• Hide Date of Birth field in registration if not required
    Bugs Resolved
    • Blogs -> Edit Article failed.
    • Correct login credentials in COPPA's parent email
    • Facebook login stuck at login screen on subsequent attemps
    • Facebook Connect is not hidden if FB app credentials were not setup
    • Fix Download Attachment folders
    • Forums Page - Pagination for Page 1 does not work
    • Articles -> Comments -> Clicking the comment author's name does not redirect to user profile.
    • Articles Page - Selecting the Categories Tab makes the Front Page/Popular tabs to be blank
    • Blogs Page - Tapping on the Avatar picture does not open the user's profile
    • Add Thread/Main Forum/Forum - Unrealized changes when select prefix
    • New Thread/Blog/Article Page - Descenders are being cut on Title
    • Forums Page - Copying/Moving a Post leaves the destination selected
    • New Thread/Blog/Article Page - Emojis card background gets cut at the bottom corners
    • Forums Page -Separation lines are not consistently being drawn
    • Activity Page - Posts separation lines are not drawn all the way across the page
    • Forums Page - Copy/Move CTA pop up elements spacing its not even
    • Articles Page - Creating a second article has the previous option selected
    Translations

If the Mobile Suite is not available in your language, you can help by providing translations. In order to do this, please see this topic in the vBulletin Support forums.
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

As such, any new features like this should be device-neutral- able to be accessed from any device.

Comment

Both iOS and Android mobile apps have been update to version 2.4 from 2.3

This release is mostly a big bug fix release:

From https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...-now-available

The following improvements have been added to the Mobile Suite Apps.
        • Add Ukrainian translations
        • When opening a push notification it sometimes doesn't reduce the subscription count
        • Notifications do not reload automatically
        • Hide Create Account button if registration is not allowed
        • Android 10 compatibility
        Bugs Resolved

The following bugs have been resolved in the Mobile Suite Apps.
        • Blogs Page - Blog entries are missing the creation time
        • Messages Page - Forwarding a Message with BBCode forwards it as plain text
        • Articles Page - Editing an existing article title deletes the existing title
        • Search Page - There is a blank space at the beginning of the title
        • RTL texts become LTR alignment if the device language is using LTR
        • Notifications - Reading an unread subscription doesn't decrease the notification count for Subscriptions.
        • Article with embedded link fails to open on Android
        • Password length requirement failed when creating a new user
        • Resolved an issue where the keyboard cannot be displayed
        • Password number, uppercase, special characters requirement failed
        • App gets stuck with the push notification post
        • Notifications Page - Requests do not have the users avatar
        • Read count is always 0 if reply count is more than 0
        • The Content Editor can crash the app
        PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

The Android mobile app hasn't worked for me for a year or two. I just tried again and still not working.

Phone: LG Stylo 3
          Droid version: 7.0 with the latest updates released by LG for this phone, Jan 1 2019

Symptom: I start up the app, the login screen appears and a popup is on top of it with "Initial Configuration An error occurred while installing application with server Exit app Retry"

I've cleared the app data, no change, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, no change.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by qumqats View Post
            The Android mobile app hasn't worked for me for a year or two. I just tried again and still not working.

Phone: LG Stylo 3
            Droid version: 7.0 with the latest updates released by LG for this phone, Jan 1 2019

Symptom: I start up the app, the login screen appears and a popup is on top of it with "Initial Configuration An error occurred while installing application with server Exit app Retry"

I've cleared the app data, no change, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, no change.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
            I've not seen this error before. I've not bee able to duplicate it.
            The latest version published in 2.4.0 (a 2.4.1 should be coming soon, but the items claimed fixed between 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 do not mention this as an issue.)
            Is the version you have installed reporting it is version 2.4,0 ?
            You've mentioned clearing app data, uninstalling and reinstalling, so I could assume that means you have 2.4.0, but I would like to get explicit confirmation of this.

When you "cleared app data" was that a "clear cache" and "clear data" , or did your OS do the expected thing when you "clear data" and also "clear cache" for you?

Looking at app info:
            * App notification : is this set to be on and allow notifications?
            * Permissions : (I am right now testing with no extra permissions granted: no camera, no location, no phone, no storage)
            * Open by default : nothing set: empty.
            * Draw over other apps : Not allowed
            * App details: app installed from Google Play ?
            * Version: 2.4.0 ?

