Forum iOS and Android Apps - Feedback please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum iOS and Android Apps - Feedback please

We are getting the Android and iOS mobile apps published for forum.defcon.org

Currently the Android app is in beta and you can download it here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tin.build_6962

We finally got our iOS developer account activated so next week we should have a beta out there as well.

The big decision is do we enable push notifications or not?

PRO:
    • You get notifications (Sometimes, it's still buggy)
    • If it works it feels like all your other apps, you don't have to go looking to see if you got a new DM
    CON:
    • It means slightly less privacy because now Firebase (Android) and Apple notification servers will gather more data
    • Less secure forum server config because we have to send a bunch of notifications out all the time
    • Slightly more complex rules and configurations to manage
    We expect to be out of beta and published in the next 2-3 weeks so any feedback is appreciated!
    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP for email Key ID: 0x8B0B476D
    Fingerprint: EA2B 63F9 2219 9171 2AB1 0065 FC59 8B0B 476D

We got our iOS developer account at long last, I hope to get to it later this week.

In the mean time does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other about push notifications?

Comment

Push is fine as long as I can disable it. That way I can have it off except for the weeks around DEFCON when I want to keep on top of what's going on.

Thanks!

Comment

• Dark Tangent
        Dark Tangent commented
        Editing a comment
        I think if you disable "app background refresh" it stops push.

Looks like a new version of VB is about to be released that adds more support for push notifications, so if you are using the android application it might start behaving differently once we upgrade.

Also an updated iOS mobile app is out, and we are working to deploy it. I hope the combination of both make the forums more accessible on the go!

Comment

Thanks DT....any word on a DC 27 app to track talks etc. or will Hackertracker be updated that you know of?

Comment

• Dark Tangent
          Dark Tangent commented
          Editing a comment
          Hackertracker is the official app to use for DC 27, it's purpose built for that.

So, the icon isn't exactly great on android; are there plans to improve it or shall I override it in my launcher? It would be nice to get a white and alpha only version of the icon to select if possible.
        Last edited by EvilMoFo; July 4th, 2019, 20:28.

Comment

The Forums android app is giving me the following error when I try to log in or Skip

AppError [code: client_connection_error, extra: null, exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: Cannot verify hostname: forum.defcon.org]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMoFo View Post
            So, the icon isn't exactly great on android; are there plans to improve it or shall I override it in my launcher? It would be nice to get a white and alpha only version of the icon to select if possible.
            Yes, there are plans to replace the icon such that the background uses transparency instead of white.
            As far as I know, there are no plans yet to replace the concept of a blue dialogue caption.
            6: "Who is Number1?"
            2: "You are number6"
            6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

Originally posted by qumqats View Post
              The Forums android app is giving me the following error when I try to log in or Skip

AppError [code: client_connection_error, extra: null, exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: Cannot verify hostname: forum.defcon.org]
              I saw a similar error last night.
              It eventually went away.
              Then I could repeat this error by visiting (sandwich/hamburger) "Activity" , (top column name) "Forums" and then (left sub-column) "Recent" and then tap and drag conversations to look for more updates:
              Now I am unable to reproduce this error.

Would you try the app out now? Do you still see the error you were seeing earlier?

Thanks for the feedback!
              Last edited by number6; July 5th, 2019, 20:42.
              6: "Who is Number1?"
              2: "You are number6"
              6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

It would be funny except it isn't, we have tried over 25 different permutations of the icon png file to try and get transparency working. I don't know what kind of voodoo people use, but it just won't work.

We are following the specific guidelines for creating an icon, "72px square, 72dpi, RGB, flattened, transparency supported, 24bit PNG file type." but the background always come up solid or in a strange streaky pattern. We will keep at it.

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post

I saw a similar error last night.
                  It eventually went away.
                  Then I could repeat this error by visiting (sandwich/hamburger) "Activity" , (top column name) "Forums" and then (left sub-column) "Recent" and then tap and drag conversations to look for more updates:
                  Now I am unable to reproduce this error.

Would you try the app out now? Do you still see the error you were seeing earlier?

Thanks for the feedback!
                  no change, same error no matter how I try to get past the initial screen, tried it using both WiFi and Cell, I think at one point I only got the error when connecting using one of these, but now it's both

Comment

Working...
                  X