Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to ask some questions about hardware hacking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to ask some questions about hardware hacking?

I don't know if many eyes are looking this thread.

I need to solve some questions about HH I'm having:

Alternatives to FlashCatUSB?

Not sure how much of a response you will get here. You might ask your question in the HHV channels of the DEF CON Discord once that gets going.

I've not personally used FlashCatUSB. I use a mix of different devices that are a little more specialized. e.g. for flash device read/write I use a TL866, I've got a JLink for generic JTAG needs, BusPirate for probing/emulation, etc. What specifically about the FlashCat are you looking for an alternative for?

Comment

Originally posted by l33tbunni View Post
      Not sure how much of a response you will get here. You might ask your question in the HHV channels of the DEF CON Discord once that gets going.

I've not personally used FlashCatUSB. I use a mix of different devices that are a little more specialized. e.g. for flash device read/write I use a TL866, I've got a JLink for generic JTAG needs, BusPirate for probing/emulation, etc. What specifically about the FlashCat are you looking for an alternative for?
      Thanks for your answer. I was thinking about using the Discord channels, but I guess I can't wait :)

I'm trying to read NAND memories. (TSOP-48 Type B) [extracted from thumbdrives, mp3 players, etc]. I also have a PirateBus I might try to use an adapter to do that.

Comment

I've never had to directly dump NAND so I don't have too many recommendations there. I doubt a BusPirate can interface with that. I'd recommend taking a look at the TL866II, I _think_ they can handle a number of NAND devices. Take a look at their compatibility list and see if that lines up with what you are looking to capture.

Comment

Originally posted by l33tbunni View Post
          I've never had to directly dump NAND so I don't have too many recommendations there. I doubt a BusPirate can interface with that. I'd recommend taking a look at the TL866II, I _think_ they can handle a number of NAND devices. Take a look at their compatibility list and see if that lines up with what you are looking to capture.
          Thanks a lot. I'll check TL866II.

Comment

Working...
          X