Linux On Sony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux On Sony?

K, I'm looking into getting a new laptop. A Sony GRS something or other. Just asking if anyone has one and has tried installing Linux on it. Getting rid of the Toshiba (:D check toshiba troubles for a full detail ) and until SW 9.0 came out with the Toshiba problems fixed on it I had no success. I just wanted to check ahead to see what people have heard about blah, blah, blah. YES, I've googled, been to linux-laptops.net, and the linux questions forum. Anyone seen anything related?
    Killing threads one post at a time...

Re: Linux On Sony?

Originally posted by Cyb3RSoldi3R
    K, I'm looking into getting a new laptop. A Sony GRS something or other. Just asking if anyone has one and has tried installing Linux on it. Getting rid of the Toshiba (:D check toshiba troubles for a full detail ) and until SW 9.0 came out with the Toshiba problems fixed on it I had no success. I just wanted to check ahead to see what people have heard about blah, blah, blah. YES, I've googled, been to linux-laptops.net, and the linux questions forum. Anyone seen anything related?
    I haven't seen anything on it, but, a friend of mine bought a Sony laptop in the last 6 months or so, I don't remember what model, but he got several flavours working on there no problem. I think he finally settled on Slack. Sorry I can't be a little more helpful, but, it is possible to run Linux on a Sony, I'm not sure how difficult it was for him though.

-PoT

Comment

I've put redhat on sony's and they worked fine. I also tried NetBSD, but it failed to boot at all.

Comment

Don't down play yourself, that was more helpful then anyone else I asked. Getting anything to run linux IS POSSIBLE, don't mistake me on that, but I'd rather be ready for what I'm jumping into. The Toshiba was a nightmare.

Standings On Toshiba 5005-S504

Got to prompt:

RedHat 7.2
        RedHat 7.3
        Mandrake
        Slack 9.0

Wouldn't Install:

RedHat 8.0
        FreeBSD 5.0
        OpenBSD 3.2
        WarLinux ver. 0.5

Installed but booted with synching Errors:

Slackware 8.1
        DeBian 3.0r1
        Killing threads one post at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by Cyb3RSoldi3R
          Getting anything to run linux IS POSSIBLE,
          It's true, My cat is now running on Slack.
          .: Grifter :.

Comment

Working...
          X