Does you app info look something like that?

When you see this error, it is before you are able to even enter in credentials to login? (It sounds like no login possible if popup over login screen, but trying to not make assumptions)

Would you be using the same forum account you used to post this message? (I may not need this if you don't even get to enter your credentials)

According to URL1=https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/view...on=7.0&key=139 :
            It looks like Android 7.0 supports TLS/1.2 , but does not support TLS/1.3 : the present forums supports both. Do you know if your Android 7.0 device supports TLS 1.2?
            Same document says Android 7.0 supports the same ciphers as the forums for TLS/1.2:
            TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
            TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384

Would you be willing to use a web browser on your phone (like Chrome, FireFox, which do their own crypto, but not web browsers like "OperaMini" which offload crypto to a cluster of servers) would you try checking to see that your device support at least TLS/1.2 and at least the two cipher suites mentioned above?

URL2=https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

Are you able to use a web browser app on your phone to browse to the forums directly (no need to login with a mobile app web browser if this error appears before you can login using the forum app.) The assumption here is, if your other app browsers are able to browse to forums with https, then they probably use the same system crypto libs are the forum app, and if their crypto works, then forum app probably should work : big assumption.)

Are you using any kind of Tor or VPN (OpenVPN, IPSec) tunnel? If you are able to safely disable it temporarily, does the problem happen when not on Tor/VPN?

Is your mobile device's primary/default language set to be English or some other language? If not English, then what language?

Is this app running in a protected container which has no access to send or receive GPN ("Google Push Notification")?

It looks like the vendor's version 2.0 mentioned minimum version of Android supported was 5.0, and none of the releases since (2.1.0, 2.2.0, 2.3.0, 2.4.0) mention any change to minimum android version supported.

Thanks for any other information you can provide.
            Last edited by number6; 1 week ago.
            6: "Who is Number1?"
            2: "You are number6"
            6: "I am not a number!..."

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post

I've not seen this error before. I've not bee able to duplicate it.
              The latest version published in 2.4.0 (a 2.4.1 should be coming soon, but the items claimed fixed between 2.4.0 and 2.4.1 do not mention this as an issue.)
              Is the version you have installed reporting it is version 2.4,0 ?
              You've mentioned clearing app data, uninstalling and reinstalling, so I could assume that means you have 2.4.0, but I would like to get explicit confirmation of this.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-26-23-24-42.png
Views:	30
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	231255
              When you "cleared app data" was that a "clear cache" and "clear data" , or did your OS do the expected thing when you "clear data" and also "clear cache" for you?
              I just tried a "clear data" again and it grays out the "clear cache". When I try to start up the DEF CON Forums app I get asked "Allow DEF CON to access photos, media, and files on your device? Deny Allow" I've tried both and get same result of the Initial Configuration error.
              Looking at app info:
              * App notification : is this set to be on and allow notifications?
              * Permissions : (I am right now testing with no extra permissions granted: no camera, no location, no phone, no storage)
              * Open by default : nothing set: empty.
              * Draw over other apps : Not allowed
              * App details: app installed from Google Play ?
              * Version: 2.4.0 ?

Does you app info look something like that?
              No notifications are turned on
              I originally had Storage on, so turned it off, but no success, same result.
              yes
              yes
              yes
              yes
              everything matches except for Storage, but making that match didn't fix it
              When you see this error, it is before you are able to even enter in credentials to login? (It sounds like no login possible if popup over login screen, but trying to not make assumptions)
              correct, no login possible
              Would you be using the same forum account you used to post this message? (I may not need this if you don't even get to enter your credentials)
              yes
              According to URL1=https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/view...on=7.0&key=139 :
              It looks like Android 7.0 supports TLS/1.2 , but does not support TLS/1.3 : the present forums supports both. Do you know if your Android 7.0 device supports TLS 1.2?
              don't know, how would I tell?
              Same document says Android 7.0 supports the same ciphers as the forums for TLS/1.2:
              TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
              TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384

Would you be willing to use a web browser on your phone (like Chrome, FireFox, which do their own crypto, but not web browsers like "OperaMini" which offload crypto to a cluster of servers) would you try checking to see that your device support at least TLS/1.2 and at least the two cipher suites mentioned above?

