Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caesers Palace Rooms - what are they like? Advice requested!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caesers Palace Rooms - what are they like? Advice requested!

Its been forever since I have stayed at the Palace--

-Is a fridge a standard item in a room or do we need to order one ahead of time?

-I have been warned not to touch, breathe on, go anywhere near the mini bars there because you'll get charged for touching any of their items even if you are, in fact, Indiana Jones.

-I've been told to bring your own Keurig cups if you like coffee.

-Don't forget they charge for parking now. NV locals get 24 hrs free with an ID.

Anything else ? Throw it in here! Please let us know details!

Miss J

======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!

The only question I've come up with so far is . . .
    Is there a free shuttle to Caesers from the airport? I usually just pay for the Gray Line bus round-trip.
    Are we finally at a RItzy enough of a place to get <--> airport free? :)

Comment

I think DC is still SOL with a shuttle. There's Taxi which i think is like $24ish, Uber, Lyft (not sure how much they are)--- and the shuttles that are right outside of the baggage terminal for about $7. (They take a bit, but you get to see the strip, so its kinda a 6 of 1 half dzn of the other on the $ you save.) Unless, of course you have the Onyx (or whatever it is!) players card, then maybe they'll send someone for you! (In that case, I want to ride, too.)
      DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Checking online reviews, I stumbled across several things about Caesar's Palace hotel rooms:
        * For you non-Americas, most hotels consider ground level level "1" or "G" to avoid the number "0" because whole number math is hard for Americans. They also use other labels like "L1" ir "LL1" and "L2" or "LL2" for Lower Level 1 and Lower Level 2, not integers with negative values below ground level which would be "0" but isn't, because, well, you know, math and Americans : they do not add up.
        * Many hotels skip the number 13 for floor/level, so they go from 12 to 14, making 14th floor the 13th floor. (If 13 is bad luck, and 14th floor is really the 13th floor, then we better skip 14 too because the 14th floor is really the 13th floor, so it must also be bad luck. Wait, if we do that, then the 15th floor is really the 13th floor, so the 15th floor is bad luck and we better skip 15 too, because it must also be bad luck. Wait, if we do that, then the 16th floor is really the 13th floor, and then the 16th floor is back luck...)
        * Making things even more complicated, they sometimes assign room number per tower in such a way to avoid collision in room number to tower assignment. In a single tower hotel, room 286 is probably on the second floor (one floor above ground level), and 386 is on the 3rd floor (two floors above ground level), and 486 is on the 4th floor (three floors above ground level.) If a property has 5 towers, they may assign room number 200-9XX for floors 2-9 to the first tower, but then the next tower has 20 stories, so its room number are 1000 through 29XX and then the next tower starts with 3000 through ... : your room number probably won't tell you what floor level you are on in most multi-tower hotels in Las Vegas. It also then becomes an informal checksum for room charge validation; if someone claims to be in a room that does not exist for the tower they claim, then more checking is needed.) This can mean just knowing a room number may be enough to know which tower and which room.
        * A photo ID will be needed by the hotel primarily for the person with the reservation, and secondarily for each registered guest/adult.
        * Like other hotels in Las Vegas, whether you have 1 or 2 people, the cost of the room is the often same, but add a third or fourth person, and costs increase, sometimes per person. (Some people have managed to book a room for 2 with 2 beds, and sneak in other people, but hotels have grown wise to this and limit the towels, and supplies provides. One year (DEF CON 6?) when security was called to a hotel room (for a totally different reason) first question security was asking about how many people were registered to the room and how many were staying in the room, probably looking for a quick and legal reason to throw the people out and not refund them, or threaten them with this if they did not obey.) I have not seen anything like that at other DEF CON since, but with more DEF CON stuff to do at night, there is little interest in "hallwaycon" where you meet up with people on your floor, socialize and then go to hotel rooms. Also, I do not see people hanging signs from their hotel room door inviting people from DEF CON to come in and hang out like the early days.)
        * Caeasar's Palace has many kinds of rooms, mostly separated by towers, and secondarily separated by floors.
        * Some rooms are nicer than others, even at the same cost
        * The worst online reviews of tower/rooms are found in "Julius Tower" which was formerly called "Roman Tower" : search for reviews of either name, and you find unpopular comments. When there is a deal for a really cheap room at Caesar's Palace or Promo event, with prices that are quite a bit lower than what Caesar's Palace Hotel usually charges, it is probably in this tower. It has been through many renovations, and generally speaking, after each renovation, there is an improvement in review of room quality, there is also an increase in price. Many of the cheapest rooms in this tower are tiny in comparison to other rooms at the same price.
        * The Palace Tower appears to be closest to the convention space and parking garage, but sharing elevators with both means greater contention for elevator service, and probably means more waiting for an elevator to get to and from your room. Increased used probably increases risk for "out of order" problems and further bottle-neck of resources in moving people.
        * Laurel Collection Tower (Formerly Augustus Tower) is claimed to have a private elevator bank and had okay reviews on average
        * Nobu newest (formerly Centurion Tower) has the fewest rooms, and has a wide variation in reviews, mostly based on time. We they renovated and renamed with specialized services as "Nobu" reviews were nicer under the new name.
        * Rooms next to elevators usually mean more noise: these rooms are often at mid-point in service, so if elevator noise is not a factor, then (drunk or other) people going to/from the elevator may, and Maid service/supply closets are also usually close to mid-points, meaning more noise from maid service. Rooms at the end of hallways tend to be quieter, and again, more expensive. The further you get from the elevators, the less there is foot traffic outside your door.
        * Review your bill when you go to check-out. If you use the quick-check-out, make sure they charges match what you expect. Hotels can make mistakes, and some people may try to charge goods/services to rooms they are not using, such as your room, and every year there are complaints from attendees about unexpected extra charges when they get home. Review your service charges. When you book your room, ask for options to block charges to room, to deny such accidents or intentions.

