost, they have covered lanes, they're very friendly, and they might even let us camp out!

i will spend tomorrow figuring things out.

all of this last-minute blah blah is going to hit the budget (Uber rides up and back 30 minutes North, etc) hence why i hope to still retain and use /some/ of the funds that were paid in... but it's looking like, no matter what, i will be able to refund plenty of real dollars back to people.

i will know more tomorrow midday, i hope.

- dev
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X