URL2=https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-26-22-56-02 (1).png
Views:	49
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	231254
              Are you able to use a web browser app on your phone to browse to the forums directly (no need to login with a mobile app web browser if this error appears before you can login using the forum app.) The assumption here is, if your other app browsers are able to browse to forums with https, then they probably use the same system crypto libs are the forum app, and if their crypto works, then forum app probably should work : big assumption.)
              I just successfully logged into the forum and read some postings. It's painful on such a small screen, but works. I've done this in years past during DC since the App didn't work.
              Are you using any kind of Tor or VPN (OpenVPN, IPSec) tunnel? If you are able to safely disable it temporarily, does the problem happen when not on Tor/VPN?
              no, not using any of those
              Is your mobile device's primary/default language set to be English or some other language? If not English, then what language?
              default language not changed, so yes, English
              Is this app running in a protected container which has no access to send or receive GPN ("Google Push Notification")?
              no
              It looks like the vendor's version 2.0 mentioned minimum version of Android supported was 5.0, and none of the releases since (2.1.0, 2.2.0, 2.3.0, 2.4.0) mention any change to minimum android version supported.

Thanks for any other information you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by qumqats View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-26-23-24-42.png Views:	0 Size:	66.8 KB ID:	231255

I just tried a "clear data" again and it grays out the "clear cache". When I try to start up the DEF CON Forums app I get asked "Allow DEF CON to access photos, media, and files on your device? Deny Allow" I've tried both and get same result of the Initial Configuration error.

No notifications are turned on
                I originally had Storage on, so turned it off, but no success, same result.
                yes
                yes
                yes
                yes
                everything matches except for Storage, but making that match didn't fix it

correct, no login possible

yes

don't know, how would I tell?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-26-22-56-02 (1).png Views:	0 Size:	211.5 KB ID:	231254

I just successfully logged into the forum and read some postings. It's painful on such a small screen, but works. I've done this in years past during DC since the App didn't work.

no, not using any of those

default language not changed, so yes, English

no

Thanks for all of the details and answers!

The crypto details your provide implies your OS and apps are able to use TLS/1.2 and support Cipher suites the web server supports.
                You being able to login using a web browser on the same device also supports this: the device's crypto libraries support the encryption the server offers.
                (Thanks for testing a web browser for login. I agree, web browsers on mobile for forums are harder to read than the mobile version.)
                I'll assume this means it is not a crypto library issue. (big assumption, but best choice we have.)

I've searched for other people with this issue, and only found one, and they said they were able to fix it, but no details on how.
                I've asked that user if they can explain what they did to fix this.
                If I could duplicate this issue, I'd have a very good chance at diagnosing this (comparing client and server sessions, look for errors and see if I can find causes.)

If you are willing, would you send me a forum "Private Message / Direct Message" and let me know the source IP address you might use for a test?
                If so, then, again, clear app data, force stop the app, and slide the app off the list of running apps if still present.
                PM me the time (GMT and specify GMT or if not GMT your local time and time zone) when you start the app. Feel free to wait ~10 second and change whatever options you want in the app and then try to launch it again. Run with as many variations as you want.
                Let me know when you finish (time / date.)
                I can then look at the logs on the server from your IP at or after that stated time and see if I can find any clues as to what is failing.
                I can compare it to another device running an Android OS and version 2.4.0 and see if the flow for session conversation is different between working and not-working.

I understand if you prefer not to share the IP address you will be using when you test.
                If you need me to demonstrate I am really an Admin here (and not just setting my user description to claim "Admin") I can do something admin-like on the forums to show it: setup static web page on the forums which demonstrates I have write access to the Web Root for example.)

Sorry the app is not working for you; we do try to test the apps (iOS and Android) but can't fix problems we don't experience. :-/

Another question: were you in the early beta or alpha tests of this app? If so, do you have 2 copies of this app installed? I don't recall the name of the earlier versions of the test app, but they may not start with "DEF CON".
                Last edited by number6; 1 week ago.

Comment

New Mobile Application 4.2.1 has been submitted to the two app stores.

New Changes are:
                  Improved Right To Left (RTL) language support
                  Various bug fixes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tin.build_6962
                  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/def-co...s/id1472107132

Comment

qumqats: I don't expect this to fix the issues you are seeing, but try upgrading to the DEF CON Forum app for android version 2.4.1 which should be in Google Play,

Comment

Working...
                    X