Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefCon Groups Discord

Hey,

I'd like to set up a Discord server for my DCG but it may be worth creating one larger Discord Server for all the DCGs.

What does everyone think of this idea?

- Allen

We have thought about running a DEF CON Discord server, but we get hung up on managing the moderation of people SPAM or violate our CoC.

How do you manage it?
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent
      We have thought about running a DEF CON Discord server, but we get hung up on managing the moderation of people SPAM or violate our CoC.

How do you manage it?

I believe that with moderators and bots.

There are large servers with more than 20k users, and in a way it is well organized and structured.

On the DC5551 we have a small server and I think it would be fantastic to have an official DEF CON server

Comment

Agreed. You could also limit the invitations to only members of groups.

I was going to start one for Melbourne DCG but I figured that it would be nice to have a larger one so that there is interaction between the groups. I am already friendly with peeps from other DCGs and wouldn't want to have to join 100 different Discord servers.

Comment

That sounds totally reasonable, checking into it now.
          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

That sounds totally reasonable, checking into it now.

If you need help, I’m available.

Comment

I helped setup the BeatSaber Discord awhile back, Bots are key and lots of moderators to keep the trolls down, Also can help if subgroups of the DC Groups can mod their own channels / groups as well

Comment

I think people modding their own areas with Goons supervising the overall scene is the best all around?

Comment

I think people modding their own areas with Goons supervising the overall scene is the best all around?

I believe it is a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                    It does work pretty well, There are discord bots that do a kind of ticketing system, a dedicated room per ticket is made and assigned to someone, This can help when dealing with large amounts of people and reports that people are making / requesting for help

Comment

What does everyone think of this idea?

Comment

Working...
                      X