DEFCON 27 Registration Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON 27 Registration Location

This is my first time attending DEFCON and I am wondering which hotel is used for opening day registration, (i.e. Where do I take my money to get a badge)?

Paris ballroom is main registration
    The Dark Tangent: Use PGP for email Key ID: 0x8B0B476D
    Fingerprint: EA2B 63F9 2219 9171 2AB1 0065 FC59 8B0B 476D

Comment

The Paris convention space is where Registration will be. This is actually half way between Bally's and Paris . There's a strip of fancy shops in between. In the middle is an info kiosk with a near life size bronze statue of a street sweeper. This is at the entrance into the convention space. The registration stations where you hand over the cash will be on the right, but you'll be directed into some rooms on the left where they'll have the line weaving back and forth and finally coming back out into the hall and the registration stations. I'd expect Registration to start selling Badges on Thur at 6am.

People will start lining up mid afternoon Wed, but this is more for participation in LineCon, not out of necessity. LineCon is an event unto itself A combination of socializing, party, and watching the craziness of DEFCON. People will camp in line overnight and be the first to get badges the next morning.

You don't really need to do this, I'd suggest you wait till mid morning when the worst of the line is over. By noon it should be gone or almost. If you do get stuck in line, or go earlier, get to know the people around you. DEFCON is a great opportunity to network, meet new people, learn new things.

Hope to see you there, have a great time

https://defcon.org/images/defcon-27/...nal-public.pdf

Comment

Does registration have hours of operation, or will it be manned 24/7? Competing in the Wicked6 on the 8th, and I have no idea what time we'll be able to get there. I tried finding this answer elsewhere and have come up empty. Obviously a DefCon n00b. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by FalkensDisciple View Post
          Does registration have hours of operation, or will it be manned 24/7? Competing in the Wicked6 on the 8th, and I have no idea what time we'll be able to get there. I tried finding this answer elsewhere and have come up empty. Obviously a DefCon n00b. Thanks in advance for your help!
          Historically, the place to buy DEF CON Human Badges has hours of operation. The have usually closed at night, and re-open in the morning. Their hours of operation are often posted on signs where they operate, when they are closed.

Sometimes, for the first day of badge sales, the sale of badges will open much earlier than all of the other days.

Some people will start getting in line to buy badges the day before sales begin, and then hang-out with other people waiting in line, socializing.

On the last Day of con, badge sales has usually closed down much earlier than the other days.

Historically, it has been acceptable for a person to buy many badges, so if you know and trust someone to wait in line and buy your badge for you, and then give it to you later, then that may be an option for you. (I've heard of people buying 10 badges for several people without a problem.)
          6: "Who is Number1?"
          2: "You are number6"
          6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

Originally posted by FalkensDisciple View Post
            I would expect Registration to open at 6am and stay open until 8 or 9pm on Thur.

Comment

Originally posted by qumqats View Post

I would expect Registration to open at 6am and stay open until 8 or 9pm on Thur.
              Are the Swag hours of operations the same? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 312pana View Post

Are the Swag hours of operations the same? Thanks!
                I do not work for "SWAG Booth" or "Vendor Area" or "Contest/Events" or "Villages" or "Workshops": Nothing I write here is authoritative. What I write is based on past observation:

At DEF CON, there is a place often referred to as "The SWAG Booth" or "The DEF CON Booth" or "The DEF CON SWAG Booth" which is a booth for selling DEF CON stuff, often separate from the vendor room, and often open as early as Thursday shortly after badge sales are open at registration.

Thursday is a strange day. Lots of people spend time to get a badge early, but *most* of the con has not been open for service. Usually, a few things start opening up on Thursday at around 10am, including a 101 speaking Track, and maybe more non 101 talks, but it also has been a day for off-site events like the unofficial event "DEF CON Shoot" and the "Toxic BBQ" and more. In the past, some workshops were scheduled to open on Thursday, but these were pre-purchased through online registration for this year. I do not know the present state of on-site sales of workshops, or waiting lists. The people that run workshops will know how and when access to workshops can be completed, and what options exist on-site, and when. Many workshops require attendees enrolled to have equipment, or be provided with equipment. I do not know if exceptions have been made for instructors to sell equipment to people enrolled, but not prepared with the proper equipment.

The "Vendor Room" (not the same as the SWAG Booth) has often used Thursday to setup, and was not usually open to attendees. Though it is possible for vendors area to be open on Thursday, I would not expect that to happen. Check on site in the program, or use an app for Android/iPhone (Hacker Tracker) or qumqats (the same user that replied to you) has often assembled html, rich-text documents and e-reader documents with schedules or check at an info-desk, or through a website while at DEF CON for schedules, hours of operation, and revised updates for these.

The Contests/Events spaces have occasionally had cases where some things were made available for sale (for example, the car hacking village many years ago, once sold kits in the contest area) and I have seen some villages have things for sale *in the past*. Complications were created with the "new" Nevada tax laws. The overhead imposed likely restricts where transactions are permitted. (See: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-2...endor-faq.html ) I do not know if plans have been made to include sales outside of the Vendor area for DEF CON 27. You should expect that some things *could* end up being made available for sale outside of "Registration" , "Swag Booth" or the "Vendor room" even if sales end up being limited to these. Issues with transactions in various locations around DEF CON creates complications, so attempts have been made to try to reduce the locations for transactions.

Summary:
                At a minimum, expect to be able to buy things at: Registration (your badge), "The DEF CON SWAG Booth" (often separate from the Vendor Area), and the Vendor Room.
                Registration (badge sales) should open on Thursday morning, early.
                "The DEF CON SWAG Booth" will probably be open on Thursday, a short time after badges are available for sale.
                The "Vendor Room" should be open by Friday. It is possible it *might* open on Thursday, but don't expect that.

Due to Nevada laws, you should not *expect* to see swag for sale outside those 3 areas, but accept that exceptions might be made.
                Last edited by number6; 3 weeks ago.
                6: "Who is Number1?"
                2: "You are number6"
                6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

Working...
                X