This means, that certain priced rooms are limited to certain towers, and more refinement of room selection limits floor levels. Historically, in Las Vegas, for any given suite on any tower, suites (or penthouse) at the top are the most expensive, and suite below tend to be cheaper until you approach ground level, then some hotels include a limited number of nicer suites for people that need accessibility options, or for pets. Additionally, on any floor, when there is a "hallway" suites that occupy hotel corner with windows on two walls tend to be larger and more expensive than those not on corners, and those with a desired view (strip, fountain, etc.) tend to have higher prices than those that have a view of another tower, or parking garage.

I do not remember the source, but for Caesar's Palace:
        * Premium rooms come with beds, desks, chairs, armchairs and small dining tables. The bathrooms have dual showers, spa tubs and bidets.
        * Deluxe room features one king- or two queen-sized beds, a desk and chair and a small sitting area with an armchair and small sofa. The bathroom features a marble spa tub and vanity.

A google search of those phrases may provide a source for those claims: sorry I did not include a source for that data when I found it.

Look at a map of the hotel, and convention center and property and see where your tower is with respect to the convention center:

https://www.caesars.com/content/dam/...tyMap12216.pdf

You can see where the various towers are with respect to the convention center. The shortest path from some to the convention center may include walking through the pool area.

I do not know if any details have been published to show where you are allowed to enter the convention center space. It is possible and likely that which doors may be used to enter may not match those used to exit, and some doors not available early in the convention may become available later, or hose used early may become closed for entry.

As you know, DEF CON at new locations is a learning experience for all people involved, and Goons being able to "change plans" to best use the resources we have is common in DEF CON history. (There is no intention to be "mean" to people with the decision made -- there is intention to be as efficient as possible without having the fire marshal (or others) shut down the convention.)

As usual, if you have suggestions, complaints with suggested solutions, or other ideas after experiencing DEF CON, we will have a thread on the forums where we ask you for your ideas. DEF CON only gets better when problems are identified and solutions suggested.

Comment

TheCotMan..... you freaking rule.
          DJ Jackalope

send in the drop bears!

Comment

Working...
          X